ibis69

May 19, 2011
Hello,
And a big Happy New year to all,
My wife and I are looking at possibly rental a lovely villa/House (3x 2) with pool Hopefully in the next 6 Months but have a few questiosn to ask if I may:-

1) If we rent this to use as a holiday stay for ourselves is it risky and not wise to leave it empty when we are not staying in it? secured aprtments? maybe another option?
2) If we have staff to look after this again if its vacant when we are back in Australia apart from paying the staff wages would it be not wise to leave the staff to their own devices" so to speak", and what tasks would they do im sure your going to ask?
3)Can we let this out to friends and family when we are nto staying in this? is this classed as Sub-letting and frowned upon(regardless if we charge or not)? and what are some/all of the ramifications?

Sorry fi we need to look at other threads to answer our questions and also any recommendatiosn of peopel looking to let out houses/apartments for year Long rentals?
we are over in Late March..

Regards

ronb

Aug 14, 2007
Ubud, Bali
My quick answers would be:

* keeping a pembantu there while you are away is a good idea. For sure they get life easy when no-one is there, but they open it up each day, do some cleaning, laundry etc - so it keeps better than a closed up place

* having friends and family use it should be no problem at all

Mark

Apr 19, 2004
My quick answers would be:

* keeping a pembantu there while you are away is a good idea. For sure they get life easy when no-one is there, but they open it up each day, do some cleaning, laundry etc - so it keeps better than a closed up place

* having friends and family use it should be no problem at all

Completely agree with ronb's first point. Second one is a bit more tricky. Hopefully the place you rent has a permit allowing rental in the first place (if you're renting from an expat 'owner', as opposed to a Balinese, against whom laws are rarely enforced, you should check this out). Subletting is usually not allowed in the rental agreement, but having friends stay for free (or for a 'voluntary contribution' to your wine and cheese fund, for example) should not be a problem so long as the property owner is not overly inquisitive.

gilbert de jong

Jan 20, 2009
Panji, Singaraja.
how are you going to check and pay for electricity/water when you are not here ?
pay wage of housekeeper/pembantu/gardener/poolboy ?
just to name a few things that pop-up into my head..

may I ask how many months of that year are you actually going to be here on vacation?

ibis69

May 19, 2011
Cheers for the replies,,
First reply would be I most certainly would need and want to have a rental agreement in palce,who do I speak to about this?,do I get a middle -man(balinese term i Cant remember.)Notary?? secondly I would hope to be staying a minimum of at least 8 or 9 times a year(still working that one out hard to state a exact amount)as our whole idea for having this rental is so at ANY time we can fly over from Perth,some trips for 4 or 5 days,some for weeks,This would increase as well.
Gilbert you have raised some excelelnt questions?, My answer would be I suppose if we rented inside a secure compund(blocks of units/villas.) we would not need a pembantu/gardener etc, but would not be as Nice maybe?,would not be as private, as opposed to renting a stand-alone house/villa on its own block,your questions are still not answered, can the housekeeper/pembantu/gardener/pool boy be paid monthly into a account?, water Electricity can that be paid into same account and "HOPE" the STaff pay for this?
Another question would be if I have staff,would this also alleviate any problems with government checks/problems/make the palce "lived in",and probably make the place run smoother,

gilbert de jong

Jan 20, 2009
Panji, Singaraja.
a rental agreement is something you can do in a lot of ways, most common to my knowledge (in the north) is : contract signed by you + witness + owner who signs on top of a materai. You can also do the same, signing of contract/agreement at a notaris.
a Middle-man... do you mean "agen" or "perantara ? you do not need that, you already know the place you want to rent, right?

3 bedroom, 2 bathroom, with pool...trust me, you want a pembantu. preferably a pembantu who is already married, so her husband can take of the garden (not a fulltime job). It would also suck big time when you expect to take a refreshing dive in the pool after arriving from Perth, just to find out that the pool is green and full of leaves.
Personally would not advice putting too much trust in just hired help, or give her/him/them too much responsibilities like paying bills.

davita

Mar 13, 2012
I totally agree with gilbert.....get a trusty live-in or daily pembantu who can also act as manager in your absence. You also need to address security.

I live in a small quad of walled-in villas but we are the only ones permanent. The other three are owned by Jakarta people, hardly ever occupied, and only have casual help.
As gilbert implied.....all three pools are disasters. They are green and one so full of leaves that the pump overheated and has had expensive repairs. Another villa has overgrown trees that have damaged a water tank.
Stuff here grows so fast it needs almost daily attendance...we hire a student who earns pocket money to work in our very small garden/pool area in addition to our driver...it needs constant attention.
Our student was asked to help in another villa but refused when he saw the state...he said they need new landscaping. A similar situation with our pool guy...he took one look and walked away saying it was too much for him to fix.
btw all 4 villas are under two years old.

ibis69

May 19, 2011
Hello" my tracking down of a Villa is proceeding well,starting to get serious and negotiate? Is it true All yearly rentals can be negotiated on? Has anyone heard of paying by PayPal? Is it wise to rent off a Balinese direct and if so would it be wise .to drop in to ray white kits or something to get my rental agreement checked,,

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Ibis it's the same forum as you've already posted these questions on in another thread so if you are hoping for different answers then bless you for the idiot you seem to be.

Please send me all your money and I will contact you when your house is ready.

Promise!

davita

Mar 13, 2012
As markit said...you need to concentrate your questions on a thread which is appropriate, and not spread all over, otherwise, other contributors will not respect your questions properly and you will get disrespectful answers.

Anyway, Ray White is a realty company and their advice on legal matters is, perhaps, biased.

As advised on another thread you need to employ a Notary which, in Bali, is the authority to give legal advice on property ownership and leases etc.

Barekarma

Jan 8, 2012
Denpasar
Hi ibis,
Get your rental agreement checked by a qualified lawyer, rather than a commission based estate agent (who have been known to ask for 20% of the total rental for the 'service'). I would suggest that you look for a Notaris who has PPAT (they are the ones who deal with land transactions) for the AREA that you are renting, rather than someone like Ray White Kuta.
Also, be aware that many house owners expect the tenant to pay for all repairs, even the ones that the tenant could not possibly be aware of (like the need to replace the roof when it rains or rebuild a septic tank). We were advised to insist adding an extra Clause on the rental contract to cover such issues, and we are so glad we did. A serious drainage problem when the house was built only came to light 5 years after it was built, and because of that additional clause we did not have to pay the Rp. 20 million bill the contractors were looking for. Of course, the Balinese owner was able to negotiate a much smaller bill.
As for payments to local staff, we know one guy who opened an Indonesian Bank account to transfer money to staff on-line. He paid them when he got a date & time stamped photo of his villa, just to show that all was OK (although they mainly use that technique when something needed fixing. Before and after photos.) He also got to know his resident neighbours who also checked his place when he wasn't there. He returned the favour when he was in Bali and they were away.
Finally, make sure that the person you are renting from has the authority to rent the place. We have heard of people (in Ubud) coming back to their own home, to find another family living there.... their gardener's brother had 'rented it out for them'. The family living there had no idea.
There are some very simple rules. If it looks to good to be true, then it IS to good to be true. AND Re: Renting - Assume the worse, and cover that fear in the Contract Clause. You will sleep better.
Good luck

ibis69

May 19, 2011
Thanks very much for your response,Markit , A possibility you did not think of was I posted a new thread to get "Answers" as i assumed if i added to old thread it might not get answered and will disappear , again possibly wrong thing to do but hey we all learn from these things,and like in other thread and here thanks for your help Barekarma,

Normy

Jul 22, 2012
Perth, Sanur
Paypal would be ok if the recipient has a paypal account. If not they will have to provide bank account details. In my case having a paypal account in
Australia they pay out in $AU which may not acceptable by owner. Also as someone said fees for a 1 year rental would be high.

ibis69

May 19, 2011
Compared to balance transfers or cash advance ,relatively Low, compared to straight transfer high, etc etc,

cheers anyway Normy.