mat

My first child will be born in December and I would like to take him on holiday with his mother to England next summer to 'meet the family' and see my origins. The question is; Has anyone had any experience getting a passport for their child?
I know he will be born British as I, as the father am British and when 'of age' he can choose his permanent nationality [either British or Indonesian]. Having a passport for both would be a great advantage for travel. Does anyone know how to go about this? Where to go? What documents are needed?
I will be pushed for time as I would like to travel in April next year. Any help or advice would be most welcome as I do need to go to England for business reasons and I could not bear to be parted from my family in the early months of my child's life. I know getting a visa for his mother will be the difficult bit, but am remaining hopeful.

So he will be British even though he is born in Indonesia? I thought they are both if they have both passports? Hmm you learn something new every day!!

Maybe you could go to your embassy? I'm sure they will know everything :) The Australian one was always VERY helpful to me!

Oh congrats on the baby!!! :)

My princess was born in Perth, with Indonesian mother. I applied for ozzie passport as per normal channels, and then went to indo consulate in Perth for indo passport for her. I had said passport in my hand in 3 weeks. No problem.:icon_e_smile:

My child was born in Bali, I am spanish and my husband balinese, we made her indonesian passport on the inmigration office in Denpasar and it was a normal process and easy (I guess you probably can do it on the inmigration office in Singaraja where you live is right?), and after that we made the spanish passport on the spanish embassy in Jakarta, very easy as well.
So she has two passports and we use both of them to travel, to go to Spain we uses the spanish one so she doesn´t need a visa and to come back to Indonesia we uses the indonesian one so she does not need a visa neither.
In this case my husband is the indonesian one so I am not sure if it is diferent been the father the foreinger.
I guess you need to talk to the brittish consulat in Bali and they will tell you all the documentation you need to prepare, like for any brittish child was born in Britain and applying for a passport I guess is probably the same papers.

If you are married it is straight forward and you register the birth with the british consulate. If you are not then you need to put him in his mothers passport and apply for a visit visa and sponsor both of them with the consulate.

Do not think it will be automatic that the baby will be registered as a british citizen because the father is british because it wont be but the baby can be Indonesian without problems.

I know getting a visa for his mother will be the difficult bit, but am remaining hopeful.

I had no problems in 2006 when I took my wife to Scotland. You have to answer a multitude of ridiculous questions (I seem to remember they ask if you have ever been involved in terrorist activity or been convicted of war crimes - or perhaps that was the Australian visa application) but as long as you are genuine, it should be a formality. Good luck.

My princess was born in Perth, with Indonesian mother. I applied for ozzie passport as per normal channels, and then went to indo consulate in Perth for indo passport for her. I had said passport in my hand in 3 weeks. No problem.:icon_e_smile:

Ditto for me as well except mine was a boy

We are flying to Bali on Monday and the passport won't be quite ready so the Indo Embassy has given us a an Affadavit ( as they call it ) which he can use until the Indonesian passport arrives. This was supplied at no charge which surprised me a bit :)

Cheers
Ken

Our 2nd son was born in Lombok. My wife is Indonesian and I am American. It wasn't that easy to qualify him for U.S. citizenship. I had to prove I kived in the U.S. X # of years; X # of those after I was 14. Also We had to prove my wife and I were in the same location during a 3 month window around the time of conception. All of which we did and all was granted including passport. It just seemed the gov. makes it much easier for an illegal to cross the border, next day have a child and wallah! That child is automatically a U.S. citizen. Note, I am not faulting the illegal so much as I am the U.S. gov. for not doing their job.
Our 1st son was born in the U.S. and the process for him to receive passports from both countries was relatively simple. Much easier dealing with the Indo. consulate in the U.S. than immigration in Indo. It's not hard to understand why.

Our 2nd son was born in Lombok. My wife is Indonesian and I am American. It wasn't that easy to qualify him for U.S. citizenship. I had to prove I kived in the U.S. X # of years; X # of those after I was 14. Also We had to prove my wife and I were in the same location during a 3 month window around the time of conception. All of which we did and all was granted including passport. It just seemed the gov. makes it much easier for an illegal to cross the border, next day have a child and wallah! That child is automatically a U.S. citizen. Note, I am not faulting the illegal so much as I am the U.S. gov. for not doing their job.
Our 1st son was born in the U.S. and the process for him to receive passports from both countries was relatively simple. Much easier dealing with the Indo. consulate in the U.S. than immigration in Indo. It's not hard to understand why.

Bitch, bitch, bitch. There is a lot to criticize about the bureaucracy in any country, including that of the United States, but, as a US citizen father (or mother), getting your children recognized as US citizens, it couldn't be simpler. How can you complain about these logical, minimum requirements?

The laws on acquisition of U.S. citizenship through a parent have always contemplated the existence of a blood relationship between the child and the parent(s) through whom citizenship is claimed. It is not enough that the child is presumed to be the issue of the parents. The burden of proving a claim to U.S. citizenship, including blood relationship and legal relationship is on the person making such claim.

Two of my four children were born outside the US. Each time, my wife, a US citizen, went to the US Embassy to register their births, which conferred on them their US citizenships. The basic laws haven't change since their inception, several centuries ago, except for some small details. For children, born before 1986, it required

1. One of the person's parents was a U.S. citizen when the person in question was born
  2. The citizen parent lived at least 10 years in the United States before the child's birth;
  3. A minimum of 5 of these 10 years in the United States were after the citizen parent's 14th birthday.
After 1986, the only changes in these simple requirements were further loosen.

1. The citizen parent lived at least 5 years in the United States before the child's birth
  2. A minimum of 2 of these 5 years in the United States were after the citizen parent's 14th birthday.
Children born in wedlock are generally presumed to be the issue of that marriage. This presumption is not determinative in citizenship cases, however, because an actual blood relationship to a U.S. citizen parent is required. If doubt arises that the citizen "parent" is related by blood to the child, the consular officer is expected to investigate carefully. In your case, the Consular Agent wanted to make sure that your child was conceived at a time when you had "access" to your wife. It may sound "bureaucratic" to you, but it was perfectly logical, and LEGAL, for the Consular Agent to do so.:icon_biggrin:

The acquiring of the US citizenship by being physically born in the US, on a US territories, or many other jurisdictions or circumstance, such as a US vessel, in the US airspace, etc, is based on a totally other set of laws.

A bit harsh I'd say Mr Tin Tin. I was just comparing the relative difficulty of my situation in comparison to the apparent simplicity of another situation. I was faulting the simplicity of the other situation rather than the relative complexity of my own. Also I thought I would let others know that the process for U.S. citizens may not be as simple as other countries. I didn't realize it before I experienced it myself. Thought it might be good info for someone. If I had thought it would draw that kind of reaction I probable wouldn't have bothered to post it and just let others find out on their own.

A bit harsh I'd say Mr Tin Tin. I was just comparing the relative difficulty of my situation in comparison to the apparent simplicity of another situation. I was faulting the simplicity of the other situation rather than the relative complexity of my own. Also I thought I would let others know that the process for U.S. citizens may not be as simple as other countries. I didn't realize it before I experienced it myself. Thought it might be good info for someone. If I had thought it would draw that kind of reaction I probable wouldn't have bothered to post it and just let others find out on their own.

Come on, Tom, you're a grown man, husband, and father, so you must have a thicker skin than that. Would we have been seating at a table, drinking beer, in a relaxing, friendly intercourse, you would have thought my remarks were just simple "conversation."

From my point of view, when blood lines are concerned, the US is certainly generous as far as facilitating a sibling or a parent into becoming a US citizen. Just my point of view, which happened not match your own opinion, that all.

Back