pyragelos

May 20, 2011
Hi all,
I was wondering, does anyone have any idea how much I should pay a Balinese language tutor per hour?
And if anyone has any recommendations that would be greatly appreciated.
(preferably around Denpasar, or Sanur, or Singapadu...)

Thanks!

soontobeexpat

Dec 30, 2010
Perth, Australia
Hi all,
I was wondering, does anyone have any idea how much I should pay a Balinese language tutor per hour?

Thanks!

Just out of curiosity - why do you want to learn balinese?

pyragelos

May 20, 2011
Hello, thanks for the replies.
soontobeexpat: I am a research student interested in theatre commentary, so I need to be able to understand as much of the dialogue in balinese performance as possible and also Balinese discussing among themselves. There are also nuances that cannot be expressed in Indonesian.

spicyayam: This sounds like a very good price. Is your teacher a trained tutor? I asked around yesterday and this is what I found out: The faculty of Letters at Udayana charges $20 (about Rp 170.000) for 100 minutes and a friend of a friend who works at the University asked for 200-250k for 1.5 hour. So 50.000/hour is a bargain. Where is your teacher based and would you be willing to share? :icon_wink:

spicyayam

Jan 12, 2009
My teacher is in Lovina which could be a bit far to travel. I think she has a Masters in language education. She might know of someone in Denpasar. I will ask for you.

matsaleh

Super Moderator
May 26, 2004
Legian, Bali
I've found it very difficult to find someone who is trained to teach the Balinese language in the south. I'd also be interested, spicy.

tintin

Sep 13, 2005
Boston, MA, USA
Hi all,

Thanks!

Given your spelling of the most basic word in the Indonesian language in title of this string, I would suggest you'd start with lessons in bahasa Indonesia, which will GREATLY facilitate your acquiring basic skills in bahasa Bali.:concern:

Annam

Oct 6, 2011
kerobokan
Hi Daniel, appreciate that. I always thought it was Bahasa, but if you look at the post before mine, the person put Bahasa Indonesian, and then put Basa Bali - so I thought that I must have been wrong and just copied what she had written.

Thanks Daniel! Still smiling!!

kemarayana

Feb 26, 2013
Some college student majoring in Balinese literature would be a great mentor and maybe worth the price i think
do anyone still need one ?

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
I love it when these old thread come up again - it's like "back to the future" but ... not!

Gil, I now sorta NOW understand what you said back then so I'm still lernen as the saying goes..