Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
I have a question. Are we talking only about international schools being garbage or all schools in Bali? I remember my wife's sister attending high school and one day I tried to help her and found it was seriously difficult. And when my wife was in college I also tried to help her but found I couldn't because it was all over my head. I have no experience with the international schools but I don't think that the local schools are slacking at all.

All the schools that I've heard about or had any dealings with the teachers or students where a shambles. The Balinese schools are divided up into 2 shifts morning classes for the young ones and afternoon for the the adolescents - this is different in the various regions though I am told. What is the same all over Indonesia is the level (exceptionally low) of teacher ability. No school teaches independent thinking or questioning of authority in any way - conformity, conformity, conformity is the guiding rule. For instance the young ones arrive and just play until its rice time then play some more until it's lunchtime/home time.

The Indo parents that I know have all sent their kids to the after-school help classes (expensive) at Primagama with mixed results. It seems to only bring them up to an "acceptable" Indo level (low, measured against international standards, actually very low).

I mean honestly, your really only need to come up against similar professions that are represented here by complete idiots to see what the education system here offers. Doctors that drop one-way needles on the floor before using them and then pick them up and with a dust-off are ready to go again. Engineers that can't add - hell, nobody here can add for shite - can't think how many times some "clever" handler has happily "cheated" me out of his profit because he can't add 2 3 digit numbers.

The list goes on and on. Unfortunately.

Gozer

Jul 1, 2013
Denpasar, Bali
To be fair when comparing doctors it is important to remember that here despite the name they are only required to have a masters.

bjbjrowe

Apr 13, 2012
Kansas, USA
What about home schooling? How hard is it to get teaching materials for parents to home school their children?

My Balinese son-in-law seems very knowledgeable on many things and he talks about hating school and even making his teachers cry and quit. I don't understand the high school system he seemed to have studied at. He had to move to Singaraja and live in an apartment with other students. Seems awfully young to be sent away to live on one's own when only in high school.

Yes, I am concerned about the quality of education my grand-daughters will be obtaining when living in Bali but sometimes knowledge comes from more than just the classroom. My daughter plans on home schooling along with local education but will she be able to obtain the materials to teach?

And then, hopefully, they will come to USA to live with Grandma to go to college.

spicyayam

Jan 12, 2009
Home schooling is an option. I think it would depend on the parents and would require a lot of motivation and discipline for both the parent and child. I was speaking to a teacher here and she said it is very easy for home schooled students to fall behind and they lacked social skills.

This thread is depressing as a parent but then yesterday I met an Indonesian lady from Jakarta who just opened a kid's English school here, who had studied in Australia and Singapore. I have heard of kids who have gone through the Indonesian system here and now studying in Australia/Singapore. I don't think it is all doom and gloom, but I think the criticisms post here are certainly valid.

Last edited:

Gozer

Jul 1, 2013
Denpasar, Bali
I agree. I know many successful intelligent Indonesians that went through the normal education system. I even had a Balinese in college with me and he was as smart as they come. Is there problems with their system? Yes. Are you doomed if you get a degree here? No, I don't think so. At least I hope not because my son will be attending school here when he is old enough. Maybe I will send him to the US for college I don't know yet I have 18 or so years to decide that.

newlife35

Dec 19, 2013
Perth for now
What was the difference in your child...good or bad ??

I think the scaremongerer in this thread is generalising way to much....like anywhere there is good and bad...like anywhere, there will be good schools and good teachers with good results...doubt they are the majority, so you need to dig around and find them.

Thailand has a very poor reputation for schools...pathetic actually.....many Inter schools are simply cash cows and 'look at me' projects for the owners to strut about all pompus like.

However I have found a very good school which my kids seemed to have excelled in...not at everything, but who does....but it is time to move onto the next adventure....and go surfing.

The experience hasnt been good. He is a sensitive little soul and doesnt seem to conform to the educational system here in Perth. HIs teacher is a bit on the older style and has unfortunately told him and us on no uncertain terms he will struggle with his school life. The level of self confidence has been rapidly diminished over the last 12 months and we are now left with a little boy who doesnt like school...
As you say ill have to dig around but as its for a short term and not a permanent move im comfortable with it being an adventure.

newlife35

Dec 19, 2013
Perth for now
I have a question. Are we talking only about international schools being garbage or all schools in Bali? I remember my wife's sister attending high school and one day I tried to help her and found it was seriously difficult. And when my wife was in college I also tried to help her but found I couldn't because it was all over my head. I have no experience with the international schools but I don't think that the local schools are slacking at all.

Great to hear Gozer.. which school did she attend?

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Everything about this subject and thread makes me absolutely ecstatic that I'm past the reproducing age and can forget all that bullshit. On the other hand nothing makes me sadder than reading the doomed/hopeful replies and questions of those that are still confronted with this problem.

Might I also point out that in the many of those replies it seems to me that it's the "other" partner, the one that hasn't made that decision to come to Bali but is only following on in the footsteps of the decider, that is leading with their concerns.

To recap: IMHO if you're only coming for 1 or 2 years then your children will survive the experience and might even possibly take something away of great value from the chance to have lived so closely with a foreign system and culture.

If on the other hand you are planning a longer term association with the Indonesian school system then you really have only one responsible choice and that is to board your child in a ridiculously expensive European boarding school (US boarding schools are shite too and teach the High School Diploma which no one on the planet thinks is good, except those that have it...).

You don't need to do this immediately as those schools are really very, very good at ironing out the bullshit that your kids have been exposed to previously.

The really import years are from 14 to 18 either for the IB (International Baccalaureate) or the English "A" Level system (Cambridge and/or Oxford board). This will allow junior/miss to progress onto a meaningful and hopefully productive college life drinking and shagging to excess and then running a company of window cleaners, as opposed to being one.

Start saving your pennies now and by the time the kiddies are that age is should only cost upwards of USD $50k a year to send them there - they will be eternally grateful and you will have to do your own windows.

newlife35

Dec 19, 2013
Perth for now
Everything about this subject and thread makes me absolutely ecstatic that I'm past the reproducing age and can forget all that bullshit. On the other hand nothing makes me sadder than reading the doomed/hopeful replies and questions of those that are still confronted with this problem.

Might I also point out that in the many of those replies it seems to me that it's the "other" partner, the one that hasn't made that decision to come to Bali but is only following on in the footsteps of the decider, that is leading with their concerns.

To recap: IMHO if you're only coming for 1 or 2 years then your children will survive the experience and might even possibly take something away of great value from the chance to have lived so closely with a foreign system and culture.

If on the other hand you are planning a longer term association with the Indonesian school system then you really have only one responsible choice and that is to board your child in a ridiculously expensive European boarding school (US boarding schools are shite too and teach the High School Diploma which no one on the planet thinks is good, except those that have it...).

You don't need to do this immediately as those schools are really very, very good at ironing out the bullshit that your kids have been exposed to previously.

The really import years are from 14 to 18 either for the IB (International Baccalaureate) or the English "A" Level system (Cambridge and/or Oxford board). This will allow junior/miss to progress onto a meaningful and hopefully productive college life drinking and shagging to excess and then running a company of window cleaners, as opposed to being one.

Start saving your pennies now and by the time the kiddies are that age is should only cost upwards of USD $50k a year to send them there - they will be eternally grateful and you will have to do your own windows.

Thanks Markit!!!
You are right. It is a bit heartbreaking when you join a forum to try and gain advice of those who have traveled the same path that we are about to embark on , that you are greeted with harsh comments. I do understand from the forum that Balinese schools are not to the same standard as other countries but im just trying to navigate on a pretty scary road, to make this decision that has been made to relocate for 1-2 years, a bit less daunting. Ill start the save now as i dont want Junior and Miss to miss out on the essential growth that Uni has to offer ie shagging and drinking.... you are a very eloquent and funny writer gave me my giggle for the day so thanks :)

Hoping to be onto global food domination by the time kids are 14-18...gotta have a dream!!

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
If you have seen the numb-nutted and plain stupid requests for this information that have appeared here on the forum over the several years I've been thrashing the posters you will hopefully understand that I'm firmly on the side of the kiddies and I truly think they are in the hands of people that really don't have their best interests at heart - hence my tone.

newlife35

Dec 19, 2013
Perth for now
If you have seen the numb-nutted and plain stupid requests for this information that have appeared here on the forum over the several years I've been thrashing the posters you will hopefully understand that I'm firmly on the side of the kiddies and I truly think they are in the hands of people that really don't have their best interests at heart - hence my tone.

I can totally understand and see that you have the kids intentions at the forefront. Yes some kids definitely do get taken on the Ego ride of their parents!!

samsiam

Feb 2, 2014
Perhaps he just does not want kids screaming at his favourite restaurant and its his mission to eliminate them....one kiddie at a time.

newlife35

Dec 19, 2013
Perth for now

No clothes are unfortunately required...but just trying to make an eating experience a bit more enjoyable without the screaming kids... check us out as we will be heading to Thailand soon to expand... Bali Food Safari... hope shameless plugging is allowed... : ()

no.idea

Feb 22, 2011
Sanur
While I agree that education is very important, teaching your kids to think outside of the square is also paramount.

I married an Indonesian girl who was forced to leave school at 10 years of age. Her father had a severe stroke and her mother had to leave home to work. Therefore she had to look after her father and her 6 younger siblings.
Okay since meeting me she now drives a car, speaks and write 4 languages and is well aware of world wide events. However thinking outside of the square she asked me to help her start up a small business three years ago. Our outlay was $6,000. Last calender year she cleared $40,000 from this business.

One year ago a good friend of mine saw an advert for a certain product.Thinking outside the square, he designed a web page and then approached the manufacturers. They offered him 15% of any profits they made through his web site. He is currently getting paid more than $1,000 per day.
He has been offered $1,000,000 for the website name and rights to the website. Not bad for one years work.