davita

Mar 13, 2012
This morning the realtor assured me that the Australian leaseholders representative in Bali has applied for the IMB but, because there is a backlog in the permit dept. caused by a reshuffle of that organisation, it will take up to 3 months to be issued.

no.idea

Feb 22, 2011
Sanur
Davita, catch up with me. We will organise a meeting with the guy who issues the IMB's for the Sanur area. He is easy to deal with. Is straight as they come. He also speaks a very good standard of English if your Indonesian is not up to scratch.

davita

Mar 13, 2012
Davita, catch up with me. We will organise a meeting with the guy who issues the IMB's for the Sanur area. He is easy to deal with. Is straight as they come. He also speaks a very good standard of English if your Indonesian is not up to scratch.

Thanks no.idea...but I think you're trying to help the wrong person. I only have an 'interest' to purchase a property that doesn't have an IMB...the Australian owner or his Bali rep seems to be the one's that need help and I have no.idea who they are (pun intended).

However, I'm intrigued as to why you could organise a meeting with a civil servant who issues IMB's and "He is easy to deal with. Is straight as they come".......shouldn't he be working in his office getting the IMB's done with haste, in the priority they were submitted...:confused:

Beck

Sep 3, 2014
The obvious reason that there is no IMB already in place is because there is a problem of some kind. I am sure the seller would love you for taking over the IMB problem. And as always in Indonesia a problem translates into money . Your money. The realtor will happily describe his/her favourite cross dressing as long you buy the lease. Ask them to call you back as soon as the "no problem IMB" has been sorted and watch the desperation appear on their faces. :lemo:

Heard from ony guy in Ubud that it took him several years to get his IMB apporoved. By then the building was finished. With the bill also came a substantial fee for "delay to pay" slapped on top. So not only do one need to check for an approved IMB, you also need to verify that is has been paid up in full.

Renting for a year or so sounds good. Might be worth thought checking with the neighbours if they sound any alarm bells about the seller. If things turn bad, just move. Leaving a years rent behind is bad but won't break you. If things turn out well and you like the place then bargin hard and buy the lease. If the freehold of your dreams suddenly come up you can easily make move on that too.

Last edited:

sugarbear

Mar 4, 2011
There is a saying in English that goes like this . . .

Thanks no.idea...but I think you're trying to help the wrong person. I only have an 'interest' to purchase a property that doesn't have an IMB...the Australian owner or his Bali rep seems to be the one's that need help and I have no.idea who they are (pun intended).

However, I'm intrigued as to why you could organise a meeting with a civil servant who issues IMB's and "He is easy to deal with. Is straight as they come".......shouldn't he be working in his office getting the IMB's done with haste, in the priority they were submitted...:confused:

"A fool and his money are soon parted". In Bali they have changed it to "A bule and his money are even sooner parted".
Hati hati!

Mark

Apr 19, 2004
I think the message here is that if you are on the wrong side of the law you are vulnerable to a shake down. Whether it's property, immigration/visa, driver's license, etc etc, when you operate in the grey area in Indonesia you are a potential target (and one with few defenses, quite rightfully). Davita, you are right to insist on the IMB before paying... Right now it's the other foreigner's problem and you are wise not to allow it to become your own. Hmmm, come to think of it, perhaps a significant discount on the property would be in order...

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
See the whole thing here in Indo is we all live in the "grey area" pretty much all the time - legally, that is.

Now some people can't deal with that at all (Germanics and people from highly regulated societies (Singapore?)) but the rest of us kinda like it and tend to get on with life in spite of it.

Getting on with it, in my case, means to try and understand all the things, bad and good, that might come from the situation.

In this case I view it as a plus, in terms of the charges/rent, that the house has no IMB and has been empty for a while and a minus that the tenancy might be a little precarious. So, what to do?

If you have the cojones for it, take the house as is for the lowest rent you can bargain (for the full tenancy term).

Insist that you only pay a year at a time until the IMB is finished BY THE OWNER.

Don't unpack completely until you have it.

Normy

Jul 22, 2012
Perth, Sanur
Hi all, Slightly off topic, but has anyone had experience with being taxed on selling overcontract lease on a rented house. The amount received being equal to the original yearly rent. Is the sum received counted as revenue. IMO it is a refund of monies previously paid, albeit received from a 3rd party.

no.idea

Feb 22, 2011
Sanur

I withdraw my offer you pompous turd.
I hope it all goes to ****. I offer you assistance that you obviously need and you attempt to make a mockery off it. As Markit would say.......Feck off!

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
While you are at it you might want to inquire about a Pondok Wisata that we are all supposed to have now too. Either our nominee or who so ever is renting to us...

davita

Mar 13, 2012
I withdraw my offer you pompous turd.
I hope it all goes to ****. I offer you assistance that you obviously need and you attempt to make a mockery off it. As Markit would say.......Feck off!

There's no need for personal insults no.idea.

I didn't ask anywhere for assistance to get an IMB...as I've no need. My OP and the thread was to ascertain if it was normal to purchase a leasehold property without an IMB being issued...the consensus I've gathered is it's very risky. Consequently, I've decided to wait that result before doing anything more.

If you wish to show to all members that you 'know' someone in the IMB office that's great, go ahead and post.....but your first remark in post #23 was 'Davita, catch up with me'.
I don't need to 'catch up with you' no.idea.....especially as I now read how impolite and toxically insulting you are.

Last edited:

davita

Mar 13, 2012
While you are at it you might want to inquire about a Pondok Wisata that we are all supposed to have now too. Either our nominee or who so ever is renting to us...

Good question......which I asked our Notary when we bought our villa (Nominee Hak Milik).
It was explained that as our names (9 times) were on the Deed Statement (Pernyataan) as entitled to enjoy the land and building (Tanah dan Bangunan) we were not renters for nominee income, thus no need for a Pondok Wisata unless we decided to rent it out to others.
I was particularly worried about this detail, as we were about the money transfer. Our nominee has a status in Gov't. so we had to be completely above law. We were also advised against attaching a villa name as it might attract unwarranted attention that it could be a rental villa.

Don't know about leasehold but assume the same principle prevails.....as the leaseholders name, and contract of lease, would be on the lease title.

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Good question......which I asked our Notary when we bought our villa (Nominee Hak Milik).
It was explained that as our names (9 times) were on the Deed Statement (Pernyataan) as entitled to enjoy the land and building (Tanah dan Bangunan) we were not renters for nominee income, thus no need for a Pondok Wisata unless we decided to rent it out to others. that make some sense
I was particularly worried about this detail, as we were about the money transfer. Our nominee has a status in Gov't. so we had to be completely above law. We were also advised against attaching a villa name as it might attract unwarranted attention that it could be a rental villa. Can you explain that please - "attaching" where?

Don't know about leasehold but assume the same principle prevails.....as the leaseholders name, and contract of lease, would be on the lease title.

Well the leaseholder is renting to you so under a strict interpretation of the law that could be grounds for them having a Pondok Wisata if I understand my person's argument in the local gov offices.

In all honesty I do think it's just another "lets tap the bule" exercise". Which unfortunately doesn't mean we won't be called to pay...

Rangi

May 23, 2011
Legian
I don't need to 'catch up with you' no.idea.... .especially as I now read how impolite and toxically insulting you are.

Poor no.idea. This must be devastating news for him.

Nothing wrong with a few toxic insults IMO

sakumabali

Apr 2, 2010
ok guys :) back to the topic: it looks like there are ZONINGS in Indonesia. some are "kawasan peruntukan pemukiman"(private use - non commercial) and "kawasan peruntukan pariwisata" (hotel / villa / commercial). these are 2 of 13 :( soon it could happen that you build a villa and - as in my case - it'd happen that you're 10 meter out of the next zoning. So in case you are renting out they don't let you paying taxes because you are legally not allowed to rent it out. Make sense? noooo
but what do you expect from a country where you have to pay money to get a tax card to be able to pay money to the government....

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Suk or anyone can you give us/me some land taxation information? I've had my house now for about 6 years and due to various applications have yet to pay any land tax so now all is ready (except me) and I'm gonna have to stump up some dosh but I would rather know myself how much than wait patiently for my "helper" to inform me.

It's 2000 square meters in a "Brown" Tourism zoned area by Amlapura.

davita

Mar 13, 2012
Sorry...I should have said "attaching a villa name-plate to the door/wall."

I think you mean if the Hak Milik owner signs a lease it could be construed as renting a house of less than 5 rooms, thus requiring a Pondok Wisata.
Maybe you're right...all law in RI seems wide open to interpretation by whomever...every day I read these comical interpretations between Police lawyers/KPK lawyers and the Political Leaders...