matf

Dec 14, 2011
kerobokan
Hi all i currently workout at hammerhead, and looking to tone up and bulk up slightly
but im not seeing the results i should be.

i work out 3 to 5 times per week

but im looking for someone to push me to the next level, with some good routines

weather it be personal trainer or gym buddy with some good routines and nutrition knowledge

i know that hammer head have trainers but they are charging 200k per hour lesson..

i dont want to sound stingy but that is too expensive it will send me broke

just thought you guys might know someone ?

or have some ideas

or even start a small workout group with guys looking to do the same?

thanks

mat

Dec 18, 2008
Singaraja
Hi all i currently workout at hammerhead, and looking to tone up and bulk up slightly
but im not seeing the results i should be
Are you doing at least 15mins hard aerobic exercise [on a bike or like] first before training to get your heart pumping? If you don't you wont see results.

gilbert de jong

Jan 20, 2009
Panji, Singaraja.
you can't do "tone up" and "bulk up" at the same time...
either bulk up, lift/push heavy but not many reps,
or toning, lift/push light but many reps, and burning fat and losing 'water' with mat's suggestion.

matf

Dec 14, 2011
kerobokan
Yeah I do 10 mins on 10 on te running and 10 mins rowing before weights training, an try to keep my hr ubove 120

I just do a beginner full body weight routine every other day

And my body kills on my rest day

I'm seeing results but not as much as I would like,

I think I really need some to push me harder and really help me focus on my food intake

Sorry if this is turning into an excersize thread

matf

Dec 14, 2011
kerobokan
you can't do "tone up" and "bulk up" at the same time...
either bulk up, lift/push heavy but not many reps,
or toning, lift/push light but many reps, and burning fat and losing 'water' with mat's suggestion.

Yeah that's what I'm trying to do, get my body into good shape then increase size, only slightly

phil170258

Feb 13, 2011
200,000 is actually very reasonable for a personal trainer - maybe do 5 sessions only to get you on the right track, get a program set up
but i guess it's only reasonable if they know what they're talking about!
as for losing weight, all the new research suggests that High Intensity Interval Training is the way to go, that only getting your hr up to only 120 isn't going to get great results.
you need to get it up to max (220 minus your age) or close to your max for short periods followed by rest periods ie 10 cycles of (30 secs flat out and then 1.5 mins rest) the stationary exercise bike is great for this, or the treadmill, or the cross trainer. if you do this you'll get what's called the afterburn affect where your body continues to burn calories after you've exercised.
i would also suggest that if you want to grow bulk you'd need some sort of protein powder in your diet (just not one that's got steroids!). can be expensive in bali but pm if you need some because there's somebody from my gym who gets it for a reasonable price
and good luck - keep persevering, get some expert advice and you will see results!!

sakumabali

Apr 2, 2010
try the 3 split, 1. day: back & biceps, 2. chest & triceps, 3. day: shoulders & legs 4. day rest & repeat....muscles have more time to relax, beginner's fault is to do too often the same muscles (like biceps f.e.)

try Creatine monohydrat

matf

Dec 14, 2011
kerobokan
200,000 is actually very reasonable for a personal trainer - maybe do 5 sessions only to get you on the right track, get a program set up
but i guess it's only reasonable if they know what they're talking about!
as for losing weight, all the new research suggests that High Intensity Interval Training is the way to go, that only getting your hr up to only 120 isn't going to get great results.
you need to get it up to max (220 minus your age) or close to your max for short periods followed by rest periods ie 10 cycles of (30 secs flat out and then 1.5 mins rest) the stationary exercise bike is great for this, or the treadmill, or the cross trainer. if you do this you'll get what's called the afterburn affect where your body continues to burn calories after you've exercised.
i would also suggest that if you want to grow bulk you'd need some sort of protein powder in your diet (just not one that's got steroids!). can be expensive in bali but pm if you need some because there's somebody from my gym who gets it for a reasonable price
and good luck - keep persevering, get some expert advice and you will see results!!

thanks for the reply, as far as protein powder is concerned, i basically want a zero sugar low carb whey protein yeah? less flavoring ect the better? or are the ones mixed with amino and other things better?

matf

Dec 14, 2011
kerobokan
try the 3 split, 1. day: back & biceps, 2. chest & triceps, 3. day: shoulders & legs 4. day rest & repeat....muscles have more time to relax, beginner's fault is to do too often the same muscles (like biceps f.e.)

try Creatine monohydrat

thanks i was thinking to start doing separate muscle groups but jst want to git my fitness up to scratch first, also need to find a good routine, hence a trainer

if i start with creatine, should i do creating loading? to get enough in my system,

gilbert de jong

Jan 20, 2009
Panji, Singaraja.
alright...then you should skip the cardio, i.e. running/cycling/rowing..
you don't want to burn fat now and lose weight, low sugar is ok but you need high carbs..eggs,eggs,eggs, pasta, pasta, pasta, chicken.
you need carbs to grow.
heavy lifting not many reps, for example better to benchpress 80kg 4times then 60kg 10 times.
go to the max and a bit over what you can actually lift..(need spotter)
it will take time to grow, if you're trainig the natural way (no steriods)..

matf

Dec 14, 2011
kerobokan
you don't want to burn fat now and lose weight, low sugar is ok but you need high carbs..eggs,eggs,eggs, pasta, pasta, pasta, chicken.
you need carbs to grow.
heavy lifting not many reps, for example better to benchpress 80kg 4times then 60kg 10 times.

Cool thanks for the reply I'll give it a go

mat

Dec 18, 2008
Singaraja
you need carbs to grow.

With respect Gilbert, you need to do the cardio first if you want to build muscle. Your heart must be working hard before the training. I had a trainer years ago and he always said this was imperative to body building. You muscle needs the extra oxygen to work hard. As you say after training hard, feed you body. I always had protein drinks with a large slice of chocolate cake and plenty of beers. Had pretty impressive results [although you wouldn't know it now.]
On the machines set the weights so you can do 10 reps, every day try to do more until you can do 20, the put the weights up and repeat.
I would say you do need to burn fat and convert to muscle, you body will be more efficient at growing muscle rather than get into the habit of storing energy as fat.
If you check it out on the internet I'm sure you will be able to confirm this.

Last edited:

phil170258

Feb 13, 2011
ok 6ft and 75kg - now i see where you're coming from!
i also wouldn't bother with much cardio - only enough to keep you reasonably fit
and lots and lots of protein (be it powder or meat/fish/chicken) - keep away from that useless white rice
and don't forget your core - lots of squats/lunges, no good having the biggest guns in seminyak if your core is weak!

gilbert de jong

Jan 20, 2009
Panji, Singaraja.
With respect Gilbert, you need to do the cardio first if you want to build muscle. Your heart must be working hard before the training. I had a trainer years ago and he always said this was imperative to body building. You muscle needs the extra oxygen to work hard. As you say after training hard, feed you body. I always had protein drinks with a large slice of chocolate cake and plenty of beers. Had pretty impressive results [although you wouldn't know it now.]
On the machines set the weights so you can do 10 reps, every day try to do more until you can do 20, the put the weights up and repeat.
I would say you do need to burn fat and convert to muscle, you body will be more efficient at growing muscle rather than get into the habit of storing energy as fat.
If you check it out on the internet I'm sure you will be able to confirm this.

also with respect mat :)
but if I am not mistaken he wants to gain muscle weight and have a bigger body, toned and bigger.
Now if he would start to burn fat and burn bodyfluids, he would become 'skinny'...toned as seeing lines of the muscles, but small body. (result a thai kickboxer body)
There's nothing wrong with cardio, but that's part of the toning proces, getting the definition in the muscles.

the 3 times 10 reps excercise, for example basic dumbel curl biceps : like 10 reps of 8kg, then 10 reps of 10kg, then 10reps of 12kg, in between reps a minute rest, is more a way of getting and keeping fit and not actually ripping/stretching the muscles tissue..
if doing 3 (or 4) times 6 reps excercise, also dumbel curl biceps : like 6 reps 10kg, then 6 reps 12kg, then 6 reps 14kg..in between reps a minute rest, one is pushing the muscle to grow (rip and heal=growth).

training low reps ofcourse with a high intake of carbs and protein, one gets heavier without any lines showing (bodybuilders call this offseason), then the schedule needs change going into season...food intake changes, for example shakes are not made with milk anymore but with water.
exercise as above, will become something like 10 reps 14kg (one has become stronger so no problemo doing this), 20 reps 12kg, 25 reps 10kg.

just for fun a pic...off season bulking fat, in season ripped
lee priest off season-in season pic.jpg

mat

Dec 18, 2008
Singaraja
Maybe thinner at the very beginning, but heavier. Muscle is heavier than fat. Later come the results. It worked for me bigger body, bigger muscles. My trainer was a professional, he trained our American football team for weight and muscle gain in the gym. Only repeating what he told me to do for weight and muscle gain. The body needs the extra oxygen in your blood to get results. It hurts, for big muscle growth you literally rip you muscles.

Last edited:

BKT

Apr 2, 2010
Auckland/Singaraja
Your diet will be just as important as your training

this is a diet I followed a few years ago.

Building Muscle With Six Meals A Day

In 3 months I put on 10kg of muscle. It wasn't easy though, eating almost the same thing every 3 hours will kill your appetite.

Check out the other articles on that website as well, theres a lot of other useful info on there.