combisteve

Nov 27, 2014
Does anyone know what's involved in building a house in Bali. I've secured some land. What approvals etc. Do I need

sakumabali

Apr 2, 2010
U need a building permit and material to build - sorry I couldn't resist, are u serious Steve?

DenpasarHouse

Aug 13, 2013
Hi CombiSteve, our house was sort of a package deal so all the initial set-up was done by the developer but here's what I can think of off the top of my head.

1. Zoning - does the current zone on your piece of land allow residential buildings?
2. Get your plans drawn up by an architect and checked by a structural engineer.
3. Possibly do a soil test to see how far down your footings need to go. I was told this is not always necessary as the local government has certified standard depths for certain areas. I have no idea is this is true.
4. Submit your plans to obtain your building permit(i.e. IMB) Often building commences before the IMB is issued. Sounds dodgy, probably is, but I think this is a very common practice.
5. Build.

I hope you're retired because you're going to have to double check everything yourself. Know anything about plumbing or septic tanks? Well you better get up to speed, because there's no guarantee your contractor knows anything about them either.

Generally, I found that your contractor and labourers will take the same amount of care no matter how important the stage of work is. That is, not very much.

Communication is a huge issue, nothing to do with language issues, they're simply terrible at passing on information and don't seem to be able to read plans.

The worst experiences I've had are with outside contractors who are doing the job on a per/m2 basis rather than just getting a daily wage and working until it's finished. They try to cut every and any corner possible, and get testy when the realise they can't get away with it. It's strange to know that the quote they've submitted is predicated on them doing a half-arsed job. You'll need to check their work multiple times.

Good luck.

Last edited:

DenpasarHouse

Aug 13, 2013
This thread might be helpful too.

combisteve

Nov 27, 2014
thanks DenpasarHouse for the info, It gives me a head start on the process. Iv'e worked as a tradie assistant for a plumber, electrician and builder for a number of years so I know dodgy when I see it!!

SamD

Sep 7, 2006
Seminyak
Despite not knowing your personal circumstances, I would still be advising you to think long and hard about the course of action you are planning. When you say you have "secured" some land, do you mean you have already signed a contract? If so, your first post shows you have made a fundamental mistake right at the start of your project: not undertanding the legal aspects of land and building purchase in Indonesia. If not, what is your motivation for wanting to build a house in Bali? Holiday home, investment, retirement? Do you have family ties in Bali? My impression is that this is an impulse decision and you have not thought it through properly. There are plenty of properties for rent in Bali, don't discount that option. I wouldn't even consider buying a property unless I was financially secure and could afford to lose my investment without destroying myself financially. "Buying" in Indonesia for a bule is not the same as in Australia, as you probably know.

Caveat emptor, my friend. What appears a dream to you now, may end up a nightmare in ten years. I know from experience. Many years ago I built a house on a Pacific island, my dream house. It is still there, but I don't own it and have no practical legal avenue to get it back. It was stolen from me by somebody I trusted but who ended up stabbing me in the back for my troubles.

Sam

no.idea

Feb 22, 2011
Sanur
I have built a number of houses in Bali. I actually was a registered builder in Australia. A lot of "builders" here are actually property developers and not real builders so they have rolled along letting the bad building practices to remain.
I was actually the construction manager when building the Australian Consulate in Denpasar in 2006.
Things that niggle me are
(1) architects love to put toilets directly off of kitchens.
(2) walls are rendered (plastered) and then the power points and electrical switches are chased (cut) into the walls. The resulting patch up job is always obvious.
(3) generally Indonesians do not swim, so they know very little about swimming pools. They always make the bloody things too deep.
(4) "tradesman" do not possess something as basic as a level.
(5) there is no pride in a finished job. Get someone in to paint a wall and this always includes a section of ceiling, a bit of the floor, a chair or two and possibly even the family dog.

combisteve

Nov 27, 2014
Thanks Sam. I get along very well with the leader of the villiage the block of land is in. I've stayed in his home a couple of times. The opportunity come up to "lease" the Hak Milik as the owner owes his bank money. Its very cheap and I would be kicking myself in years to come if I let this pass me by. Im still wary but sometimes you have to take calculated risks !! Nothing ventured nothing gained and in this case very little lost. Thanks for your advise and concerns, I've taken it on board.

Combisteve

combisteve

Nov 27, 2014
Hahaha no.idea, so if I want a white house with all white furnishings and furniture, a septic that doubles as a swimming pool in the kitchen and the entire structure to be a lean two or three with exposed wiring as a feature, I should be OK....Thanks mate. I just need to get a dog......Love it!!!

combisteve

Nov 27, 2014
Haha,that's all I needed to know, Thanks sakumabali, I knew life in Bali was going to be simple!!!! Take care

spicyayam

Jan 12, 2009
The opportunity come up to "lease" the Hak Milik as the owner owes his bank money.

Did the owner use the land as collateral for his loan to the bank?