tintin

Sep 13, 2005
Boston, MA, USA
No worries Tintin, thanks for your opinion. I guess you'd know first hand what it takes to be an old fart, so i'll trust you on that one. If nothing else, I've still got plenty of time up my sleeve to be an old fart.

Anyways, I'll leave you to get back to your Lonely Planet guides and Google searches to Bali trivia up. Hope you can actually visit one day.

;)

You don't get it, Adam. Just re-read you own posts: you've become senile way before your time. As for a visit to Bali, I sure hope so also, as I've heard so much good stuff about this island. I've been saving for some time now, but with inflation running rampant, it looks more and more like I'll never make it: the airfares keep going up and up faster. Luckily, besides Lonely Planet, there are also some very good videos about Bali on YouTube, and don't sell balipod short, I'm learning some good stuff here also from people like you.

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
If you have to ask, you aint been there Gil. Be glad, very glad.

Tin tin if you get your tongue any further into you cheek you're gonna choke on it :disgust: and that would be sad cause I'm sure Bali is on your bucket list.

Last edited:

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Tin you are being cruel and unusual.

Kansas is wonderful if you like really, really flat country with only 2 crops - corn and wheat.

Dining out there is a treat too - ever have "Rocky Mountain Oysters"?

Yum! Bulls testicles.

I simplify, of course, but Kansas is about everything Bali aint. Oh, and vice-versa.

bjbjrowe

Apr 13, 2012
Kansas, USA
Markit, I've lived in Kansas for over 35 years and have never had Rocky Mountain Oysters - nor do I want to. And while Kansas may have corn and wheat, we have soybeans, sunflowers and the occasional tumbleweed.

And Kansas may have a lot of red-necks and yahoos but have you looked around Bali??????

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Went back to Seminyak this morning because I thought my comments of the first trip might have been a little jaundiced and ,to be fair, one shouldn't judge a place or anything on just one experience.

Got there about 8am and was pleasantly surprised that the terrible winds were gone and the awful smell of shite with them. The beach at low tide is huge and white and full of healthy people sweating their condition into shape. Some beautiful women, not enough, but better than sweaty men.

Felt like I was in Florida on Miami, Lauderdale or Pompeno Beach the only difference is the small happy brown people everywhere - come to think of it that's like Miami too - except the "happy" bit. Cubans are a miserable bunch unless drunk, then they're sentimental and miserable.

Ok the beach is allright but I still don't understand why if someone wants to go to Bali they choose Seminyak/Legian/Kuta. And it's not just the Ozzies out for a drunken weekend either.

I just love large breasted joggers and bowlegged swimmers. :icon_eek:

hinakos

Sep 3, 2008
Bali + Vietnam
I blame the low cost airlines for everything.

People buy packaged deals on a budget and this usually ties them into these places.

Most peole arent here for long and i dont think have the time or want to venture out.

I dont get it either.....coming all this way to sit on a beach (and pay for the privelege) with 1000 other peole also on holidays when there are far better beaches in most of these peoples country of origin escapes me. But its what they all seem to do.

I reckon its got a lot to do with people liking to have other people fussing over them (hair braiding,fingernail painting, slimy oil massages, people coming to them offering goods and services). seems to be what most of them talk about.

its not until their 3rd or 4th trip to bali that most of them consider dipping their toes in venturing out of the south.

better like that way anyway. what kind of escape are us southerners going to have when we get up to candi and further north and the fingernail painters and fake tattoists and hair braiders are all there?

C

CanonMan

You obviously haven't been to Candidasa recently?

I mean I saw Markit pounding the sidewalk up there recently looking like a very dodgy version of Bo Derek from the movie '10' with his hair (real and false) braided and sounding like some plastic wind chimes with the amount of beads he had dangling across his sweaty brow. Every now and again he'd shepherd the dayglow follicle accoutrements with a deft motion of his calloused fingers, holding the remaining rocks of Stilton between thumb and small finger which would, if the sun hit correctly, illuminate that most eloquent grammatical catastrophe of removable art gracing his wrist, 'Offishal Grumpy Cnut'

It's a changing island indeed! :icon_e_biggrin:

SHoggard

Nov 28, 2011
Singapore
@ hinakos:
Yup, but 'twas ever thus. Exactly the same happened to Spain in the '60/70 when cheap flights were pioneered - probably still is today - cheap Vino-collapso, British Fish&Chippies ('cos we Brits don't like eating foreign muck) - hankies on the head, trousers rolled up to the knees (before Bermudas were invented)... "Eh, the hols were great, well except for all the wops and Gerries they spoil the place!"

hinakos, yes Bali has become another mass-tourism market destination - been that way for years, it's just that the flights are cheaper and more frequent, so more average working-blokes can take the family abroad, its just become more noticeable.
In the past it was the surfers & hippies in Kuta &Ubud (respectively) and the rich folks in their tropical paradise estates in Seminyak etc. More or less they didn't mingle.
I remember my 1st holiday in Bali in '95, Kuta was so crowded & noisy that we hired a Suzuki Jimmy & drove to Ubud, Singeraja, Candi - its just more of the same.

But, hey ho, seems like Lombok is the next big destination.... cheaper too.... and now with the new airport, hey everybody will be comparing notes about that secret little bar or dirt cheap family-run losman !!!

JabberWokker

Nov 10, 2005
Bali
After 5 years on Bali I finally got over to Seminyak yesterday for my very first time (and last, I hope) .
I have a question. Are you from the UK and if so have you ever been on a holiday to Spain? If so tell use where, when and why?

Last edited:

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
I'm wondering if you really want to ask me "Are you from the UK and if so have you ever been on a holiday to Spain? If so tell use where, when and why?" or friend Shoggard?

I have been to Spain a number of times both business (expense account) and pleasure (Mallorca) loved it all but for the eating times. Spain is a grand place with lovely people and great climate. Mind you, I did steer well away from the "Costas". But as in Seminyak I'm glad they are there - to keep the riffraff away from the rest of us. :devilish:

JabberWokker

Nov 10, 2005
Bali
I was just curious to whether you did the typical Brit partying in Spain when you were younger. It's a bit similar to what the younger Oz do over here.

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
you're right there - my miss-spent youth was lost in a haze of drugs and sex - thank the gods and that in the US and UK. I'm trying re-coup my youth now - minus the drugs, course. Oh and sex, actually. Bought all that's left is the "haze" bit.