Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Only in so far as it may relate to the true perpetrator of the "bashing" which, according to several sources, was himself trying to put an end to his poor, penniless life after separating (acrimoniously with forced sale of villa) from his Indo wife - gosh! Shock! Horror! Never heard of that before!

tintin

Sep 13, 2005
Boston, MA, USA
Only in so far as it may relate to the true perpetrator of the "bashing" which, according to several sources, was himself trying to put an end to his poor, penniless life after separating (acrimoniously with forced sale of villa) from his Indo wife - gosh! Shock! Horror! Never heard of that before!

So, according to you, the guy hit himself on the head to end his days on earth? Then, I must also assume that the attacker, one week ago, was also a figment of his imagination...!? Gosh, you are fast going tropo...

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Let's speculate then shall we?

Older man without any means of support loses young Indo wife in separation ... hmmm.

After much toing and froing parties agree to sell villa and split the value 50/50.

With me so far?

What could possibly go wrong here?

I didn't make up the story about suicide (reported here somewhere I can't be assed to find again) but in light of the above I can think of another source of his injuries too.

geedee

Feb 1, 2014
Sydney
Let's speculate then shall we?

Older man without any means of support loses young Indo wife in separation ... hmmm.

After much toing and froing parties agree to sell villa and split the value 50/50.

With me so far?

What could possibly go wrong here?

I didn't make up the story about suicide (reported here somewhere I can't be assed to find again) but in light of the above I can think of another source of his injuries too.

The other possible source of his injuries has THREE facebook accounts listed below as reported on Bali crime reports

https://www.facebook.com/bertha.bourke.9?fref=ts
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100009243103578...
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100010700520389...

SamD

Sep 7, 2006
Seminyak
Mr Bourke's financial situation had become so dire, hospital staff delayed operating on him for almost 12 hours because he could not pay for the surgery.

If you are going to get beaten up in Bali, make sure you can afford it. The hospital staff who made that decision are the lowest form of life, in my opinion. Prepared to watch a person die in front of them because they were afraid of the accounting department. A sad and pathetic reflection of a sick society.

(I posted this before I saw Mrsgabry's post. The doctors would be sued for negligence in any other civilised country. RIP).

Last edited:

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
The suicide report I'd read said that when he was at A&E he was still trying to self-harm and that's why he was tied to the gurney. I don't have clue 1 what actually happened here but with the separation from wifey it all gets a bit murky and devious doesn't it?

davita

Mar 13, 2012
If you have reason to go to hospital in Bali you have to be able to afford it.

The national health service (BPJS, Jamsostek) is in its infancy and, unless in the formal work sector where it's obligatory to join, it is still a volunteer system.

If a foreigner is in Indonesia on any sponsored visa....the sponsor has guaranteed to cater for any medical bills of his/her sponsee.
If a foreigner is in Indonesia on any non-sponsored visa, without medical insurance or financial resources, they're taking a grave risk of not getting proper long-term medical attention.

I believe most responsible travelers are aware of this.... regardless of where they travel.

mrsgabry

Sep 8, 2009
Vienna/Nusa Dua
The poor guy is dead now. A hospital that lets somebody with so severe brain injuries wait for 12 hours before they treat him should be sued for murder. There is no compassion in this country. Not for us foreigners but also not for their own people. At the end of the day it is only about money.

davita

Mar 13, 2012
I have an idea...why don't those with compassion for others who don't give a rat's ass to be responsible enough to take care of their personal medical business, when in a foreign country, set up a voluntary fund to assist. I'm sure the hospital doctors, nurses and general staff, who rely on income from their employement to feed their families, can arrange for its disbursement.

I'll be happy to volunteer a small contribution.

Last edited:

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
I would advance that Mr. John Bourke was "suicided" in the first place.

I suspect that if Tintin in Boston and us here in Bali are able to make the various prophecies then even the dimly lit Bali's finest should be able to come up with a guilty party - even if it was himself (have heard he jumped off the stairs head first). Remembering there was someone else in the house at the time... Ellery Queen meet Mrs. Marple.

If there were just a library there for Colombo to hide in...

odez999

Jul 4, 2011
If you have reason to go to hospital in Bali (Indonesia) you have to be able to afford it.
... and this is where it comes to in Indonesia. Unfortunately. Pay or die.

What is the hospital he was in !?

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
What is Indonesia to do? For all those that haven't noticed IT'S A POOR COUNTRY and can't even provide adequate medical cover for it's own people let alone the hordes of drunken tourist that descend on the islands and insist on riding madly about on motorbikes sans helment/shirt/shoes/trouser and brain.

If Indo was smart they'd get the countries to proportionally pay into some health fund in relationship to the visitor numbers.

Fred2

Oct 13, 2010
Surabaya/Australia
Thousands of people die here everyday because they CANNOT afford medical care and so some western person dies and now we care?????? So all you bleeding hearts can now crowd fund medical care for all western people in Bali that don't have insurance but can afford it. You can see why some Indonesian pollies don't want tourist.

davita

Mar 13, 2012
The basic principle should be....if you cannot afford to financially look after yourself in situations abroad...stay home. Why should anyone expect others to pay.
If the do-gooders wish to set up crowd-funding then that should be encouraged....donate and feel good...but don't complain later when some scallywag absconds with the bank.
It's not the first time that's happened.:devilish:

A couple of years ago I read the Indonesian Gov't contemplated only permitting entry to VOA tourists who held travel Medical Insurance. I'm not sure what happened to that plan but something like that will no doubt be entertained again if too much bad press.

Just an idea.....I'm thinking of setting-up a booth at arrivals to sell travel insurance to those rejected entry......so to comply with RI's requirement if implemented.

I'd need partners...anyone?....:greedy_dollars:

edit: But I'll bet some politico has already thought of that prior to his vote in the legislature.

Mark

Apr 19, 2004
A couple of years ago I read the Indonesian Gov't contemplated only permitting entry to VOA tourists who held travel Medical Insurance. I'm not sure what happened to that plan but something like that will no doubt be entertained again if too much bad press.

That would be quite normal and appropriate, as any Indonesian applying for a European Schengen visa has to prove medical travel insurance coverage of at least 30k euros, plus cover for medical evacuation back to Indonesia. Would suggest, however, that it such a requirement would be even more relevant to long term visitors to Indonesia, including social pass holders.

ronb

Aug 14, 2007
Ubud, Bali
If you have reason to go to hospital in Bali you have to be able to afford it.
Just adding to this observation. You need quick access to funds when you are maybe confined to a hospital bed. Last November I was in Siloam after surgery for hernias and a French guy who had been in a motorcycle accident was in the other bed. They were prepping him for surgery that I think was going to cost around 100 million but also waiting for the cash. He was on his mobile to various people and running into difficulties with an insurer, with daily bank transfer limits, etc. Left me thinking that your best bet then is a credit card with a big limit. But even that may cause headaches if you normally use the card for airfares, then suddenly want 100 million - alarm bells will ring at your bank - and ................ So really you need a friend taking care of it on your behalf.