kelinci

Apr 5, 2011
Hi everyone,

I just wanted to give a heads up about a number of robberies that have been taking place in Kutuh Kajah, Ubud lately. I was robbed a few weeks ago from my rental house while I was out for the day. The thieves came in broad daylight, crawled through my bathroom window and took everything of any value, including a computer, iPad, camera, etc. Oh - and a backpack so they could cart all my stuff out. Lovely. I figure they had been watching me for a while and saw that I was a single girl living there, so possibly an easy target.

In the past few months there have been numerous robberies in the area, all break and enter type deals. In fact, the day I got robbed another person had their iPad nicked from their house while they were in the shower. Many others have lost computers, cellphones, money and passports, and some have even been robbed in their own homes while they were sleeping. It seems that Kutuh Kajah is quickly turning into the new Penestanan.

I don't want to fearmonger, because despite my experience, I still think Ubud is a pretty safe spot. But I do think it's important that people be aware this stuff is going on so that you can take precautions. Lock your doors and windows when you go out and at night, keep an eye out for shady people, and don't flaunt anything you don't want to lose.

Larnes

Jul 28, 2008
Myfriends were robbed central ubud last year, in the evening while they were home. Robbers went room to room, their 14 year old daughter p pretended to be asleep while a guy went through her possessions, freaked them understandably. Some of these robbers seem very brazen.

Euc-

Nov 28, 2012
Someone tried to break in at my neighbors' place a few weeks ago, in clear daylight. He got caught and beaten half to death by a very quickly gathered crowd. After he was KO, and a few kicks to the head for dessert, he was thrown (literally) into the back of a pick-up truck and driven away.

I do not know who the pick-up truck belongs to, nor what happened to the guy.

Point of the story, make friends in your Banjar and it could help prevent a lot of things.

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Yeah Ecu I do agree about the friends bit.

I have a stupid question: Were there no dogs at any of these places? I ask for obvious reasons that in my neighborhood houses/villas all have dogs and they bark like hell and would literally eat anyone coming onto the property uninvited.

Rambutmerah

Jul 30, 2006
My friend Gloria living in a small village outside of Lovina has had thiefs in her house twice in a very short while. A terrible experience for her and her daughter. After the first time they went to Ubud and bought a Rottweiler puppy. When it's fully grown it will be a good thing to have in the house to deter future atempts to break in to the house.
Other villagers has also been visited by thiefs and there is now guards watching out for new attempts.

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Does anyone have recommendations for a good watchdog that would be good and friendly for the people living/staying in the house but bark loudly at intruders? Don't really want a killing machine Rottweiler or the like. Have an old dog already but his "scaring" days are just about over.

Was thinking a white Kintimani pup would be good but I would have to train him to wear lipstick - can't stand walking behind dogs that are all asshole and keep winking at me...

ronb

Aug 14, 2007
Ubud, Bali
OK, so I live in Kutuh Kaja and had no idea (sorry no.idea) that there was a crime wave in progress. Before being here, I was in Penestanan and had no idea that there were any problems there. So what does this mean?

Firstly, i think it means that crime statistics are not easily available - maybe don't eve exist - so it's not all that surprising I don't know. Secondly, it could be that a certain class of property is being targeted, and I am not living in one of those.

There is talk about dogs. Where I am now, there is a dog (a Bali dog I think, but he is more brown than most) in a cage. He is very good at barking at anyone new, at anything odd, like the gate is left open. However, many visitors are horrified at this cage. But Bali dogs who are not caged, are out and about and probably not here when the problem arises.

From my experience, i would say you are fairly safe if living in a room/bungalow that is within a compound where the owner and family also live. They, in effect, are acting as the security staff and will advise you if you are taking undue risks with your "valuables".

Last edited:

sherm

Nov 17, 2011
Does anyone have recommendations for a good watchdog that would be good and friendly for the people living/staying in the house but bark loudly at intruders? Don't really want a killing machine Rottweiler or the like. Have an old dog already but his "scaring" days are just about over.

Was thinking a white Kintimani pup would be good but I would have to train him to wear lipstick - can't stand walking behind dogs that are all asshole and keep winking at me...
Try taking this guy our for a walk in the neighborhood. Word will get around.lion.jpg

Natasha

Dec 1, 2010
Kerobokan
I live in Kerobokan on a very small gang and over the past 2 months 5 homes have been broken into- 2 westerner's villas and 3 locals' homes. The robberies all happened in the middle of the night, a few at a time, everyone home and sleeping (one place did have a dog). There seems to be an increase of robbery & crime, be very careful!

mooching

Dec 17, 2010
QLD

Dobermans are the only way to go mate, a very intelligent and loyal dog that would safeguard the family and family home and scare the bejesus out of anyone who sees it and considers robbing you. Not too sure what they look like in lipstick though.

chasingsunsets

Jan 29, 2013
there was a recent article in The Australian on rising crime in Canggu, with possible involvement of Javanese mafia, 19 Jan 2013.
There is certainly increasing crime issues around Ubud - it helps if you live in a family compound and also if you live in the residential area of a banjar, and not on agricultural land which is less protected by local law and obligations (adat). A lot of places being targeted are located on what was once rice fields.

hinakos

Sep 3, 2008
Bali + Vietnam
javanese mafia?

how the *$%@ would they be allowed to operate here (if there even is such a thing)?

is there a link to the article?

be interesting to know who was the brains behind that article.

chasingsunsets

Jan 29, 2013
I'm new here, so it wouldn't let me add the link :) Google it, Shadows over paradise, The Australian. I can appreciate your skepticism but the journalist in question is pretty tuned into her surroundings and Java, in various forms, has had its fingers in the lucrative Bali pie for decades now (see Picard's work on the political history of cultural tourism in Bali as one example).

hinakos

Sep 3, 2008
Bali + Vietnam
Ahhh yes, i already read that one. Yep you cant add things until a minimum number of posts has been made.

Agreed Java has had its hand in the Bali Pie for years...on a political level.

But the implication was made that organised crime from Java was involved (javanese mafia?)

On a criminal level (at least organised / structured crime), its pretty much a closed shop here.

Outside competition is not tolerated in any form.

Of course there's thousand of opportunists from all over the country in Bali at any one time waiting to make a quick buck when they can.

Welcome to the forum by the way.

chasingsunsets

Jan 29, 2013
Looked at story again, apparently the mafia angle (actually referred to as organised crime syndicate in article) is attributed to comments from a former police chief of the kuta utara district (I know!). As you say its a closed shop, though there must be links across islands - if only to facilitate movement of Javanese sex workers etc, though of course could also be facilitated by Balinese connections in Java. Thanks for the welcome Hinakos!

gilbert de jong

Jan 20, 2009
Panji, Singaraja.
as for the sexworkers, one doesn't have to be part of any crime syndicate to get some girls overhere to Bali from Java.
I am not part of any crime syndicate in Indonesia, but to get some girls over from java to Bali, that would just take a phonecall and ofcourse pay for their travelexpenses.