linalyn

Mar 20, 2011
mullumbimby australia
I imagine this has been covered here many times, but I've done a search and not found it. What is the current situation there? I'm visiting in May and will be taking the usual precautions like covering up at dusk and repellant, and while I'm not too worried about being bitten by the odd mosquito, dengue does sound pretty awful, and would certainly spoil any holiday.

I'm staying in mid-range hotels, in Seminyak, then Sanur, with A/C, but guess it's being outside that counts, walking, sitting around outside, eating in small restaurants outside the hotel. I'm an active person and will be spending more time outside my hotel room than inside. If there is a lot of dengue about, what do you all do to avoid it? Russian roulette? Or has the risk perhaps been overblown/sensationalised like other risks, terrorism comes to mind ...

spicyayam

Jan 12, 2009
I think it is overblown and sensationalised a little. Sure there is the risk of catching it, but I think it is quite small. I have had it and its awful and once I recovered, I was putting mosquito repellant on when I went out. I did that for the first couple of days and then decided just to forget about it. Just take precautions as you say, just not something to get too stressed about.

ronb

Aug 14, 2007
Ubud, Bali
I'm visiting in May and will be taking the usual precautions like covering up at dusk and repellant,

While you may be bothered by mozzies at dusk, it is said that dengue is spread by day-time mozzies. So where do you find mozzies in the day time? I notice them when sitting outdoors, maybe in a garden setting, when the air is fairly still. You may hear them, and if you can manage to catch one then you will see if it has the characteristic white markings of the offenders. See pictures here Aedes aegypti - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

But I agree that the risk of catching dengue is low, and that even when you get dengue, the chances that it will develop the life threatening complications is also low. More on dengue at Dengue fever - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

linalyn

Mar 20, 2011
mullumbimby australia
Thanks for that ron. It's good to be prepared, and know what to look out for. Seems it's best to try to strike some sort of a balance between throwing caution to the wind and being too paranoid to go outside in case there are mosquitoes lurking about!

pollyanna

Feb 8, 2010
Ubud, Bali
Thanks for that ron. It's good to be prepared, and know what to look out for. Seems it's best to try to strike some sort of a balance between throwing caution to the wind and being too paranoid to go outside in case there are mosquitoes lurking about!

Linalyn, I've lived in Bali for a year now and so far I've managed to avoid dengue so far as I know. If I contracted it it was mild enough that I didn't realize what it was.

The remarkable thing about me not having dengue is how well I attract those annoying insects. I am the most likely candidate I know for dengue fever. Mozzies flock to me like ducks to a rice pond. Standing next to me is the best repellent anyone else could ask for. Because they are so attracted to me if I am not using any protection :icon_wink: I tend to use a natural repellent when I'm eating in an open-air restaurant and use either mozzie coils or heated mats when at home.

D&M

Jan 2, 2011
My wife and 9 month old son have been in Bali now for 2 months. I have been visiting Bali for 12 years and have contracted Dengue fever once myself. We were both apprehensive about bringing our baby to Bali with the repoorts of Dengue. As of today I believe our son has contracted Dengue fever (fever and red rash on chest, uncharacteristic crying and irritably) despite our most vigilant efforts to protect him from mosquito bites.

To state that Dengue has been overstated is both dangerous and ill informed, one only needs to read WHO's fact sheets who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs117/en/
to realise that Dengue is now considered endemic in most SE Asia and regarded as a major health concern. If I could reverse my decision to spend 6 months in Bali for an extended break and spare my son the discomfort he is now I would not be here. We are in the processes of booking flights out as soon as possible.

Last edited by a moderator:

matsaleh

Super Moderator
May 26, 2004
Legian, Bali
I also had a friend die recently, here in Bali, with complications from dengue fever. It's definitely a serious issue here.

Jimbo

Jan 11, 2005
Manchester and Makassar
My wife and 9 month old son have been in Bali now for 2 months. I have been visiting Bali for 12 years and have contracted Dengue fever once myself. We were both apprehensive about bringing our baby to Bali with the repoorts of Dengue. As of today I believe our son has contracted Dengue fever (fever and red rash on chest, uncharacteristic crying and irritably) despite our most vigilant efforts to protect him from mosquito bites.

To state that Dengue has been overstated is both dangerous and ill informed, one only needs to read WHO's fact sheets who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs117/en/
to realise that Dengue is now considered endemic in most SE Asia and regarded as a major health concern. If I could reverse my decision to spend 6 months in Bali for an extended break and spare my son the discomfort he is now I would not be here. We are in the processes of booking flights out as soon as possible.

On the other hand people have lived in Bali for many years without contracting it. Whilst one should always take precautions it should not be in panic mode. I can find you warnings abot spiders snakes and ticks in Australia that will make you never want to set foot there....as a F'rinstance

BKT

Apr 2, 2010
Auckland/Singaraja
I caught it last year and it sucked big time.

I use one of those electric tennis racket zapper things now, mainly for entertainment purposes

matsaleh

Super Moderator
May 26, 2004
Legian, Bali
Yes, well the problem is I can't see the little feckers (just for you, Markit) and by the time I find my glasses, I'm swatting at fresh air. :icon_rolleyes:

Jimbo

Jan 11, 2005
Manchester and Makassar
I use them but can never hit them although by brother in law is an expert. I use the heaters and blocks which I find does the trick. That and copious quatities of OFF if I go out.

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
A pub philosopher friend of mine can argue persuasively that Mosquitos prove the existence of God.

His argument goes that anything so biologically useless that causes people so much agony and pain proves the existence of the Devil and Hell.

If they exist then, ipso facto, God must also:icon_evil:

Just noticed that this is my 1500th post - bout time I got a life!!

goldminer

Apr 16, 2008
Sanur/Sunrise Dam Gold Mine
A pub philosopher friend of mine can argue persuasively that Mosquitos prove the existence of God.

His argument goes that anything so biologically useless that causes people so much agony and pain proves the existence of the Devil and Hell.

If they exist then, ipso facto, God must also:icon_evil:

Just noticed that this is my 1500th post - bout time I got a life!!
yea, right, congrats Markit..1500 is a lot of ???? haha, still a few to catch up to ya old mate Roy :icon_rolleyes: