spicyayam

Jan 12, 2009
You expat guys who live up north, is there anything you're missing that you can find in the south but not in the north (western food, appliances, services, etc) ?
How about internet for instance?

I wouldn't say there is a lot that you can't buy in the north that you can't get in the south. The range of restaurants for example is a lot less, but recently a Japanese restaurant opened and a Thai restaurant has been around for a while. The range in appliance shops is of course limited, but you can of course order anything you need. Prices are reasonable, but of course not as cheap as what you can find in the discount places in Denpasar. Large stores like Ace do deliver to Lovina for a fee, but if you have a car you should be able to bring anything back.

We are using Speedy for internet, so if your place can get a telephone line, then that is probably the best option. If not then there are a couple of providers that provide internet using radio transmitters, which is not great but I still think is quite amazing when overall infrastructure is not great.

Have had some experience with hospitals and doctors in Singaraja and have had mostly positive experiences. There is an immigration office in Pemaron which is generally helpful and not busy.

There are plenty of people here that I am sure would be happy to meet up for a beer if you want to know what it is like to live here.

BKT

Apr 2, 2010
Auckland/Singaraja
well it's an Indonesian School, but a bit of an elite school...children of doctors and the likes enroll into that school instead of for example SMA1.

Hey Gil are you sure thats right? My wifes youngest sister is a bit of a brain box and went to SMA1, her other younger sister went to SMA4. My wife told me SMA1 is the top school in Singaraja, SMA4 is below it, she also said you have to be accepted into both schools, if your grades aren't high enough they won't take you.

There is also another international school east of Singaraja, not sure where but a friend of mine is a teacher there, everything is taught in Indonesian.

From what I've heard the best primary school in Buleleng is the one across from Celuk Agung in Lovina, the wifes nephew was there last year, he was taught English and Mandarin.

Dec 13, 2009
USA
I wouldn't say there is a lot that you can't buy in the north that you can't get in the south. The range of restaurants for example is a lot less, but recently a Japanese restaurant opened and a Thai restaurant has been around for a while. The range in appliance shops is of course limited, but you can of course order anything you need. Prices are reasonable, but of course not as cheap as what you can find in the discount places in Denpasar. Large stores like Ace do deliver to Lovina for a fee, but if you have a car you should be able to bring anything back.

We are using Speedy for internet, so if your place can get a telephone line, then that is probably the best option. If not then there are a couple of providers that provide internet using radio transmitters, which is not great but I still think is quite amazing when overall infrastructure is not great.

Have had some experience with hospitals and doctors in Singaraja and have had mostly positive experiences. There is an immigration office in Pemaron which is generally helpful and not busy.

There are plenty of people here that I am sure would be happy to meet up for a beer if you want to know what it is like to live here.

Thanks Spicyayam for the great infos. Thanks you all ! That's what I like, not too much of everything like in the south.

BTW, by any chance anyone knows any American who lives there? I need to ask some infos from immigration to banking to tax. Thanks so much !

donfuego

Apr 20, 2009
Denpasar, Bali
Thanks for your comments everybody. I will certainly plan a trip to Lovina in the near future. I will post back in due time to see if anyone is up for a beer :)