balinews

Feb 14, 2010
Police in Bali have warned of a worrying spike in crimes targeting foreigners on the resort island, following the stabbing of a British tourist early on Wednesday.

John Keith Winson, 59, was stabbed during a break-in at his rented villa in South Kuta. It was the fourth burglary in the area in the past two months in which a foreigner was the victim.

Comr. I Putu Gede Dedy Ujiana, the South Kuta Police chief, said Winson was woken up by an unknown number of men breaking into the villa. He attempted to fight them off but was stabbed in the thigh.

He said the perpetrators then fled with a number of Winson’s belongings. The victim was able to alert neighbors and was taken to Sanglah General Hospital for treatment.

“We’re still hunting down the perpetrators and trying to figure out what they stole,” Dedy said.

On Aug. 9, burglars stole about $53,000 in cash and personal belongings from the home of a Japanese man.

Eiji Shimizu, 41, reported waking up at his rented villa in Ubud to find there had been a break-in. Among the items missing were 4 million yen ($52,000) and Rp 2 million ($235) in cash, as well as a camera and jewelry.

Adj. Comr. I Gede Redastra, the Ubud Police chief, said the perpetrators had broken into the villa by prying open a window. That is similar to a burglary on July 4 in Gianyar in which an American woman, Melissa Taitano, 39, lost $600 in cash, a camera and a cellphone.

In Sanur, police are investigating a similar burglary, just two days before the Ubud case, in which Australian Elizabeth Burnett, 56, lost Rp 12.6 million in cash and several documents.

The traditional increase in crime in the lead-up to Idul Fitri is also targeting domestic tourists, police say.

On Aug. 15, Johan, a visitor from Batam, was robbed by a man posing as the driver of an ojek, or motorcycle taxi. He lost his cellphone, laptop and Rp 1.6 million in cash in the incident.

A day earlier, burglars armed with machetes broke into the holiday villa of Yanti Yoswanda at Brawa Beach and made off with items worth Rp 40 million.

Police are also on the hunt for a gang believed to have simultaneously broken into safes at four locations last Thursday.

Sr. Comr. Suryanbodo Asmoro, the Denpasar Police chief, called on both residents and tourists to be on heightened alert for suspicious people or activities.

“We hope to have all the outstanding cases resolved very soon,” he said.

Police Urge Vigilance as Bali Hit By Crime Spree | The Jakarta Globe

ronb

Aug 14, 2007
Ubud, Bali
In all, this refers to about 12 robberies over 2-3 weeks. So if this is most of what's happening, it is not a huge wave, but it is a useful reminder to take care.

spicyayam

Jan 12, 2009
It does make you wonder though why would anyone keep $52,000 in cash in their villa

JohnnyCool

Jan 10, 2009
Sanur
In all, this refers to about 12 robberies over 2-3 weeks. So if this is most of what's happening, it is not a huge wave...
You have to remember that these are the "reported" cases. I'm sure there are many others where the victims can't be bothered going to a police station and sitting through a couple of hours of inane questioning, unless they need evidence for an insurance claim.

Our house was robbed a few months ago while we were asleep. The thieves got away with a laptop, handphones, digital camera, acoustic guitar, a couple of external hard-drives, headphones, some cash and cosmetics, my favourite sandals and a pair of sunglasses. All-up, about Rp 20 million. The hard-drives had thousands of photographs, movies and software on them (they were back-up drives). We've since had bars put on all our windows, installed an electronic alarm system and got a new dog.

I tried to phone the police as soon as we knew we were robbed. No answer. I tried several "emergency" numbers - none of them answered. Went to the police station and sat around for nearly half an hour, repeatedly answering the same question(s): "Why you are here - oh - you has robber - please, you be waiting with patient" stuff. Eventually, the police and a detective followed me back to the house. It's a two storey place and they only looked around downstairs. The head detective spent most of his time sitting out the front, presumably "thinking" and shaking his head every now and then. When their "investigation" was over, we were told to go to the police station to make "report".

Making the "report" involved two sections at the police station. Each one took an hour+ each and seemed identical to me. Basically, a total waste of time.

When we went back home, we had a more detailed look around. We found some bloody footprints upstairs, signs that someone had climbed up the ladder to the water tank, jumped across a few parts of the roof, but finally got in by prising open a downstairs window. We talked to an immediate neighbour of ours and somebody had climbed in through an upstairs window a week or so before and stole a TV set. He didn't report it and I don't blame him. Most of our stolen items were small in size. Would easily fit into a small bag. The guitar was different. Somebody in the vicinity must have seen at least someone riding a motorbike early in the morning holding it (and possibly wearing sunglasses). "Investigating police" obviously don't have time to ask around. I also don't know what I get for paying the local banjar money for "security".

I hate to think how this scenario would have panned out if I'd confronted the robbers.

:icon_evil:

Nobody knows who made the first hamburger.

soontobeexpat

Dec 30, 2010
Perth, Australia
You have to remember that these are the "reported" cases. I'm sure there are many others where the victims can't be bothered going to a police station and sitting through a couple of hours of inane questioning, unless they need evidence for an insurance claim.

Our house was robbed a few months ago while we were asleep. The thieves got away with a laptop, handphones, digital camera, acoustic guitar, a couple of external hard-drives, headphones, some cash and cosmetics, my favourite sandals and a pair of sunglasses. All-up, about Rp 20 million. The hard-drives had thousands of photographs, movies and software on them (they were back-up drives). We've since had bars put on all our windows, installed an electronic alarm system and got a new dog.

I tried to phone the police as soon as we knew we were robbed. No answer. I tried several "emergency" numbers - none of them answered. Went to the police station and sat around for nearly half an hour, repeatedly answering the same question(s): "Why you are here - oh - you has robber - please, you be waiting with patient" stuff. Eventually, the police and a detective followed me back to the house. It's a two storey place and they only looked around downstairs. The head detective spent most of his time sitting out the front, presumably "thinking" and shaking his head every now and then. When their "investigation" was over, we were told to go to the police station to make "report".

Making the "report" involved two sections at the police station. Each one took an hour+ each and seemed identical to me. Basically, a total waste of time.

When we went back home, we had a more detailed look around. We found some bloody footprints upstairs, signs that someone had climbed up the ladder to the water tank, jumped across a few parts of the roof, but finally got in by prising open a downstairs window. We talked to an immediate neighbour of ours and somebody had climbed in through an upstairs window a week or so before and stole a TV set. He didn't report it and I don't blame him. Most of our stolen items were small in size. Would easily fit into a small bag. The guitar was different. Somebody in the vicinity must have seen at least someone riding a motorbike early in the morning holding it (and possibly wearing sunglasses). "Investigating police" obviously don't have time to ask around. I also don't know what I get for paying the local banjar money for "security".

I hate to think how this scenario would have panned out if I'd confronted the robbers.

:icon_evil:

Nobody knows who made the first hamburger.

The reason they do 2 interviews is because of insurance fraud, try find flaws in what you have said.

To put bars in your windows seems so extreme for a break in..

Condolences though, break ins always tend to rock your sense of security

BKT

Apr 2, 2010
Auckland/Singaraja
I've lived in 7 houses since I've been in Bali and the only one that was broken into had no bars, we did have 3 security guards at the end of the gang though, but turns out they were only good for collecting money at the end of every month. The way I see it is if you don't have any sort of security here you're asking for trouble. A lot of foreigners come here thinking everyone is layed back, nice and friendly but don't realize beneath a lot of these smiling faces are a lot of desperate people who wouldn't think twice about taking everything you have.

soontobeexpat

Dec 30, 2010
Perth, Australia
I agree with gilbert.. I think for sure have a security system but why bars on the windows?? Im not sure I have ever seen this in the many houses I have visited but none the less I just find it huge to put bars on the windows..

haha Gilbert.. Kerobokan isnt even that secure hahahah

At home, I wouldnt put bars on my windows.. I would upgrade security but maybe im just incredibly naive.. Im by no means saying im an expert but bars on my windows?? Im not sure I could live like this..

alphonso

May 26, 2011
A lot of foreigners come here thinking everyone is layed back, nice and friendly but don't realize beneath a lot of these smiling faces are a lot of desperate people who wouldn't think twice about taking everything you have.

Very well said. They should hang a big board showing this message above the customs counters at the airport arrivals. Every person in line on the way in can then ponder it for a little while.

JohnnyCool

Jan 10, 2009
Sanur
The following comment from BKT makes a lot of sense to me:

I've lived in 7 houses since I've been in Bali and the only one that was broken into had no bars, we did have 3 security guards at the end of the gang though, but turns out they were only good for collecting money at the end of every month. The way I see it is if you don't have any sort of security here you're asking for trouble. A lot of foreigners come here thinking everyone is layed back, nice and friendly but don't realize beneath a lot of these smiling faces are a lot of desperate people who wouldn't think twice about taking everything you have.

When I said I had "bars" put on my windows, I did not mean ones like you'd find in a prison. Mine were made and installed for me by my Balinese host. More like a metal lattice with each part about 400 square centimeters. Just small enough so that robbers can't climb through. They look quite OK and are a reminder for me that I live in a part of Bali that has thieves roaming around on a daily basis. That may not be a nice thought, but it's reality, especially in the South.

Some robbers don't only go for the windows or doors. Many go through the roof!

:icon_rolleyes:

kiwi

Nov 8, 2010
Brisbane
Same S--T Different Country

Where I grew up up in New Zealand the house key was in the door and car keys were in the ignition of the car, if you went out you opened up all the windows so the house was not hot when you came back and no one got robbed. Over the years this changed and now living in Brisbane Australia I have double locks on the doors and security screen doors and windows. There are people here looking for easy money and desperate people looking to survive and the police can take up to two weeks before they come around, so like the old Bali saying goes "same same but different"

Tiggy

May 6, 2011
Lombok
I think the moral of this news article is: don't keep 50 grand cash hanging about your house as someone will probably find out and steal it from ya. /facepalm

Good reminder though to back up my back ups to the cloud again. A bugger that the coppers are that unhelpful, but not surprising.

As a Canadian, when I moved to aus I couldn't believe the insane security on homes. Crimsafe screens ensuring you can't get out of your house, and the deadbolts that require you to have the key to open it even from the inside? Ya that's going to end well in a fire situation when you're sooooo level headed and clear thinking??

I too grew up in a home that was only locked when we went on a long trip. Cars were never locked.

The bars sound nice for bars johnny. They go through the roof where I live every few months to break into the shop. I can't imagine the dropping 20-30 feet part, but then again, I'm not a crim :)