Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
There's not an insurance company in the world that would blanket cover everyone coming into a country so then Indo would have to "self insure" them - can you imagine what a fiasco that would be? Claiming anyone?

davita

Mar 13, 2012
There's not an insurance company in the world that would blanket cover everyone coming into a country so then Indo would have to "self insure" them - can you imagine what a fiasco that would be? Claiming anyone?

There would be no need to "blanket cover everyone'. Most responsible visitors have medical insurance.....it would only be needed for those that try to enter and don't have cover.
I'm sure the gov't could easily find an entrepreneur insurer to put a kiosk next to the money-changer/taxi/hotel and sell the premium required for the duration of the visa to permit entry...otherwise entry is rejected. A free VOA is only for 30 days so a premium to cover shouldn't be too onerous.

That's just one idea...there must be plenty more?

hecta

Sep 22, 2013
Don't forget Murphy's Law! You may have planned for everything and followed the laws to be inside RI law. eg, my sponsor had been managing my sosbud and I had insurance with QBE, an Aussie insurer. Approaching the end of my 6 month contract, I found that QBE did not accept extensions from overseas, so I had flown into Bali to continue my journey with Jetstar to Brisbane. But one of Indonesia's many volcanoes had thrown a spanner into the works. Although Garuda had flown into Bali, Jetstar would not exit? After waiting for 1 week, I returned to my fiancé's place, then returned a couple of weeks later when the smoke had blown away. But after a medical emergency I was taken to BIMC hospital where they demanded $800aud prior to admission. LOL, after 7 months in Indonesia I was skint but in too much pain to really give a damn. They contacted my sponsor who willingly paid for my admission and treatment. On my next trip to RI, I'll be there as her husband, intending to stay permanently so hopefully she'll have coverage organised.

davita

Mar 13, 2012
@post # 44 by Hecta

Good story Hecta and I commiserate but don't see how that affects policy.

I've just gone thru' major surgery in Bali which I paid from my own account (currently about US$15,000) as I'm too old to be insured adequately.....but I don't expect any Indonesians to pay for that.

Good luck with your forthcoming nuptuals...I'm sure your wife will be adequately compensated for her generosity...in kind....:icon_e_biggrin:

Seriously...when you get a spousal kitas you should investigate joining the RI BPJS Kesehatan Plan.....Health Care BPJS « Better Work Indonesia

hecta

Sep 22, 2013
Good point davita! I've been following that discussion here, RI BPJS Kesehatan Plan. For some reason my fiancé doesn't want me to get the Retirement Visa, so I'll wait and see.:icon_eek:

davita

Mar 13, 2012
Good point davita! I've been following that discussion here, RI BPJS Kesehatan Plan. For some reason my fiancé doesn't want me to get the Retirement Visa, so I'll wait and see.:icon_eek:

If you are married to a WNI why get a Retirement Visa when a Spousal Kitas leading to a Kitap is much cheaper and gives more benefits....like joining BPJS.

davita

Mar 13, 2012
ok, true I have much to learn, thankyou.

I'm sure you're aware but just in case...you should research getting a pre-nuptial agreement signed in front of a notary before marriage. This will ensure your wife can purchase Hak Milik property anytime after marriage as it will be titled to her and seperated from you....a WNA.

Mark

Apr 19, 2004
I'm sure you're aware but just in case...you should research getting a pre-nuptial agreement signed in front of a notary before marriage. This will ensure your wife can purchase Hak Milik property anytime after marriage as it will be titled to her and seperated from you....a WNA.

This is very good advice. I would just add that in addition to being signed in front of a notary before marriage, the prenup has to be filed in and stamped by the relevant district court (the notary should be able to arrange this), before the marriage as well.

Steve Rossell

Apr 18, 2015
"The truth....you cant (note lack of apostrophe), you cant handle the truth.
I was led to believe that the poor unfortunate Oz blokes ex missus (or soon to be) was in in Oz at the time and was the one to stump up the $'s for the hospital to do what needed to be done.
Alas the damage was too great for mere money to be of any help. $ and cents aside.
Suicide, murder, et al, does it matter?
The previously reported attack would have set off alarm bells but didn't.
Sometimes people just lose their ****. I'm sure you've all seen that happen over your years here.
Poor sod.

hecta

Sep 22, 2013
Thankyou Mark and Davita for the prenup advice. I have read a lot of information concerning the prenup, here on this website, but I cannot get her interested. strange.:icon_question:

Billt4SF

Aug 4, 2014
In practice you may be correct but that is the current Indonesian response if the foreigner skips town and leaves a mess behind. If they see it isn't working they may reform......which could make it much more difficult for all of us who wish to live here.

What method would you suggest, mrsgabry, to ensure a foreign visitor, without funds nor medical insurance, is not a financial burden to the Indonesian gov't, or its hospital staff, if he/she encounters a medical issue requiring treatment i.e. who will pay?

"There are many ways to skin a cat."

When you guys find a solution, please tell the US State Dep't. We have a similar problem here in the US (with the added burden that many citizens are not able to support themselves let alone their medical expenses).

- Bill

davita

Mar 13, 2012
"The truth....you cant (note lack of apostrophe), you cant handle the truth.
I was led to believe that the poor unfortunate Oz blokes ex missus (or soon to be) was in in Oz at the time and was the one to stump up the $'s for the hospital to do what needed to be done.
Alas the damage was too great for mere money to be of any help. $ and cents aside.
Suicide, murder, et al, does it matter?
The previously reported attack would have set off alarm bells but didn't.
Sometimes people just lose their ****. I'm sure you've all seen that happen over your years here.
Poor sod.

Steve...if you can't avoid using cant in your sentence then I cannot be a sanctimonious person...please follow my posts on banning alcohol for proof.

I don't have any facts of what occurred to the poor Ozzie sod so I'm hypothesising.

If the guy was divorcing or had divorced, his wife/ex would be the sole owner of the property and, as his sponsor she would be liable for his hospital bills, under the current law. The Gov't/Hospital then would have every right to lien that property for any medical bills outstanding...whether she volunteered to pay...or not.

I think that's called KARMA...

btw the Sanglah Hospital (where the victim went) is a public hospital and prinipally funded by Gov't. The International/burns wing construction was funded by the Australian tax-payer in recognition of the efforts of the hospital during the Bali bombing of 2002.

Nydave

Jun 4, 2015
None of us know the full facts, regardless its a sad situation,

But somewhere it was said they had agreed to split the property 50/50

But with one party out of the picture wouldn't that make the other party the outright owner ??

Keep in mind the alleged attack a week previous,,

davita

Mar 13, 2012
None of us know the full facts, regardless its a sad situation,

But somewhere it was said they had agreed to split the property 50/50

But with one party out of the picture wouldn't that make the other party the outright owner ??

Keep in mind the alleged attack a week previous,,

It's elementary my dear nydave....:lemo:

If the property was hak milik it would belong to the WNI partner whether a pre-nup or not. Therefore no need for the WNI to split 50/50 in the first place....unless being a reasonable person.

Thus no need for strong-arm, and possible consequences from, violence.

Nydave

Jun 4, 2015
Ok understood,but a bit confusing,,i thought that if there is no pre-nup that the indo wife cannot own property,i was of the opinion that the pre-nup was something done by couples so that the indo partner doesn`t lose their right to owning anything,

Mark

Apr 19, 2004
It's elementary my dear nydave....:lemo:

If the property was hak milik it would belong to the WNI partner whether a pre-nup or not. Therefore no need for the WNI to split 50/50 in the first place....unless being a reasonable person.

Thus no need for strong-arm, and possible consequences from, violence.

Davita, are you sure that a WNI who owns land hak milik keeps her right to own the land even after marriage to a WNA without a prenup? My understanding is to the contrary.