odez999

Jul 4, 2011
The plan is to go cheapest ... and that usually mean to stay as little as possible !
KL visa run is doable in 2 days ....
Meaning ...
If you apply before 12:00 ... you will be able to pick up your visa next day from 15:00-17:00 ! (I did this 3 times in a row, in KL, no problems, same passport)

Best plan is to take plane fome Bali at 06:00 and arrive round 09:00 at KL ...(monday throught thursday)

!!! CHECK FOR INDO AND MALAY HOLLIDAYS !!!

And directly go from airport to embassy ! And pick it up tomorrow round 16:00 and continue to our return flight wich could be anywhere from like 19:30 on ... !

You need at least 2 hours ... time frame ... to go from Embassy to LCCT terminal (AIRPORT) ...
You can do it theoreticly in 45min .. pay taxi straight away .. and be lucky with traffic all the way ... have good driver ... etc...

But I always was booking return ticket .. round 20:00 - 21:00 .. have enough time ... to do window "shopping" a bit ... eat here and there . .etc ...
Do I have to say that is always better to have 1-2 hours extra .. ??

Usually you will be using AirAsia since it has hub in KL so it is the usually cheapest option !

In Kuala Lumpur you will arrive on LCCT terminal ! It is a bit outside KL (one hour drive via bus on highway, and usually there are no so much traffic)

On LCCT terminal ...they do not use shuttle buses to take you from the airplane to the building , you are using some sort of walking tunnels-corridors to come from plain to airport bulding !
When you are in .. it is not so much far from the immigration check !
No hustle and usually no waiting ... (my experience) ...
You need like max 15-30 min from landing until you exit airport (if there are no any delays)!

On the exit ...do not buy nothing all the way (you have counters offering bus tickets , BUS+MRT combos etc etc ...)
You do not need any since all you can buy on the spot, when entering bus or MRT !

When you exit, airport .. you cant miss just follow all people, you will be on same as the enterance ...
Domestic and Int. arrivals and departures .. are on SAME GATE .. and that is the only one !

when you exit it ... maybe 50 meters from the exit/enterance you can see parked busses ... yellow,pink.. or whatever .. with advertising on them LCCT-Central Station ..or wherever ...
You can not miss it !Or just ask someone ... it is practicly in front of you when you exit !

Best is (and majority of people) take bus from LCCT (your terminal) to KL Sentral Station! Which will cost you like around 3-4$ (one way) and an hour of time to arrive !
(same rules apply on return 3$-4$ ticket and round 1 hour)

*KL Sentral Station is like one of few hubs in KL where all MRT lines intersect ! So you can easily from there using MRT arrive anywhere ....

You will arive with bus in garage of KL Sentral Station !!!
To come inside, you need to take stairs UP ! (near where bus stops and park)
BUT .. since KL Sentral Station is mess (right now station is under construction and not all lines are connected on one place , you need to cross the street outside big building)
MRT line which (monorail) takes you nearest to embassy is like 100m air distance from there (bus stop)
so .. you are not going up to Central Station (unless you need toilet, ATM, KFC,MCDs, to eat or whatever...) but to go to MRT monorail (across the street)

Walk away out of the garage (follow people who are exiting) and on first dilema (where to go) ask people .. although signs are evrywhere for that MRT monorail line !
It is 2 min walk from garage ! Just around the corner !

You have maps of MRT .. and all is on english .. and people actually speaks english (like in Singapore) ... so it is easy ...
And MRT costs like 1-2-3$ depending how far is it ...

MRT line ... will take you to BUKIT BINTANG station (wich is nearest to embassy) and where you exit down to the streets !

And when you exit there ... (when you exit Bukit Bintang station) you can walk 20 min to embassy ! It is hot as hell on the streets of KL ... but doable .. but if you can not walk take taxi
I never did so I do not know the rates, but it should be really cheap since it is like block or two away ...(and if you are exosted but ok with $ can be saver ...)

In embassy you need to wear long pants etc .. bla bla .. a lot of indonesians are sitting everywhere around the enterance ... and taxi drivers (indos) are "hustling" .. with their crap ...
Inside embassy it is like bingo .. or lottery ... but sometimes I found it not so crowded ...

I was 3 times and every time there was different ticketing system (for waiting) .. so best is to ask .. where and what for to do for visa !
You have photocopy "warung" just outside embassy ! (but I advise to take double copies with you from home, all already prepared)

NEED:

- PASSPORT
- 2 PICTURES (do not need to be red background)
- ENTER TICKET
- EXIT TICKET
- APPLICATION FORM (take it in there)
- PHOTOCOPY OF PASSPORT (fron pages + page where is stamp that you entered malyasia)
- 170 ringgit (no other currency)

They was not asking me any additional questions or whatever ... Just how long you will stay .. and when you have flight !

And after that they give you paper and tell to come tomorrow from 15:00 till 17:00 !

When you finish with it (donot forget to have one photocopy of passport with you) you are free to go wherever you booked your acomodation for 1 night .. or wherever ...
Nearest is again that BUKIT BITANG mrt station (same way you came)

For acomodation ..and KL itself ... I did took Hostel near Bukit Bitng station .. (round 10$ night) you have a lot of them for 10-20$ (you can book online) ... In my hostel i found quite interesting ppl ... and if I was bored in livingroom watching TV and chatting ..
I would go out for a walk or a drink (since that area is in center of KL) but quite expensive at night ... (5-7$ a glass of beer)

Next day when you pick up passport .. it is the same way back !

EMBASSY--(15min walk/5 min taxi to)-->Bukit Bitnag MRT station--(15min MRT drive to)-->MRT KL Sentral Station--(3min walk to)-->BUS/garage--(1hour drive to)-->AIRPORT

here is the picture (they say picutre tells 1000 words)

Update! Please see additional requirements here
: https://balipod.com/forum/threads/a...sa-run-to-kuala-lumpur.9198/page-2#post-89296

kjoj1kto4yrkcgbagw.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

chippy

Jun 8, 2012
Sanur
Thanks Odez999 great post!! Am heading up in couple of weeks to do visa run, when you say entry and exit ticket is that to Malaysia or to Indonesia? Am wondering do they want to see an ongoing ticket to leave Indo again and can it be 5 months on and not 60 days?? Cheers..

odez999

Jul 4, 2011
Yes, you need exit ticket (exiting Indonesia) as well ... to be able to apply for visa ! (I needed)
I do NOT KNOW if it could be in 5 month period rather than 2 month (60 days), I have feeling it could pass (but I never tried !)

I was taking usually 20-30$ tickets from Pekanbaru or Medan to KL via Airasia .. or found any other 20$-30$ ticket ...
Or if there is no any ... you can buy Lion air ticket for like 50-60$ (to singapore or whatever) and I think you can cancell flight/refund 90% of your funds (my neighbour did on Lionair)

Mickey

Dec 7, 2010
Hi Odez999, great guide. thank you

i'm planing to pick up my KITAS for the first in Kuala Lumpur.
Do you know how many days do i need to pick it up and what wil be the cost involved.

We are a family of three so i would really prefer to do it through an agent or only me goes there

Thanks for the clarification

Smoke

Dec 3, 2011
Sanur
Going to do a holiday in Penang and a Visa run in KL in early Nov.. On the exit ticket can that be 170 days or must it be with in the 60

Thanks

spicyayam

Jan 12, 2009
Penang is a very nice place to visit, they also have an Indonesian consulate there if you want to apply for a visa. Less busy than KL. From Penang you can take a ferry to Lang Kawi which is also a great place - the whole island is duty free.

Smoke

Dec 3, 2011
Sanur
Penang is a very nice place to visit, they also have an Indonesian consulate there if you want to apply for a visa. Less busy than KL. From Penang you can take a ferry to Lang Kawi which is also a great place - the whole island is duty free.

Great idea on doing the visa in Penang ( friend calling to make sure of times) Lang Kawi looks great will try to fit it in also ,if not will definetly do it in 6 months

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Spicy do you know if it's possible to get the Retirement visa in Penang also? Any agents to recommend or is is strictly do it yourself?

spicyayam

Jan 12, 2009
I used a travel agent once in Georgetown to get a 60 day tourist visa, but I don't think they can do anything more than that. Most of the agents there work to get visas for Thailand. I got the social visa myself in Penang a couple of times and never had any trouble. There is a shop across the road that does passport photos, photocopies etc.

Smoke

Dec 3, 2011
Sanur
Update Visa done in Penang was easy as pie and fast
arrived Thursday 11 am took a queue number , started to fill he application and was called to the next processing agent .
She helped me fill out the form, checked my work and quickly glanced over my paperwork . Then I was informed to return Friday morning for my visa and to pay at the next window.
Next morning about 11 am i returned and asked what queueing ticket to get to pick up my visa.. told to take a seat and they will get my visa /passport.In and out in 5 minutes
across the street where the copy store is a perfect place to park also

I will be back there in 6 months again

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Can you ask next time about the retirement visa? Please also ask about cost. I have heard that some outlying Indo consulates only charge 1,000,000 for the retirement visa instead of the ridiculous 4 - 6 it costs here. Simply because they don't know how or want to rip us off.

davita

Mar 13, 2012
Markit...
The Retirement Visa (Kitas Lansia) can ONLY be done by a registered agent in Indonesia. They effectively are your sponsor. NO foreign based RI Embassy/Consul can issue a retirement visa. The visa is controlled by Jakarta Immigrasi and a telex is sent to the Embassy/Consul of your choice and you go there to collect the Itas. After arriving back to RI you submit that Itas, within one week, to be upped to a Kitas. It is also the same with the MERP...the agent HAS to do that....that's where the costs come in.

Thereafter, the Kitas can be issued without leaving Indonesia... I will pick up my 3rd at 11:00 am tomorrow at Immigrasi near Bali airport. And yes, total Rp7.5million is a rip-off...especially as I'm here making a contribution to the economy. I employ 2 permanent people, and many part time. I contribute to the Banjar and make numerous purchases from my imported foreign pension money.....but what to do?

Last edited:

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Sorry Davita you are absolutely correct. I got my wires twisted - what I meant to say was that I've heard of an Imagrazi at an outlying island IN INDONESIA that will do the job for 1 juta.

Again apologies for confusing the issue, as usual.