Joe Writeson

Jul 30, 2013
Indonesia
Batam on the surface is a sleazy overpriced shit-hole and would dearly love to be Bali.

Apparently the Chinese Singaporeans think it exists as somewhere they can do things they can't do at home, but unfortunately they forget that it is NOT Singapore and are constantly surprised when they get robbed, ripped off and in extreme cases, murdered.

The place looks like one huge building site as shophouses get thrown up on every available plot of land throughout the island, then stand empty and half-finished when the 'investors' run out of bank-supplied finance.
They then declare themselves bankrupt and disappear only for their mysterious 'twin brother' to turn up and continue the never-ending cycle a few months later.

Whilst buildings sprout everywhere the infrastructure does not follow suit resulting in the scenario of over 10,000 workers trying to gain access every morning to construction yards situated on a narrow peninsula served by a two lane road with three right angle bends in it, there are 'incidents' every morning, that reads every morning without fail.

Batam is home to some of the biggest Oil and Gas construction yards in South East Asia that once employed a large number of Expats, the numbers are now vastly reduced as more and more middle and senior management positions are fill by TCNs ...then the companies scratch their heads in confusion as clients rack up reams and reams of NCRs against the projects, they never learn.

The NED (Nagoya Entertainment District) is a collection of bars, massage and karaoke lounges that makes Patpong look classy and upmarket.
Out of the seventy-odd establishments, four are actually acceptable and amazingly are all strictly expat managed.
In these you will NOT be nagged constantly to buy the 'Ladies of the Night' overpriced 'Ladies Drinks' eat 'Real English Fish & Chips' or be forced to adopt sign language to hold a conversation over the top of the deafening cacophony of crap Indotechno played by a 'DJ' with a 1976 Johnny Rotten hairstyle and severe acne.

There are some decent beaches but they are invaded every weekend by the 'what's a litter bin?' locals looking for somewhere to smoke and store their trash.

There are several good resort/beach hotels on the North of the island and at Waterfront, but they are a Rp200,000 taxi ride (one way) from anything resembling 'night life'

Hotels vary in quality and price and are across the board a lot cheaper than Bali.
There are numerous 'hotels' where you can hire a room by the hour should you be out and about and suddenly need a nap

Malls are the usual Indo fare and nothing out of the ordinary.
Seafood is good, especially at the likes of the Golden Prawn complex, but as always, the 'two menu' system is blatantly in operation.

Buying booze is a whole lot easier than Bali as the Chinese supermarkets and hole in the wall shops all have 'back rooms' or 'private shelves' where you can buy a vast range of beers, wines and spirits at very good prices, current example 1ltr Cointreau Rp150,000 1ltr Absolut Blue Rp125,000.

Transport is a nightmare and the majority of taxis operate on the 'take it or leave it' principle, yes the price is Rp250,000 no that is not negotiable ... bye.

A home from home for Aussies is the 'Smiling Hill Club' slap bang in the middle of town, short and long term high quality accommodation, a good pub and restaurant, Aussie managed.

There are currently five ferry terminals operating between Singapore, Malaysia and other islands.
The timing to Singapore varies between 40 and 90 minutes depending on location.
Immigration is fast and efficient, the VOA kiosks are always manned (or womanned) but note you must pay in USD.
Even at peak times waiting times are rarely more than 15 minutes. However warning, at the other end, i.e. returning to Singapore waiting times can be horrendous with queues stretching down the docks outside of the air-conned areas.
Also note there are no luggage trolleys available at Singapore Harbour Front before immigration, afterwards, yes.

Batam's horrible step-sister is Bintan which is just an extention of Orchard Road with similar prices.
There is a walled in area of pre-wall removal Berlin proportions called 'Bintan Resort' that you are assured this is the throbbing, beating heart of nightlife in South East Asia.

They advertise numerous 'Bintan Experiences' but issue warnings never to leave the complex as the island is dangerous, hazardous to health and primitive.

Be prepared to pay ++ for everything at ridiculous prices, then have ++ added to your hotel bill on top of the ++ you already paid for any bills you were foolish enough to 'sign for'.
They also quote everything in Singapore Dollars then work out your bills in Rupiah using their own exchange rates which can vary anything up to 50% of the posted bank rates.

One gigantic rip-off.

Last edited:

JabberWokker

Nov 10, 2005
Bali
Wow! Thanks, a very thorough description. I still may visit sometime as I like to shop around now, maybe even Bintan as well.

Joe Writeson

Jul 30, 2013
Indonesia
On Bintan I would suggest the 'Argo Resort' very rustic, but clean, cheap and cheerful.
Especially the rattan built rooms on stilts in the sea just off the beach.

Beach Bungalows Argo Resort Bintan 04.jpgArgo Beach 2.jpg

Smoke

Dec 3, 2011
Sanur
96jmtk.jpg

does that help or does this http://i61.tinypic.com/96jmtk.jpg

Joe Writeson

Jul 30, 2013
Indonesia
Yes that works ok.
The going rates are between Rp120,000 to Rp200,000 per night with breakfast, which to be totally honest is a bit 'basic' ... perhaps the wrong word ... lots of it but a bit 'unadventurous'.
Also note there is nothing to do nearby, no nightlife and no bars, no wifi and HP reception is poor ... this is purely a place to unwind, switch off and relax.
They do however understand the concept of 'cold beer' ... and will also produce an endless supply of green coconuts and Arak should you so wish ... the hangovers are exquisite!

Last edited:

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Thanks Matty any clue as to why the other won't load? Smoke's loaded but was so small I needed a magnify to see anything even after bigging it up to the max on the comp.

Joe Writeson

Jul 30, 2013
Indonesia
The originals are all on on my Flickr account (which is a mess after I allowed a publisher's artist access to it)
I downloaded the 'medium' sizes and uploaded to the forum.
When I left click on the thumbs I uploaded here, the screen darkens and 'freezes'.
When I right click and 'open in new tab' a medium sized pic opens in another window.

Hope this helps.

Joe Writeson

Jul 30, 2013
Indonesia
The originals are at Ardat Wearer account, but as I said, the site is a mess, I still have a load of pics stored on CDs to upload when I get time...