jolyon_wagg

Oct 17, 2011
Hi, I would be looking for a lawyer in Bali, to set up a partnership agreement between myself and two friends, and also to assist in the formation of a PMA.

Is there some sort of local regulation board for lawyers that could help me find a suitable one?

Would anyone have any recommendations?

spicyayam

Jan 12, 2009
Yes, a notary is the person you should contact to make your agreements and set up your PMA. There are a number of companies that offer this service to foreigners, but they will still be using a notary to set this up. Lawyers get involved if later there is a problem. You can get things checked out by another lawyer, but in the end it will be a notary who does the work and registers your PMA. The same with purchasing land/property. Where are you located as you should be using a notary in the area where you will be registering your business.

sakumabali

Apr 2, 2010
Hi, I did my first PMA just with a notary (and a consultant), to be honest I just told them what I want to do in the future, they said no problem and I didn't read through all these papers in Bahasa, I just signed. Now as I have a problem as the right of legal business activity is different (unlike what was promised) I'd use a lawyer for the next time,
5000 $ for a lawyer compare to maybe 2500 - 3000 $ for a consultant, so maybe just 2000 $ more for a PMA who could be worth a lot of money? Lawyers provide you with translated contracts & also responsible...

gilbert de jong

Jan 20, 2009
Panji, Singaraja.
Hi, I did my first PMA just with a notary (and a consultant), to be honest I just told them what I want to do in the future, they said no problem and I didn't read through all these papers in Bahasa, I just signed. Now as I have a problem as the right of legal business activity is different (unlike what was promised) I'd use a lawyer for the next time,
5000 $ for a lawyer compare to maybe 2500 - 3000 $ for a consultant, so maybe just 2000 $ more for a PMA who could be worth a lot of money? Lawyers provide you with translated contracts & also responsible...

so basically the notary wasn't at fault, but you since you didn't read what you signed :icon_wink:
and a notary will also provide translated contracts, just ask/tell him you want all contracts translated.
The lawyer that you would use next time, also goes to an notary..so basically you would pay 2000 more just for a lawyer to translate something :highly_amused:
responsible? meaning?

Peter Ka

Mar 31, 2010
The business activity of the PMA can be changed. No need to start a new PMA. Still a hassle though. Any notary can do this. Good luck.

PS. Of course it could be that the activity you had in mind is on the restricted list...

sakumabali

Apr 2, 2010
The problem is that the regulation for different business activities varies...a consulting PMA for example can fully owned by a foreigner (100 %), a construction / building PMA just 49 / 51 % (around that), so you need indonesian partner (s)....but I heard that these regulation has changed recently :icon_rolleyes: nobody knows anything, I heard the reason for this is that most of the notaries bought all these new lawbooks in 2008 and now don't want to spend money again just because some laws changed....

The business activity of the PMA can be changed. No need to start a new PMA. Still a hassle though. Any notary can do this. Good luck.

PS. Of course it could be that the activity you had in mind is on the restricted list...

Peter Ka

Mar 31, 2010
Sukumabali, I don't know which notaries you have been talking to, but any decent one will know exactly which activity would be restricted. Fortunately the list is small and generally a foreigner can own 100% of a PMA. The list focuses mostly on agriculture. fisheries, forestry, mining, telcom, and anything that small local businesses can do.

sakumabali

Apr 2, 2010
Hi Peter,

yes it's sometimes weird here in Bali :icon_wink: don't want to go to much into details or diss anybody, just wouldn't take it so easily again personally.
It's not a BIG problem but it's a kind of a headache AND expensive to adjust...

Cheers!