Stephen

Aug 21, 2012
Hi, new here and thought this would be the place to introduce myself.
My wife and I are currently living in Bengkulu, Sumatra. Early retirement, for the time being anyways.
We have no set plans, just going with flow and enjoying each day as it comes. We have rented out our property in Australia and live off the proceeds so no pressing need to work/run a business in the short term.

Joined this forum to get info on how life is for expats in Bali. With the exception of another couple Aussies and a mystery German guy (that I keep hearing about but never seen) there aren't many expats in Bengkulu :) From time to time a few Bule Coal workers come into town.

Bengkulu is a lovely town, but very different to life in Bali I imagine...no bars, nightlife or much western cuisine. It is however, a domestic tourist town with great beaches and no development on the foreshore. A big nature strip runs the length of the main beach, aptly named "Pantai panjang". Many hotels here as well. Unbeleivably its all pine trees, more like the beaches in Queensland and NSW than what you typically see in Indonesia. Shady area with many warung selling jagung bakar, kelapa muda, deep-fried battered crab on a stick(shell included). Its a remote place but very easy access via Jakarta or Batam. We are on 60 day tourist visa, as we like to do visa runs to Batam, ferry across to Johor bahru and do visas there. If anyone needs info about that, happy to assist. My wife is Fiji Indian and we love our visits to JB to soak up the Indian culture and curries.

I spend my days floating around in the Indian ocean on a piece of foam and fibreglass, pinching myself. Every day is an adventure. Rapidly improving my Bahasa Indonesia skills, thankfully I have plenty of good teachers in the warungs. After 30 years of working in State Govt I currently feel like Morgan Freeman in Shawshank redemption, escaped and arriving at a place he's always dreamt about from prison.

cheers all
Steve and Kristine

Joe Writeson

Jul 30, 2013
Indonesia
I visited Bengkulu on several occasions and found the laid back lifestyle a perfect getaway, I was working on the Southern tip of Sumatra at the time.

The surrounding area is steeped in history as well, well worth a visit, just the one word of warning, I would NOT stay anywhere near the seafront.

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Hey Steve welcome to the forum - I have a question about visas: Next time you go (maybe you already know) can you inform yourself about getting a Retirement Kitas please - prices, agents (necessary or not, available, etc.) procedure and how fast available, not to forget what documentation they want.

Many thanks in advance and keep up the floating.

Markit