rexdu

Jul 5, 2010
Berawa, Canngu, from Australia
contact

Hi Blondie,
Also a newbie so not up to 10 posts yet!- if you are happy to supply the contact for the vodka delivery guy I would definitely be interested. A group of 10 of us (minus the kids :) are having a week of R&R in October as well!!
Thank you.

Vetski

May 13, 2010
Sydney
I have to say that bringing in more than your duty free allowance seems very dodgy and scary! I seem to recall handing over an additonal couple of bottles to customs last time I came through - should I have not surrendered it and offered to pay a "surcharge" ??

motormouth

Aug 29, 2009
Canggu
Vetski, just pay the rp100.000 for each bottle over the duty limit, hey, if your bottle costs $200 as one of my brothers' bottles of cognac did, then it is a bargain.Remember a shitty bottle of Oz wine that would cost $15 at home will set you back more than 4x that here, just bring it here.Don't listen to anyone that says it can't be done..it can

tintin

Sep 13, 2005
Boston, MA, USA
Last evening, on the French Channel TV5Monde, there was a program on Hatten Wines, his owner, I.B. Rai Budarsa, and one of his employees (I forgot his name). It prompted me look up Hatten's website and I am surprised at the choice of wines the winery now offers. I have not been in Bali for 2 years, and all I can remeber is the huge promotion of its rose, which tasted like a weak solution of vinegar, with a touch of cat piss. Just AWFUL. :icon_cry::icon_cry:

Rai's buddy, a bule, supposedly the guy in charge of the quality control, claimed that his big problem was to insure a consistancy in the COLORS of the different wines (?). Apparently, people complain if the color of a given wine changes from harvest to harvest. Now I understand why the rose (I haven't tasted the other wines) tasted like it did: he was not worried about the taste...:icon_biggrin:

However, the program showed Chef Saland, from Mozaic, raving about the Hatten's Pino. Chis was claiming it is as good as the French Pineau from Charentes. Has any one of you tasted it? What about the bubbly?

Also, I am curious about the average retail prices of Hatten wines. Could one of you guys (of gals) presently in Bali take a bit of time and post them? Thanks in advance.

ronb

Aug 14, 2007
Ubud, Bali
Hatten Aga White is currently Rp115,000 at Tip Top in Lovina (and they have cold bottles). In Hardies its over Rp130,000 I think. Today I wanted a white sparkling wine (that's their Tunjung) and went to Lovina Bakery which is never cheap but has cold bottles - and it was Rp270,000 - Ouch! I have not caught up with their Pino White and Pino Red yet - but will sure give it a try.

Over the 4-5 years I have been trying it, Hatten has improved a huge amount, and the quality control is getting better - but you can still be surprised by bottles that seem different.

PeteD

Oct 22, 2007
Indo
I tried Hatten a few years back, seemed to be OK, especially after drinking a few glasses you got used to it. I then put it to a taste test, compared it with an average Australian wine. Holy crap, the Hatten tasted like germ warfare. Ahhh! Maybe they have improved but I've never been game enough to try it again.

In Rumours restaurant on Oberoi Street they have some quite nice wine from Chile, only Rp250,000 or Rp275,000 a bottle. Easy to drink, nice flavour. I'm no wine expert, but I'm always happy with a bottle or two of that.

ronb

Aug 14, 2007
Ubud, Bali
Yes Hatten has been changing - try it again. It is a young industry with good equipment and they recruit wine-makers with some experience from places like Australia. The challenge to the wine-makers is working with grapes that are different. The wine can vary from bottle to bottle - occasionally there is a chemical flavour coming through. Then some variablility may be from how it is handled before you buy it. In restaurants they may keep half empty bottles too long. In shops the bottles can sit on shelves soaking the afternoon sun for weeks.

The imports at around Rp250,000 can be really good - I've seen S. American, S. African and Australian - and they can be really enjoyable. But every now and then I stop and think - that's AU$30 or more - just think of the choice you would have for that price in an Aussie wine-shop

hermit

Aug 19, 2010
Bona gianyar
[Hello there,
If you can send me an e-mail with contact data,i can give you the phone number of a guy that operates around Seminyak.I do not know how,but he offers wine and spirits far cheaper than in the shops.
The number was given to me by friens that own a villla in Seminyak,who regularly order from him.

hermit

Aug 19, 2010
Bona gianyar
[I can not send personal message,being new.If i understand well,you can find my e-mail somewhere.
(if it is to be found,why can i not write it here Bert?)

news4me

Aug 21, 2010
Wine is always a personal thing, but we do not like the white Hattan wine, but the Hattan rose is really nice.

scout

Jun 25, 2010
Ubud
Wine in bali

The best wine in Bali at the moment is the new Artisan Estate, used to be Wine of the Gods. Their Chardonnay is great, and has a better taste than Two islands, in my opinion.

It has been reported that dynamic Aussies are behind the new Artisan Estate wines. The winemaker has won awards in Western Australia which is where the juice is shipped from. 100% WA juice - no mixing with the local grapes. They have taken over the Wine of the Gods premises and have changed the name and are totally revamping the place. They only produce white wines at the moment, Classic White & Chardonnay but they are hoping to be expanding into red wine in the future.

You can buy the wine direct from their distribution office in Denpasar. Expats have to provide a passport number and locals their KTP. Price depends on how much you buy but it's much cheaper than buying in the bottle shops and much better quality. :icon_biggrin:

ronb

Aug 14, 2007
Ubud, Bali
You can buy the wine direct from their distribution office in Denpasar. Expats have to provide a passport number and locals their KTP.
Can you give the Denpasar address. I noticed recently that the Wine of the Gods place on the By-pass road (with the big bottle on the road side) now seems closed up.

zoyra

Jun 24, 2010
Bali
wine in bali

Will get the information and get back to everyone :icon_exclaim:

Oh, yes please. :icon_wink: Haven't found a decent white local one. The red is good, as long as you have time to let it breath first. One another topic of wine, I have the feeling that some of the restaurants here make their own wine. Had a glass of red one for 36,000 - very cheap, considering a bottle is 120,000 - and it wasn't a bad one. Or.. I haven't found the right wine shop:icon_sad:

scout

Jun 25, 2010
Ubud
Price list details from artisan

I cut and pasted this, so apologies for the format, but at least the info is there for all. Enjoy!!

Artisan
FINELY CRAFTED WINE
Grown in Australia – Proudly crafted in Bali
CV Dewa Anggur Sejati
Jl. Gunung Tangkuban Perahu No 108, Denpasar Bali.
Orders / Accounts Tel: (0361) 744 9925, 7450791
Fax: (+62 - 361) 425562
Email: [email protected]
WHOLESALE BALI PRICELIST
Code
Wine
Vintage
Size
Price per bottle
Discount:
Chd375ml
Artisan
Western Australian
Chardonnay
375ml
15%
Cls375ml
Wine of the Gods
Western Australian
Classic White
375ml
15%
Chd750ml
Artisan
Western Australian
Chardonnay
750ml
15%
Cls750ml
Wine of the Gods
Western Australian
Classic White
750ml
15%
First order will be COD thereafter on a 30 day account. No sales on consignment.
Free delivery in most parts of Bali.
Overdue account may result in delays in delivery.
Bank account details:
Account name : CV Dewa Anggur Sejati
Account number :145-000-525-6694
Branch : Mandiri Teuku Umar, Denpasar
For information on products and delivery
please contact :
Mr. Craig Newton – Marketing / Product information on 08123 822 125
Bapak Made Tobias James Suwindia – Marketing / Product information on 08123 986 161
Ibu Putu Armiasih – Accounting on 08123 856 528

Mr T Arif Bawah

Oct 10, 2010
Yes Johnny what is this DM biz?
I was going to reply to this one about a week ago with the "how to" bring in as much grog as you want. But my usual method has now been foiled as the guys manning the Xray machines are now within yelling distance of the baggage inspectors at the airport.
So only try this if you have the balls.
Last night my wife and I bought in 8 bottles of Red, 1 bottle of Grange, 2 1 liter bottles of Jack, a small bottle of Johnny - black label (for Johhny Cool) 1 bottle of Gin 1 bottle Jager and 1 bottle of vodka.
In previous missions we were able to bring in as much as possible (several dozen bottles of red at any given time)as the guys on the X machine outside would chalk a red cross on your luggage which i would wipe off with a damp cloth before going through inspection.
Now you have to "negotiate" your way if you get busted. My advice - keep a smile on your face - keep moving and tell the inspectors to have a nice day! No pay off required.
The question is, has anyone got any clues on how to avoid the 150 k corkage charge (on my 3rd smuggled bottle of shiraz)as I sit here in the Bluefin Jap restaurant in downtown Kuta without upsetting Putu the wonderful manager who serves the best Jap fine food!

Your wife do a bit of weight lifting on the sly?

I smuggled in - and yes, the term is "smuggled", 4 litres of Bombay Sapphire the other day, at my local airport I have a good relationship with the fine people of Bea cukai, and I make a point of heading to one I know (assuming on duty) and telling them that I am bringing in a bit more for my own consumption. I don't get an issue if I do this,

I'm puzzled though "several dozen" bottles of red? Really? and pray tell just how did you manage that? Despite the potential issues with duty, how did you physically move the stuff? I have long understand that Bali expats are in every way bigger and better than their mainland counterparts - but several dozen bottles of wine at one hit, and the planning to bring your own damp cloth in to wipe the chalk off - us mainland boys can't get close to that.

I carry a stick of white chalk and draw over the red cross, for some reason they stop me every time.............

Mr T Arif Bawah

Oct 10, 2010
I cut and pasted this, so apologies for the format, but at least the info is there for all. Enjoy!!

Artisan
FINELY CRAFTED WINE
Grown in Australia – Proudly crafted in Bali
CV Dewa Anggur Sejati
Jl. Gunung Tangkuban Perahu No 108, Denpasar Bali.
Orders / Accounts Tel: (0361) 744 9925, 7450791
Fax: (+62 - 361) 425562
Email: [email protected]
WHOLESALE BALI PRICELIST
Code
Wine
Vintage
Size
Price per bottle
Discount:
Chd375ml
Artisan
Western Australian
Chardonnay
375ml
15%
Cls375ml
Wine of the Gods
Western Australian
Classic White
375ml
15%
Chd750ml
Artisan
Western Australian
Chardonnay
750ml
15%
Cls750ml
Wine of the Gods
Western Australian
Classic White
750ml
15%
First order will be COD thereafter on a 30 day account. No sales on consignment.
Free delivery in most parts of Bali.
Overdue account may result in delays in delivery.
Bank account details:
Account name : CV Dewa Anggur Sejati
Account number :145-000-525-6694
Branch : Mandiri Teuku Umar, Denpasar
For information on products and delivery
please contact :
Mr. Craig Newton – Marketing / Product information on 08123 822 125
Bapak Made Tobias James Suwindia – Marketing / Product information on 08123 986 161
Ibu Putu Armiasih – Accounting on 08123 856 528

That's not bad, I do miss a family sized glass of shiraz now and again. Actually to be fair I have had a few bottles of hatton red and they haven't been too bad, certainly no worse than your average french wine. From your experience is there anything on that list around about 13.5% that can put hair on your chest? I wonder how they feel about carriage to Jawa? I bet there will be some reason why they can't.

I had considered bringing a tanker through in my hand carry, and use a bath towel to wipe the red chalk mark off, but figure the noise of the engine might give the game away.......

Problem where I am is to get people not to put sirop marjan in the red wine.

Mr T Arif Bawah

Oct 10, 2010
Vetski, just pay the rp100.000 for each bottle over the duty limit, hey, if your bottle costs $200 as one of my brothers' bottles of cognac did, then it is a bargain.Remember a shitty bottle of Oz wine that would cost $15 at home will set you back more than 4x that here, just bring it here.Don't listen to anyone that says it can't be done..it can

And what happens when they don't play ball and pour it down the pisser while you watch?

Don't answer, I know, you'll be bleating like Schappelle that you have been hard done by.

What happens when you bribe Aussie customs? They get quite anal over a packet of dried noodles....

Dr Naek K Atas

Oct 13, 2010
Arif, stop bleating, you'll get yourself banned.........

You know full well that you aren't allowed to drink in anycase.