Begonia maybe you should invite these guys and the pooch fanatics to come meet all your kids at the home?

I truly believe having one sad, lost, smiling little boy sitting on your lap might get them to throw out the Pedigree Chum.

Its interesting to read the vehemence in some of the replies

Although I have zero interest in helping dogs or cats anywhere
I would most definitely help native animals in any country where its needed

Does that make me a terrible person because I choose to help animals??
Of course not
If someone else helps street kids etc does that make them a better person than me??
According to the replies here it seems like it

So maybe Im better off helping nothing?????

Simply food for thought

You can help whomever you want, and it can be any species. People often ask us why we help (kids and animals on a grand scale). Our answer is "because we can". Not everyone is as fortunate enough to be able to even afford to help others (or other species), doesn't make them bad people.

Just because Markit doesn't see the benefit in helping animals doesn't mean anything.

Merry Christmas all

The best solution is to kill them. There are far too many stray dogs on this island. My friend the vet (a Balinese lady) kills those dogs that do not have an owner, and that is a good thing.

wich kids would that be ???
sometimes, most of the time actually, it's way more satisfying to help some animal then it is to help a human being.
Oh dear - is helping others, dogs or humans, all about self satisfaction?? I thought it was for the welfare of others that we do these things.

@justinbali : someone else said they had 'the solution' in 40-45...rings a bell? his thinking was radical and crazy, and I think the same of your comment.

@trish, read the words and don't read what you want to read, helping anyone be it helping a human or helping an animal gives satisfaction to the one who does the helping.
Do you think Unicef,salvation army,etcetc.. would still exist, if people who donated money didn't get the feeling of making a difference by doing so???
making a difference counts, some try to make difference by seperating the plastics from the other waste and I am sure that makes them feel good about themselfs
(without actually seeing any benefit/result from their actions)...
some donate money to whatever cause and I am sure that makes them feel good about themselfs (some causes let people know what they do with their donations)...
some are more hands on sort o speak, like cutting some plastics from a turtles neck seeing him swim off in freedom, now who wouldn't feel good when witnessing that?
cutting a leish of a tied down dog, who's already KO from the burning sun and no water in sight, picking this dog up put it in the car and then rushing it off to get that
dog cooled down and thus by doing so saving his life...maybe it's just me, but that is making a difference too and yes that makes me feel good about myself, same as
those people who are trying to save the rainforest, trying to save beached whales, etcetc....

@Gilbert de jong

Niet overdrijven hee ! Hitler has nothing to do with culling animals. The government of South Africa culls elephants, because there are too many of them in one area, so that elephants die of hunger.

Belgium allows the killing of seven thousand wild pigs per year, because there are too many of them.

There are too many dogs in Bali. Killing or castrating them is the solution.

In case you don't know what culling is : Culling is the process of removing breeding animals from a group based on specific criteria. This is done either to reinforce certain desirable characteristics or to remove certain undesirable characteristics from the group. For livestock and wildlife alike, culling usually implies the killing of the removed animals.

@gilbert de jong, with reference to 1940-1945, remember the Dutch Queen Wilhelmina who fled the country, leaving her dogs to die of hunger in her palace garden. The worst thing is that she wasn't even of royal lineage, since the King suffered of advanced syphilis and couldn't have sired Wilhelmina. A servant of Queen Emma put his seed in her.

I was referring to "The Solution" part...obviously hitler didn't have a solution by 'killing' (culling humans) based on specific criteria as you perfectly describe...and neither do you (or your vet friend) by killing (culling) animals/dogs...ofcourse this is just imho.
castrating or nudering is a more humane solution.

as for the wilhelmina post :dejection:

I was referring to "The Solution" part...obviously hitler didn't have a solution by 'killing' (culling humans) based on specific criteria as you perfectly describe...and neither do you (or your vet friend) by killing (culling) animals/dogs...ofcourse this is just imho.
castrating or nudering is a more humane solution.

as for the wilhelmina post :dejection:

I agree with the neutering, we have 4 dogs and 2 cats at home and every family has a dog (the Muslims have cats in cages) and there are 8 street dogs which I have had neutered, it doesn't cost that much and it stops dog fights in the streets, puppy road kill on the main road near we live, less noise at night and a happier neighborhood. It may look like I'm doing it for a 'feelgood reason", could be, could be because I want some sleep and think there are enough dogs in Bali. You can easily get BAWA to come down and help any street dog, they will vaccinate them for Rabies and neuter them for free if you are willing to give them a dry, safe shelter for a few days for recovery after their Op. We've done the 8 in our street and 6 on the beach so our dogs can play there, it's a lot nicer to walk our dogs on leads every night now as they street dogs are not interested or just tag along to play, they are fit and healthy as they eat the rats, offerings, out of the large garbage pit down the road, they actually keep the neighborhood nice and rodent free. They are not aggressive and do no harm anymore (they used to fight and bark all night). We are surrounded by bush and they keep the monkeys, snakes and Large lizards at bay, or at least warn you when they are approaching. It's like having a neighborhood watch.

Just a little story to pass on: A 82 year old Holyman man died the other day in the traditional village I work in (he had been my Mentor for studies of the the traditional religion/culture for 8 years now). He told me he knew was going to die soon as the dogs howled all night outside his house and his very long finger nail had fallen off that morning. He said if these signs had not happened he would not be preparing for his death and would feel an unease, that the Holymen in Bali use the dogs in many different ways to help them with their jobs, they are very important to Bali. He died the next day (3 days ago) and apparently has left me a prayer on the old broken vinyl sofa seat in the Warung where we met to study, his dog died yesterday on that old sofa seat and was cremated immediately to be ready and waiting for his master. I have not been able to get up to the Warung to see his family but the staff all told me at work yesterday what had happened.

Lovely long (fucking long!) story but wouldn't a bag of chopped sapi and some strychnine have accomplished the same thing - including the "holyman"?

Back