ertert

Jul 24, 2010
Tourist visa was not available to me in KL in May.
Tourist visa was 100% available in Bangkok in July.
I would have little to no confidence in getting a tourist
visa in KL. Maybe Email them? Who knows if they will respond? Visa rules change at the drop of a hat.

rudicantfail

Dec 3, 2014
Yeah, it definitely seems that way reading these forums!

Tickets and accom were unfortunately booked long ago, so will take my chances.

rudicantfail

Dec 3, 2014
Looks like I can get a sponsor letter for a Social Visa - only potential issue is that the letter is being emailed to me so the signature will be scanned and printed.

Does anyone know if this will be a problem?
Thanks

davita

Mar 13, 2012
In the past when I applied in Singapore for a muti-entry sosbud the signed sponsor letter was faxed from Jakarta to Singapore Embassy.
Just to be on the right side, if a fax machine is available, l'd send the emailed letter thru' the faxmachine...then no-one will know the fax copy was not from an original.

rudicantfail

Dec 3, 2014
Report from Indonesian Embassy in KL yesterday:

Despite having all required documents (sponsor docs, plane tickets in and out, financial statements etc.)
They refused my 60 day Social Visa application and could only offer me a 30 day Social Visa.

I refused to pay 170 ringit for 30 days when I can get a free VOA as an Australian and cancelled the application (although I just saw the new thread saying this free VOA hasn't kicked in yet. $35 is still cheaper).

Very disappointing! Singapore next time.

davita

Mar 13, 2012
Sorry to hear about your problem with KL.
Did they say why they were not willing to issue the normal 60 day sosbud and, even with the 30 day they offered, was it available to be extended?

Fred2

Oct 13, 2010
Surabaya/Australia
Report from Indonesian Embassy in KL yesterday:

Despite having all required documents (sponsor docs, plane tickets in and out, financial statements etc.)
They refused my 60 day Social Visa application and could only offer me a 30 day Social Visa.

I refused to pay 170 ringit for 30 days when I can get a free VOA as an Australian and cancelled the application (although I just saw the new thread saying this free VOA hasn't kicked in yet. $35 is still cheaper).

Very disappointing! Singapore next time.
YOU F@ck up on both accounts as KL has only been giving 30 day sobud visa for years, you can still extend it the same as a 60 day visa 180 days. Australia is not on the list of countries that get free VOA.

davita

Mar 13, 2012
YOU F@ck up on both accounts as KL has only been giving 30 day sobud visa for years, you can still extend it the same as a 60 day visa 180 days. Australia is not on the list of countries that get free VOA.

I don't know how many years you refer Fred2 but, until I got my Retirement Kitas, I've had numerous 60 day Sosbuds from the KL RI Embassy. I preferred going there as they did it (DIY) in one day...then they changed to only Malaysian applicants but, as I also have an MM2H visa, I was considered as same. Also, I found flights to/fro Jakarta, and decent hotels in KL, much cheaper than Singapore.

Australia was one of the 5 new countries the Indonesian Gov't. said would be VOA free from 1 Jan 2015. Apparently they forgot to tell Immigration as a I believe they still charge US$35.

rudicantfail

Dec 3, 2014
I didn't ask if it could be extended, but Fred's post would indicate that it can be.

Because I need to leave Bali after 60 days anyway to go to Singapore, the VOA visa is better for me - free or not (it was announced to be free by now, awaiting a signature I believe).

VOA - $35
Sosbud @ KL - 170 ringit $55+

Staying 60 days I think I made the right decision, my main reason for originally applying was to save me having to drive 2.5 hours to do extensions after 30 days.

davita

Mar 13, 2012
In your case I agree but, for future reference, you can get a tourist visa from the RI Embassy/Consul where you live without a sponsor and it lasts 60 days.....it isn't supposed to be extendable but I know many who have....in Bali. I believe, but should be double-checked....permit #212.

Edit: Just have my passport in front and can advise my last Sosbud was issued in KL Embassy on 23 FEB 2011, I had to submit my sponsor and his banking details, and was for 60 days extendable to 180 days ...permit #212.

Last edited:

Smoke

Dec 3, 2011
Sanur
I did a few sosbud runs to KL and penang ,I always got 60 days and the 4 extensions .maybe something new ?

rudicantfail

Dec 3, 2014
All recent reports in this thread indicate that KL will not issue 60 day tourist visas.

I emailed them asking - no response.
I called them about 50 times, the 2 times they answered they hung up on me - not sure why, but I am guessing it was when they realized I wasn't Indonesian.

Last edited:

davita

Mar 13, 2012
The general principle is that a Sosbud is issued for initially 60 days but it is up to RI Embassy abroad to modify at will, and for immigration within the country on arrival to accept.
If the general consensus is KL Embassy arbitrarily only issues 30 day Sosbuds then it is good to inform as many people as possible....to avoid this issue. The choice then becomes....go elsewhere for a longer visa or avoid Indonesia altogether. I believe Penang RI Consul still offers 60 day Sosbuds...extendable according to their rules.
I understood generally, unless there is a specific reason, only the Embassy/Consul in the country of the passport holder issues Tourist visas.

Zep66

Feb 27, 2014
Sitting in my hotel in KL wondering what went wrong.

Applied for a social visa with all the documents for my wife, daughter an self.
Went to pick up and was told it was rejected.

This is my third Sosbud application, first in August (Melbourne consulate) stayed till December. Singapore in January and decided to go to KL on a whim in March for 5 day(within 60 days).

The officer told me that as I had traveled too much I would need a letter from Jakarta that my sponsor will need to apply for.
Never heard of this letter.

Now looking at the prospect of VOA and pray that I don't get rejected at the airport.

KL seems to be tightening up.
I fly back tomorrow, if I get rejected at the airport for VOA, in in a bit of strife! Fingers crossed.

Zep (Long term lurker)

Rangi

May 23, 2011
Legian
Zep (Long term lurker)

Lurkers_5c87b9_2096972.jpg