ScorpioTiger

Hi Folks,

I am getting close to a deal to gain control of a property in Bali, and have a few questions that I'm yet to find answers to.

I'm looking to make the purchase of a Hak Milik title using a nominee. I'm looking to make an initial payment that will be around 90% of the agreed price, with a final payment some months later for the remaining amount.

1) When purchasing in instalments like this, is it usual to a) Have the notary keep signed copies of the contract of sale and the deed (sertipikat) until final payment when the name would be changed on the deed, taxes paid etc. or b) Have the deed changed upon the first payment, taxes paid etc, but have the deed held by the notary until final payment at which time the deed would be released?

2) Obviously with a nominee agreement, I'd like to be protecting myself without incurring too much additional cost. If my research is correct, I can do this by registering a mortgage over the title, by creating a Hak Pakai over the title, and by executing a power of attorney whereby I can act for the nominee in all matters related to the property. I believe creating a Hak Pakai over the Hak Milik is going to incur additional taxes of 10% of the NJOP value. Given the purpose of the Hak Milik, is it feasible to create and execute the documents, but not actually update the title immediately? In the event of a dispute in the future, the executed documents could then be used to add the Hak Pakai.

3) When performing the transfer of cash for a property transaction, to whose bank account should the transfer go to? To the notary's trust account (dodgy from what I hear of notaries in Indonesia), to the nominees account (less than happy with this option too), or to the sellers account (ie. the person whose name appears on the Hak Milik and has signed the sale contracts)?

4) I would like to have the land surveyed to ensure that I'm getting what I think I'd getting. I've heard that the land agency (BPN?) often does this when a sale takes place and updates the title if need be. Does this have to be requested by the notary? Should I be using an independent surveyor?

Thanks in advance. I've found BaliPod really helpful so far (with the exception of the search functionality which often doesn't find what you're looking for...sometimes Google works better..!).

Scorpio...

Hi Scorpio,

I can't answer all the questions, since I've not been involved with a nominee purchase, but my advice is as follows: First, it is a very good idea to get your own survey before you enter into the transaction. This is not expensive, but the price will depend on the size of the land. Second, with respect to an installment purchase, the notary should keep the sertipikat until the deal is done (ie, transferred to the name of your nominee). The name on the deed cannot be changed until the taxes are paid on the transaction. My advice regarding payment is to open your own bank account, transfer the money in, then personally pay the seller in cash (perhaps at the bank, for safety) whilst at the same time receiving a notaris prepared receipt signed by the seller proving payment (make sure it has the required government stamp, I think Rp6000.

Personally, I wouldn't pay 90% upfront. I would suggest maybe half on execution of the purchase and sale agreement and the balance when the sertipikat is in your nominees name, though all this is subject to negotiation, seller's demands, your deal stamina etc.

In any case, it doesn't sound like you've talked to a notaris yet, or if you have, they haven't been very helpful. You really should try to find a good one, as they will be able to guide you through the process.

In any case, it doesn't sound like you've talked to a notaris yet, or if you have, they haven't been very helpful. You really should try to find a good one, as they will be able to guide you through the process.

Thanks for the reply. The instalment bit is really for my benefit...just so I'm not cutting the cashflow too fine.

I have spoken to a notaris, but as you've suggested, they've been less than helpful. If you can recommend a notaris that can deal with property transactions in Mas, that would be most helpful. Regardless of how helpful a notaris might be, I'm inclined to try to confirm everything I'm told rather than take everything at face value. Sometimes, they might be ill-informed, lazy, or corrupt, so in this case knowledge is power.

I do not know if my oinion is useful but, only 6 months ago, we bought a hak milik property in Kerobokan. Our nominee is a WNI relative and we paid cash direct to the notary who is a qualified trustee. The place is new and sold by a builder/developer. We made a deposit and got a guarantee and then transferred offshore funds when greater confidence was gained. Subsequently, all bills have been paid and we live in the villa.
The notary dealt with all transactions and, so far, we have no problem and we have all documents including title, in our relative's name, in our safe custody. We also have a plate (IMB) attached to our wall which indicates that all laws are current.

Ive argued before about the absolute legal rights of Hak Milik propery and the attempt to circumvent constitutionsl agrarian law. I doubt if a bank will offer a mortgage and I disagree that contracts between nominees and foreigners are legal....but I may be wrong....I'd love to hear if such case work has ever entered court...

Our notaris is:
NJOMAN SUTJINING, SH.
Jl. Dewi Sri No. 18 Block A1, Kuta-Bali
Tel. (0361) 755118
Fax (0361) 752936

Last edited:
Where no complainant, no referee is needed.

These sorts of business deals are pretty common all through Asia - they are just as "scary" in Thailand, Sri Lanka, India, etc.

If you can't stand the heat, stay out of the kitchen.

Whatever model you use the only "must" is that you find a trustworthy nominee all the rest is window dressing.

ScorpioTiger, here are the details of a notaris firm for the Mas area we've been very happy with:

I Made Dwita
0361 971 688
0361 977 612
Jl Raya Goa Gajah No 9X
Peliatan, Ubud, 80571

ScorpioTiger, here are the details of a notaris firm for the Mas area we've been very happy with:

I Made Dwita
0361 971 688
0361 977 612
Jl Raya Goa Gajah No 9X
Peliatan, Ubud, 80571

Thanks...much appreciated. I think if I find a notary that has experience with property deals involving foreigners I might stand a fighting chance.

Trustworthy nominee.... we could talk all day about that and much has been written before in this hallowed forum.

Simply put - find a person that you trust and that is willing to help you.

There is NO PROTECTION, NONE! Forget the law, regulations, rules, etc. As I said above - it is all window dressing for those with weak sphincter control.

Indonesia is a relatively rule free area - that's why most of us love it. For those that feel protected by same there's always Singapore.

Agreed Markit.

A nominee shouldnt be somebody you pick out of nowhere, they should be somebody you know well (preferably for a number of years) and someone you have complete 'trust' in.

In regards to changing the title from Hak Milik to Hak Pakai. Wouldnt this remove any worry about the nominee due to the fact that the Hak Pakai Title would legally be in your own name?

Agreed Markit.

A nominee shouldnt be somebody you pick out of nowhere, they should be somebody you know well (preferably for a number of years) and someone you have complete 'trust' in.

In regards to changing the title from Hak Milik to Hak Pakai. Wouldnt this remove any worry about the nominee due to the fact that the Hak Pakai Title would legally be in your own name?

Put a Hak Sewa on top from day one, let your nominee sign it....

Back