alex margou

Jul 20, 2013
Markit has suggested I write down the details of how I DIYed my own SOSBUD visa and extensions.

I had 14 SOSBUD visas back-to-back over a period of about 5½ years from 2003-08. I didn't always stay the full 6 months, sometimes only 3, 4 or 5 months. In that time I must have done about 35 30-day extensions. All very easy - no agent at all.

Please note that this is how it was in 2003-08 it maybe different now. I would really welcome folks to add up-to-date info here and to correct anything I have written so as to make it more accurate - thanks Guys!

There are 4 parts:

1. How to DIY your own SOSBUD visa.

2. The Sponsor Visa Letter for the Embassy in Singapore - Please note that I have taken this from VincentOG's post here at #4:

as VincentOG's letter is more up-to-date than the one I used - Thanks VincentOG, I hope you don't mind!

3. How to DIY your own SOSBUD visa Extension.

4. Sponsor Extension Letter, I used this around 35 times.

Also you should read the Indonesian Embassy in Singapore's website here:

http://www.kemlu.go.id/singapore/Pag...px?IDP=58&l=en

That's it - except to STRESS that this is how I did it in 2003-08 - So please guys, do write in with updates and corrections for the benefit of everyone!

Hope this helps!

1. How to DIY your own SOSBUD visa AT THE EMBASSY IN SINGAPORE. It's very simple. It used to take 3 working days but now the embassy website says 2 working days.

1. You just turn up at the embassy in Chatsworth Road (number 75 bus from the MRT at Outram Park, get off at Lucky Tower - 3 minute walk to embassy) with passport, ID photo, sponsor's letter + their photocopy KTP and the fee Sing $ 65. PLUS, form already filled in if you've downloaded it!.

2. DAY 1 - Get there in the morning [9-12am] on DAY 1 - grab a queue number then grab a form and fill it in. Wait for your number - hand in all your stuff - they check it and you wait then they call you and give you a paper - go to the cashier and pay - get a receipt - then go, that's it for Day 1. Takes about 15 minutes PLUS however long you wait in the queue with your number [but it's not too long!]

3. DAY 2 - Go back to the embassy on the afternoon [3-5pm] of DAY 2 - DON'T GRAB A QUEUE NUMBER ! - go straight to the loket, hand in your receipt and get your passport with visa in it AND READ IT AND SEE WHAT IT SAYS BEFORE LEAVING THE EMBASSY! IS IT OK? Good! That takes just 5 minutes and you're done!!

NB Embassy open Mon-Fri
Closed on Indo and Sing holidays

NB IMPORTANT - when you arrive at the embassy you will be given a pass on string to wear round your neck. To get this you have to hand in something/anything with a photo ID. So bring along a driving licence etc with your name and photo on it (No - not your passport - you need that with you inside the embassy to hand in!)

EXTRA Here's the embassy websites:
Hours and Dress Code http://www.kemlu.go.id/singapore/Pag...x?IDP=105&l=en

SOSBUD VISA - http://www.kemlu.go.id/singapore/Pag...px?IDP=58&l=en (Ignore the stuff about "One copy of Singapore ID Card" you're not Singaporean!)

Download the form and fill it in at home before you go! - http://www.kemlu.go.id/singapore/Doc...visa_green.pdf

****************************************************************************************************

2. The Sponsor Visa Letter for the Embassy in Singapore

Br ADD YOUR SPONSOR’S BANJAR
Desa ADD YOUR SPONSOR’S DESA
Kec ADD YOUR SPONSOR’S KECAMATAN
Bali ASSUMING YOUR SPONSOR LIVES IN BALI
Indonesia

Kepada Yth
Bapak Pimpinan Imigrasi
Kedutaan Besar Republik Indonesia
Di Singapura

21 December 2008 ADD CURRENT DATE

Dengan Hormat

Yang bertanda tangan dibawah ini saya

Nama : ADD YOUR SPONSOR’S NAME
Umur : ADD YOUR SPONSOR’S AGE (Kelahiran: ADD YOUR SPONSOR’S PLACE & DATE OF BIRTH)
Alamat : ADD YOUR SPONSOR’S ADDRESS
Pekerjaan : ADD YOUR SPONSOR’S OCCUPATION
Nomor KTP : ADD YOUR SPONSOR’S KTP NUMBER

Dengan ini menyatakan bahwa,

Nama : ADD YOUR FULL NAME
Kebangsaan : ADD YOUR NATIONALITY
Normor paspor : ADD YOUR PASSPORT NUMBER
Tempat - Tgl lahir : ADD YOUR DATE & PLACE OF BIRTH AS IN YOUR PASSPORT
Pekerjaan : ADD YOUR YOUR PROFESSION

Adalah kenalan saya yang akan ke Indonesia untuk mengadakan kunjungan kepada keluarga saya.
ADD YOUR NAME AS IT APPEARS IN YOUR PASSPORT, sejak lama kenal sebagai orang yang berkelakuan baik dan tidak pernah tersangkut urusan Kepolisian Republik Indonesia. Selama kunjungannya kepada saya, ia akan menjadi tanggung jawab dan dibawah pengawasan saya.
Demikian pernyataan ini saya buat dengan sejujur-jujurnya, agar menjadi perhatian Bapak seperlunya.
Untuk itu saya mengucapkan banyak terima kasih.

Hormat saya

ADD YOUR SPONSOR’S NAME & SIGNATURE
Sponsor

3. How to DIY your own SOSBUD visa Extension.

I did my extensions at the main Immigration office in Jalan Panjaitan, Renon.

1. Before you start the process go to the office and pick up a folder full of forms. Tell them that you are doing a SOSBUD extension and which one it is 1, 2, 3 4. The forms needed are slightly different. I used to pick up the whole collection of 4 folders of forms for extensions 1 to 4 in one go to save visits to Renon.

TIP on this first visit to the Immigration office ask where the window is for doing SOSBUD extensions. Go to that window/loket and ask about the time scale etc so you know when to turn up with your forms. Ask what ID photos you have you supply and so on. ASK! I found them really friendly and helpful - especially early on when I was learning the process. 30 minutes

2. Get your sponsor to sign the sponsor letter which you keep in your computer and run off each time (don't have that letter? The guys at Immigration will give you a sample!) and attach a photocopy of their UP-TO-DATE (not expired!) KTP. I always kept a load of these in the cupboard with the forms.

3. Pour a large Bintang. Sit down with your Bintang and fill in the forms. It'll take about half an hour - it's very boring and repetitive - but it's easy - Hey guys, the forms are in English (!) as well as in Indonesian. If you don't understand any part of it, just leave it blank and ask when you hand the forms in. 30 minutes

TIP make a photocopy set of these filled in forms to keep at home to help you next time, to remember what you did last time!

4. Go to the office and hand in your folder of forms and passport. They will send you to the photocopy bloke round the back. He's knows how many copies of each are needed. Then back to the window/loket and hand it all in. They will give you a receipt and tell you when to come back for the next stage. 15 minutes

5. Come back to the office a week or so later (doesn't have to be exactly the day they said - but don't go before). Hand in your receipt - they'll give you a piece of paper which you take to the cashier and pay the fee (used to be Rp.250,000 per extension). Take your receipt from the cashier and hand it in at the window/loket. They'll tell you to go away and come back again in a week or so. 15 minutes

6. Come back to the office a week or so later - pick up your passport - done! 5 minutes

EXTRA STAGE FOR EXTENSIONS 3 AND 4

5a. At the end of stage 5 above they will give you a letter in an envelope. You take it to the local office of the Ministry of Law and Human Rights (go out of the Immigration office and turn left. At the end of the road turn right - past the Post Office - it's a few hundred yards further down the road on the right hand side (look for KANWIL KEHAKIMAN DAN HAM). Go in the main door - the receptionist will tell you where to go - hand in your letter. They will tell you to come back in one or two days. 15 minutes

5b. Come back 1 or 2 days later - pick up a letter - go to the Immigration office and hand it in - go home and wait for stage 6. 15 minutes

4. Sponsor Extension Letter

Perihal: Denpasar, 21 Juli 2013

Perpanjangan Izin Tinggal Kunjungan Kepada Yth:
Bapak Kepala Kantor Imigrasi

di – Denpasar

Bersama ini dengan hormat saya:

Nama : Your sponsor's full name
Pekerjaan : Profession
Tempat/tgl lahir : Place/date of birth
Kewarganegaraan : Nationality = Indonesia
KTP Nomor : ID card number
Diberikan di : Issued at (e.g. Tabanan, Badung)
Berlaku s/d : Expiry date
Alamat tempat tinggal : Sponsor's address

Datang memohon kepada Bapak Kepala Kantor Imigrasi Denpasar agar dapat memberikan Perpanjangan Izin Tinggal Kunjungan untuk Orang Asing tersebut dibawah ini:

Nama : Your full name
Tempat/tgl lahir : Place/date of birth
Kewarganegaraan : Nationality
Paspor Nomor : Passport number
Berlaku s/d : Expiry date
Alamat tempat tinggal : Your address in Bali
Alasan Perpanjangan : Reason for the extension - see below

Sebagai sponsor/penjamin saya menyatakan bahwa saya bertanggung jawab atas segala persyaratan administrasi dan biaya-biaya yang timbul pada saat proses pemberian Perpanjangan Izin Tinggal Kunjungan serta keberadaan orang asing tersebut di Indonesia.

Demikian permohonan ini saya sampaikan dan atas bantuan Bapak saya ucapkan terima kasih.

Hormat saya,

Reason for extension - I always used this:
Menikmati masa pensiun bersama teman-teman di Bali
To enjoy my retirement with my friends in Bali
Maybe you can try - untuk mengadakan kunjungan kepada keluarga teman saya
To visit my friend's family - if you are not retired?

That's it folks - but - If someone can tell me how to do an attachment (.doc format) I can upload all this as 4 Word pages with proper formatting for the two letters. The system grumbles if I try to do the upload and says - You're not allowed to upload .doc more than 19.5kB so there!

PS. I never had any difficulty with all of these SOSBUD visas when I arrived in Bali (or occasionally in Jakarta). They would always ask me what was my business and I would always answer TRUTHFULLY(!) that I was retired. They only had to take one glance at this knackered old shit pushing his zimmer frame through immigration to see that it was most likely true. If you're a young 30 something sprog then maybe trying to claim that you're retired might not go down so well!

Last edited:

globmart

Nov 29, 2011
Singapore
Hello Alex,

My name is Tom. I like your post about DIY-ing your SOSBUD visa extensions. I don't know if you will read this post I'm now writing, since your post was done in July. So I'm inviting other Forum members reading this post to kindly reply with their advice for me.

I live in Singapore. I had been traveling from Singapore to Jakarta several times from 2008 to 2010 with SOSBUD visa without any problem. And I also did the extensions in a DIY way.

But this time I got my SOSBUD visa in Jakarta with the same sponsorship from a friend in Jakarta. I arrived in Jakarta Sep 5 and stayed for two weeks. I came to Bali on Sep 21. My 60-day stay in Indonesia will expire on Nov 4. In Jakarta I would extend it about one week prior to the expiry date for a further 30-day stay using the DIY method.

My question to you, Alex, and/or other Forum members, can I do my extension at the Immigration office in Denpasar as my sponsor lives in Jakarta? I can get him to email to me scanned copies of the original sponsorship letter and his KTP as supporting documents for my extension application.

Any advice from you. Alex, or any other Forum member will be highly appreciated.

Regards,
Tom

davita

Mar 13, 2012
In my experience from 2008-2011 with Sosbud the extensions had to be done in the KTP area of the sponsor. i.e. my sponsor lived in the city area of Tangerang, just outside Jakarta, so I had to do extensions in Tangerang Immigrasi and not Jakarta (Permata Hijau), where I actually lived.

You could approach Immigrasi at the DPS airport and put your question.....it is a valid point.

davita

Mar 13, 2012
Another option is changing your sponsor to someone in Bali.

Spicy...I may be wrong but I don't think that is an option. The original sponsor, I believe, must also be the sponsor for extensions.
Your idea may have validity but probably require starting all over....exiting RI and returning.

globmart

Nov 29, 2011
Singapore
Spicy...I may be wrong but I don't think that is an option. The original sponsor, I believe, must also be the sponsor for extensions.
Your idea may have validity but probably require starting all over....exiting RI and returning.

Thank you very much Davita

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Some callus lout insulted poor Alex and I believe he's now taken his ball and left?

Alex?

Sorry, Alex.

I won't do it again, promise...

Well, I'll try not to, how's that? :frog:

odez999

Jul 4, 2011
Hi

the other day I just came from immigration in Renon .. and they told me that NOW again it is possible to have NON Balinese for sponsor ... You only need his KTP + KIPP copies (and his signature) !!!
So on my experience .... in 2012 it was able to have non Balinese (KTP + KIPP) somewhere in 2013 they requested from me to have Balinese (KTP + KIPP from non Balinese is not possible .. they said back then)
And the other day woman on the counter was telling me ... again now it was possible to do KTP + KIPP !!!
I asked her is this liek this allways or .. and she confirmed ...

Back in 2012 .. when I got 211 type visa in my passport (That Sticker Visa Type 211 ... got it from Indo. Emb in singapore, I applied for 60 days and got only 30 back then ...) I was told .. that with that 30 day tourist sticker visa 211 ... I am able to extednd 5 times ... not only 4 ... And they exteded it 5 times without problem !

Today I visited Renon Immigration for 2nd time they were convincing me that no mater what I am able to extend in there only up to 4 times ! (so I had to plan my exit little earlier .. luckly no tickets were booked)

There is more ....

Above was explained ... that .. "At the end of stage 5 above they will give you a letter in an envelope. You take it to the local office of the Ministry of Law and Human Rights (go out of the Immigration office and turn left." ..
that was the case in Renon for some time ... nowdays seems not ! you do not have to do that !

And every 6 months or so seems on 2nd or 3rd extension or something like that .. they add to me some extra paper/form to fill (sometimes they did not) ... etc etc ...

Before you needed to photocopy yourself passport at last stage when he gives it to you .. nowdays they do it alone !

They always changing something ...

Basicly rule that never changes is : Ask same question for as many "officials" as you can ... and if same procedure works a few months from now (or building is in same place, or enterance, counter .. or whatever) ... youre lucky !

Last edited:

odez999

Jul 4, 2011
IT NEEDS MINIMUM OF 3 WORKING DAYS to apply and pick up visa in singapore !
Coming in monday mourning (09:00-12:00) you will be able to pick it up wednesday (15:00-17:00) !!! = 3 DAYS !!!
(do the math ....It will take more than 50 hours minimum .. which is 3rd day already)

Stating that it needs 2 days is misleading (coz they do not mention extra hours after that 2 days are passed) .. coz people are thinking applying first day in the mourning they will pick it up next day afternoon ... which is not the case !

+ I got info there that Singapore embassy is issuing only 30 day 211 Visa for my country (no way I can get 60 day 211 TYPE sticker/visa in my passport there)! BTW I am from EU !
Although I applied for Sosial Budaya (Social visa, which is basicly the same thing as regular tourist visa/sticker in your passport, it only just requires more documents like sponsorship letter, and ID from sponsor ...)

So difference from Kuala Lumpur (for now ... may 2014) is that in Sing. you need 3 days in KL 2 days ! In KL thou (I need) to proof that I have funds for my tourist stay (minimum 500$ for 1 month and 1000$ for 2 months.. I was told ... I advise double that sums if possible) and KL is little bit cheaper (just little bit) And proof is in a form of paper (bank statement or some sort of receipt from exchanger that you exchanged those sums yourself, NOT money itself shown on embassy counter)

Thats it !

Last edited:

ronb

Aug 14, 2007
Ubud, Bali
If you search this forum you will see that many people get their visa in 1 day in Singapore (using an agent).

odez999

Jul 4, 2011
Yea I was aware of that ... I just was like curious ... And I planed to stay 2-3 days anyway in Singapore...
I also advise to use agent ! Definetly cheaper if you planing visa run only !

The Larkins

Jun 9, 2014
Morning! I have a quick query that I don't see answered already. Please excuse a newbie's ignorance on this but....if I exit Indonesia when my visa is just about to expire and re-enter on a new visa, would I get hassled? In other words, can I arrive in Bali on August 1st and leave again on August 29th, return on September 1st and leave again on September 29th etc. without getting into trouble with the authorities? I know that would mean 12 trips out of the jurisdiction in a year, but is there any reason why you couldn't? I know in Singapore if you're doing a lot of visa runs they do get suspicious and haul you in for questioning after your 4th or 5th journey. Thanks!

The Larkins

Jun 9, 2014
Thanks, Smoke. That's that question answered. :) Now to figure out how to bring the pet tortoises with us.....

Smoke

Dec 3, 2011
Sanur
Thanks, Smoke. That's that question answered. :) Now to figure out how to bring the pet tortoises with us.....

most get a sosbud visa for 180 day stay with extensions .

pet tortoise no idea really . not even know if they allowed etc. good luck with that

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Give him a sleeping pill and then use a pink ribbon to tie him to your head - tell em it's a hat.

Super glue a handle to his back and say it's a handbag

Put him on your shoulder and tell em you are Richard III

Put wheels on him and pull him after you.

The Larkins

Jun 9, 2014
Markit, you have to be the most helpful person on this forum. Your suggestions are genius! :icon_idea:

From what I understand, dogs, cats, rabbits etc ('regular' pets, in other words) are forbidden entry to Bali at the moment because the island is not rabies-free. Tortoises, cos they're reptiles, can't get rabies, so they might be okay to bring in. We have all the paperwork for the tortoises and they are micro-chipped (reallly!), so I might just check with the nearest Indonesian embassy.

bakung

May 4, 2011
Markit, you have to be the most helpful person on this forum. Your suggestions are genius! :icon_idea:

From what I understand, dogs, cats, rabbits etc ('regular' pets, in other words) are forbidden entry to Bali at the moment because the island is not rabies-free. Tortoises, cos they're reptiles, can't get rabies, so they might be okay to bring in. We have all the paperwork for the tortoises and they are micro-chipped (reallly!), so I might just check with the nearest Indonesian embassy.

Might be a SLOW process :icon_wink:

Steve Rossell

Apr 18, 2015
This is just an update for sosbud visa.
Flew into Singapore from Bali around midday last Monday to apply for a new sosbud visa and walked into the agents office un-announced at 4pm the same day with my letter from my sponsor, colour photo copy of my sponsors bona fide and photo, a couple of my mugshots and of course my passport.
Signed here and there, payed the fee and was told to return the next day at 4pm. In and out in 15 minutes.
4pm Tuesday back to the office collect my passport and out I go in 2 minutes.
Immigration guys back in Bali are quite happy, we share a joke and through I go in less than 5 minutes.