ronb

Aug 14, 2007
Ubud, Bali
I think they both just forgot to clarify "from THE REST OF Indonesia" and "than the REST OF THE Indonesians".

You're being so kind to them. Makes me remember back then when Jay Leno on the Tonight Show did street walks and asked college students geography questions like "What other nations share land borders with the US" - they would look confused and say something like Texas.

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
I really, really don't understand anymore. Ummm been travelling a bit in the last 50 years and actually everyone, everywhere, all the time 24/7 is trying their best to sell me something. On the roads, on the TV, on the sidewalks, on the radio, on the newspapers, on the EVERYTHING!!!!

Welcome to capitalism. My only question is why is anyone surprised?

There does not seem to be any facit of life where we are not poked, propositioned or prostituted into giving someone our hard earned (or not) money for something. To act like we are disturbed by that at some point in the operation is, frankly, acting like a virgin as you throw away the used condom.

Bali is IMHO one of the least oppressive theaters of this mass action. As I read through the many submissions here the highlight was the HUMOUR or humor for our less literary US subjects. Humor is what makes it palatable or buyable. So instead of railing against the process lets beg form more laughs.:icon_biggrin:

kayoticlaudia

Mar 10, 2011
Indonesia & Germany
I really, really don't understand anymore. Ummm been travelling a bit in the last 50 years and actually everyone, everywhere, all the time 24/7 is trying their best to sell me something. On the roads, on the TV, on the sidewalks, on the radio, on the newspapers, on the EVERYTHING!!!!

Welcome to capitalism. My only question is why is anyone surprised?

There does not seem to be any facit of life where we are not poked, propositioned or prostituted into giving someone our hard earned (or not) money for something. To act like we are disturbed by that at some point in the operation is, frankly, acting like a virgin as you throw away the used condom.

Bali is IMHO one of the least oppressive theaters of this mass action. As I read through the many submissions here the highlight was the HUMOUR or humor for our less literary US subjects. Humor is what makes it palatable or buyable. So instead of railing against the process lets beg form more laughs.:icon_biggrin:

Oh now that you say that makes me realize that the "touting" is harmless compared to the SPAM emails, the thousands of fliers and brochures in the mail, and the people who knock on your door selling stuff...... (just had one and had a hard time getting rid of him). Oh and the 100s of those that call me wanting to sell something!