168 km (104 miles) SE of Jember, Java, Indonesia
182 km (113 miles) WSW of Mataram, Lombok, Indonesia
931 km (578 miles) ESE of JAKARTA, Java, Indonesia[/TD]
[/TR]

Magnitude 6.0 - SOUTH OF BALI, INDONESIA

Dick Rector

Feb 26, 2011
Sanur Bali Indonesia
Ordering coffee in Kuta, boy that was strong, it shook the earth.
No joking, Matahari and Centro closed for some time. Carrefour has quite some damage as a part of a wall and roof came down.
Lots of ambulances on the roads, so there must be some people hurt.
Scary stuff!

RhysG

Oct 3, 2011
seminyak
www.lokalliving.com
6.8 mag xl sunset lantia.jpg this is the 3rd floor of the xl office on sunset road, staff the have been taken to hospital
care afte earth quake .jpg this is carefour on sunset road.

both place have been closed down till further noticed, there will be after shocks

Last edited:

ronb

Aug 14, 2007
Ubud, Bali
Just felt a tremor - an aftershock I guess - 3:54pm in Ubud.

Hey, and thanks RhysG for the photos.

mastercaster

Nov 10, 2010
RhysG - 6.8 mag .. hey buddy , don't believe all the local news all the time .. that was BKMG reporting a 6.8 .. a 6.8 would have come close to flattening most of the construction here , 6.8 would have been 7-8 times stronger than this one ...
... It was apx. a 6.1 ...

Shakemap usc00068ee
chart shows richter rating and how a certain rating will feel & potential for damage according to rating - good reference

USGS Earthquake Hazards Program: Historic Seismicity: SOUTH OF BALI, INDONESIA (a good shake map showing all the quakes around Bali since 1990)

Earthquake - Magnitude 6.1 - SOUTH OF BALI, INDONESIA - 2011 October 13, 03:16 UTC

Thankfully there is only lightweight damage .. nobody killed directly (yet) and no buildings, power poles , water lines collapsed or broken .... as we know so far ... no tsunami warning issued according to NOAA ...

hermit

Aug 19, 2010
Bona gianyar
mastercaster

RhysG - 6.8 mag .. hey buddy , don't believe all the local news all the time .. that was BKMG reporting a 6.8 .. a 6.8 would have come close to flattening most of the construction here , 6.8 would have been 7-8 times stronger than this one ...
... It was apx. a 6.1 ...

The damage done is not only relevant to the magnitude,but also to the distance of the epicenter.6.1 flattened a lot of buildings in Padang last year.

I find it rather disconcerting that buildings that should have been built with stringent safety procedures as they hold a large number of visitors,(Carrefour,Galleria)now seem to be falling apart at this not too strong Quake.
Obviously building regulations have been ignored and checks by the responsable authorities have been absent or fraudulous.
Better stick to the traditional pasar.

mastercaster

Nov 10, 2010
The damage done is not only relevant to the magnitude,but also to the distance of the epicenter.6.1 flattened a lot of buildings in Padang last year.

I find it rather disconcerting that buildings that should have been built with stringent safety procedures as they hold a large number of visitors,(Carrefour,Galleria)now seem to be falling apart at this not too strong Quake.
Obviously building regulations have been ignored and checks by the responsable authorities have been absent or fraudulous.
Better stick to the traditional pasar.

Very true Hermit .. distance from epicenter & also, how deep the epicenter is into the crust both play a big part in earthquake energy propagation.
As for construction conformance/compliance inspections in Indo :highly_amused: let me confirm :highly_amused: ...
the high rise buildings in Jkt etc .. now there's a major disaster waiting to happen ...

widder

Jul 16, 2007
Tulamben
www.chiliandgamalan.com
I live in Tulamben and there was a tremor - well, a little more than a tremor, but not really scary. However, a friend in Sanur just texted me, saying there is a tsunami warning - does anyone have any further information whether a warning has been issued?

mastercaster

Nov 10, 2010
I live in Tulamben and there was a tremor - well, a little more than a tremor, but not really scary. However, a friend in Sanur just texted me, saying there is a tsunami warning - does anyone have any further information whether a warning has been issued?

No Tsunami Warning according to the Pacific Tsunami Warning Center also includes the Indian Ocean (check region 3) ..

http://ptwc.weather.gov/

http://ptwc.weather.gov/ptwc/index.php?region=3

Don't know if you can read bahasa indo .. but BMKG (local) says tidak berpotensi TSUNAMI - no potential for tsunami

http://www.bmkg.go.id/BMKG_Pusat/Depan.bmkg

Last edited:

balipod-admin

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 12, 2010
Video from Youtube:

[video=youtube_share;k0y7Bnjv9zs]http://youtu.be/k0y7Bnjv9zs[/video]