spicyayam

Jan 12, 2009
I don't know how these kinds of articles get passed as news or travel writing - basically one long rant about the transport guys in Ubud and shops selling wooden penises.

This tout smiled and asked if I wanted “transport”. I smiled and explained very politely that in Australia, if a woman gets on a motorbike with a stranger, that is called prostitution. He looked as though I'd just told him the sun was a balloon. I don't think he honestly had a clue what I was on about.

Bali: why bother? | Kuta | Denpasar | Ubud | Street touts

matsaleh

Super Moderator
May 26, 2004
Legian, Bali
I actually feel for this woman. I've had many friends come to Bali for the first time and express the same sentiments.

Before I owned a motorbike, I couldn't stand to walk down jalan Legian or the main streets of Ubud for exactly the same reasons. I find the whole "tout/hawker/transport/you see my shop" thing very stressful and I've been here nearly 5 years!

I agree wholeheartedly with this statement, "In short, Ubud would be a great holiday destination, if they removed the frankly terrible street touts, and the tacky souvenir shops." Same goes for Kuta/Legian.

C

CanonMan

Well you have to kind of agree with the piece. I detest having to go around the tourist areas but have to for business. I lose count of the number of times I'm tooted by cabs, propositioned by girls in Bemo's and showered with pleas to buy all manner of souvenirs including the wooden willy's. I can't understand how these street hawkers think their behavior is acceptable, maybe because in their mind they will only see these tourists once so they have to try as hard as possible to get a sell. It drives people nuts, as it did the reported here. Sadly this is the growing image of Bali.

Cheers,
Mark.

mastercaster

Nov 10, 2010
"Bad behaviour does go both ways — I equally would condemn those frightening Aussies overseas who urinate in the street and I was gobsmacked to see one topless young white guy at 11am one day strolling down Monkey Forest Road, open stubby in hand, his shorts almost down to his thighs to reveal his underpants".

Ubud was a great place to be 10 years or more ago : ) .. but, started going downhill fast .. almost exactly 5 years ago ... hawking/transport been going on forever but, now way out of hand .. and that there are Aussie's cruising the streets of Ubud like the guy she mentions above ..

Well Ubud is :

The Art and Cultural Center of Bali :highly_amused:

Last edited:

Tiggy

May 6, 2011
Lombok
I can't understand how these street hawkers think their behavior is acceptable, maybe because in their mind they will only see these tourists once so they have to try as hard as possible to get a sell.

ya thats what I was told the reason was when I asked around. If they can bully a few people into buying crap they reckon its a win. Guess its a somewhat valid strategy considering everyone is mostly selling the same items/services. Its so frustrating though as I am FAR more likely to look in and buy in a shop where people leave me alone other than a friendly hello. So many times I have wanted to buy something, or at least have a squiz, but stopping is just not worth it.

I think the article was fair, other than her silly comment about getting on the back of a mans bike you don't know makes ya a whore. Uh... since when? Does that mean we get to charge them instead of them charging us ;). I also don't see why she has her knickers in a bunch over some wooden penis statues. Oh no, its a penis and its made of wood! RUNNNNN! Whatever.

The overly aggressive sellers at kintamani (or however one spells it) at that tourist trap restaurant were the worst I have ever ever experienced. I can normally smile, say no and then eyes down and get away but those bugger... jebus. A pack of about 20 surrounded me, all yelling and shoving crap in my face. Ended up crossing my eyes, flapping my arms like a wounded bird and yelling ahhhhhh. Shocked the buggers enough to let me outta the mob. Was either that or physically smash through it. I am sure I gave them a good story about that crazy bule who was briefly possessed by demons ;).

kayoticlaudia

Mar 10, 2011
Indonesia & Germany
Hmmmm ..... I don't like this development in Bali either, but the rant was a bit exaggerated in my opinion! The funny thing is that even my Balinese fiance gets hassled in Ubud. It makes me smile when they first try to sell a massage or transport to me with no success and then try it on my fiance! But the thing is I just smile and tell them in bahasa that I drive my own car and that I am well taken care of in re. to massages. AND then they no longer want to sell me something but want to find out more about me. Many times I think if more of the Balinese could speak english they would appear less aggressive to foreigners. Most only know "Transport, transport" or "Cheap, cheap only one dolla"

If you start a conversation with them in bahasa about what they are doing it all becomes harmless.....

In Chinatown in New York and in Little India in S'pore I've been hassled to buy from shops, street hawkers etc. It never put me in state that I would announce never to go there again!

And as for those penises! You see them everywhere! Just recently I was in San Antonio, Texas in a souvenir shop and ...... lo and behold wooden penises in all shapes and colors! So you don't only see them in Ubud or Kuta!

But I am glad that I don't live in the South or around Ubud. So much more relaxed in the East - and it does help that I speak the language and most already know me by now.

BKT

Apr 2, 2010
Auckland/Singaraja
I was in Kuta the other day carrying my Helmet in one hand while jingling my keys in the other and some guy still asked me if I wanted transport. :livid: I was lost for words, maybe he thought I'd parked my bike in Sanur.

alphonso

May 26, 2011
Bit of an over the top article. Just one bogan with bir in hand walking through Ubud? Please. The writer obviously hasn't been to Little Orrrrstraaya (Kuta).

As for the hawkers and transport guys, just respond with a few basic local words and watch their faces light up with a smile. Politely decline and move on. These people are poor and of low education and this is how they try put food on the table.

motormouth

Aug 29, 2009
Canggu
It is not only on the streets, the hawkers have invaded the airport and it's parking areas. Nothing worse than walking from your car to to check in an get asked do you want a taxi about 6 times.Then when you go upstairs you have people spruking for customers.. You want drink( at 700% increase on supermarket prices) and then touts with menus in hand asking do you want to eat as your are heading for your plane to board.
The whole tout/spruking experience is at you right until you leave the country.
I once walked from the domestic terminal to the international. After the the first time l decided to count the approaches for transport, which normally had someone pretending to turn a steering wheel right in my face.The total was 11 times WTF.Give me a break, l'm not going to respond 11 times to that rubbish, so l pretend l am Russisn and mumble something incomprehensible like nish nish noff etc and watch them back right off.Actually it is a good laugh watching the responses

pollyanna

Feb 8, 2010
Ubud, Bali
I was in Kuta the other day carrying my Helmet in one hand while jingling my keys in the other and some guy still asked me if I wanted transport. :livid: I was lost for words, maybe he thought I'd parked my bike in Sanur.

Same here. I'm sure this happens to all of us all the time. The funniest was when I got out of my car and was closing the door when the guy standing on the footpath asked if I wanted taksi. But he had a big smile on his face and was just making a joke, being friendly. When someone says "taksi?" or "transport?" I often just smile, hold up my keys and ask them where they want to go. They always laugh.

They aren't only targeting westerners either. At the Sukawati tourist market the Indonesians are hassled just as much as bules.

And this sure doesn't happen only in Bali. Years ago my husband and I were staying in Potts Point near Kings Cross. Walking to the train station in the Cross was an education in the numerous, creative, and innovative propositions for shows, threesomes, duos, etc.

Fred2

Oct 13, 2010
Surabaya/Australia
I can't believe this you all live in Bali, there are 3 words "sorry I'm German" poof no more hawkers:icon_mrgreen:.
As we all know Australian come to Bali with money falling out of there pockets, wanting to buy any shit.
Now when they say "you Aussie" you say "sorry I'm German" & then when look confused you say "sorry I don't speak English" then they even look more confused as they walk off.
Everyone knows Germans are tighter then a fish's bum.

tintin

Sep 13, 2005
Boston, MA, USA
...Nothing worse than walking from your car to to check in an get asked do you want a taxi about 6 times...

Actually, I think getting your testicles caught in one of these large hotel revolving doors is much worse (and embarrassing)...:icon_rolleyes:

Last edited:

alphonso

May 26, 2011
I can't believe this you all live in Bali

Maybe the admin can post anon location stats of forum users.. for example: of the top 100 active ppl on this website, 23% have an Indo IP address. Admin probably already knows, but might be interesting for others too :icon_smile:

spicyayam

Jan 12, 2009
Here is a reply to the original article In Bali, Carolyn, a little tidak goes a long way - The Drum Opinion (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

Some of the comments are amazing.

"If you want a Ballinese experience see if you can find a real Balinese original person, they are something to meet, Beautitfull people. Most of the population in Bali are from Indonesia."

"The point is that the Balinese are Hindu, and a unique Balinese form too. In terms of doctrines to live your life by, the Balinese people are a lot more kind-hearted and generous than the Indonesians, who are mostly Muslims. "

Fred2

Oct 13, 2010
Surabaya/Australia
I know people that come to Bali & would never come again, I know people that come 3 times a year (to Bali), so come & see for yourself, you may like it or you may hate it. I love love it here in Indonesia. I don't know who this Pratt is & never read any of her stories, is she someone famous?

calitobali

Jul 10, 2008
I think they both just forgot to clarify "from THE REST OF Indonesia" and "than the REST OF THE Indonesians".

pollyanna

Feb 8, 2010
Ubud, Bali
I can't believe this you all live in Bali, there are 3 words "sorry I'm German" poof no more hawkers:icon_mrgreen:.
As we all know Australian come to Bali with money falling out of there pockets, wanting to buy any shit.
Now when they say "you Aussie" you say "sorry I'm German" & then when look confused you say "sorry I don't speak English" then they even look more confused as they walk off.
Everyone knows Germans are tighter then a fish's bum.

Not always. One day my husband admired the sandals of a guy he didn't know. The guy said if we gave him our address he'd be happy to send some when he returned home to Germany. About 2 months later a pair of German Birkenstocks arrived. Now that is truly unexpected human kindness.