Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Hi Andrew,
What I like about it is that there aren't many expats around so I'm not gonna tell you where it is....:icon_biggrin:

no.idea

Feb 22, 2011
Sanur
Hi Andrew,
I have a fridge full of cold beer. I like this very much. So I also am not going to tell you where it is...:icon_biggrin:

rayq

Jun 15, 2011
Very curious to hear where you live and what do you like about it? -AB

:icon_wink:Andrew, I have been staying in Seminyak for the last 3 months. It is OK, for me, but their are a lot of expats (from all over) that congregate here. I have been told that Sanur is 'quieter', but until I get my own transport I won;t be able to check it out.

For what it is worth, I recommend 'living' in area to see if it suits you, or else move along. But give each location, at least a few weeks.

Enjoy the search

matsaleh

Super Moderator
May 26, 2004
Legian, Bali
I'm in Kerobokan. I like it because it's far enough away from the "hell zone" as some friends call the Kuta/Legian area, but close enough to Seminyak that I can go to meet friends when I'm looking for company.

pollyanna

Feb 8, 2010
Ubud, Bali
We're living in a very small village near Sukawati, south of Ubud. We like it because the people are very friendly and kind. It has a distinct village atmosphere. It is quite beautiful. In 15 minutes I can be in Ubud and in less than 30 minutes I can be in Sanur.

ronb

Aug 14, 2007
Ubud, Bali
............... I have been told that Sanur is 'quieter', but until I get my own transport I won;t be able to check it out................

Rayq, you make it sound like a major journey - but Seminyak-Sanur its just 11 Km. So you could walk it, but the locals would think you're crazy. More acceptable in their eyes would be to get yourself transported on the back of a motorbike which shouldn't break the bank. Who knows, you may just fall in love with Sanur.

soontobeexpat

Dec 30, 2010
Perth, Australia
Rayq - Go rent a bike from Mutia Rentals on Jln. Oberoi I think it is its maybe 100 metres passed Red Carpet but on the left not the right. I rent a Vario (7000km on speedo) for 400k a month and can take it out of Bali whenever, I can swap it whenever.

His cars are also quite cheap I think as an Avanza is 150 a day to rent.. also can take it outside of bali no problems

I live In legian - Jln Padma Timur - so very very quiet you would forget you were in south.. However walk 100 metres towards the beach and you are very quickly reminded of where you live.

I like the central location but the ability for you to forget your here, I dont like that where I live feels like a brothel as we have 7 ladyboy prostitutes and 4 lady prostitutes..

Last edited:

odez999

Jul 4, 2011
400k/bulan is like 1.6 USD / day ! WTF !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! to rent a scooter !
Is this correct 100% ?

And people were telling me that Bali is quite expensive !
sorry for little offtopic :D

pollyanna

Feb 8, 2010
Ubud, Bali
We've just recently moved from Pengosekan in Ubud. We loved living on a street where all the residents are Balinese. We could easily walk to the Pengosekan "eat street". Everything in Ubud was readily available to us but there were no tourists near our home. We also love the laid-back atmosphere of Ubud compared with some other places.

soontobeexpat

Dec 30, 2010
Perth, Australia
400k/bulan is like 1.6 USD / day ! WTF !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! to rent a scooter !
Is this correct 100% ?

And people were telling me that Bali is quite expensive !
sorry for little offtopic :D

Bali is expensive, do not kid yourself because you have seen 1 price that is cheap. Electric is a massive cost compared to local wage as is petrol.

Yes it is correct, a Vario w/ insurance and 400 hundred a month and its a great motorbike. The guys name is Wayan at Mutia Rentals..

If your just short term you can rent from Edys Car Rental on Benesari for 20k a day w/ insurance - speak to Made

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
I can see that maths here is not a big deal - 400,000 IDR is actually $47.00 at today's rate... duuuuhh. Still so cheap?

matsaleh

Super Moderator
May 26, 2004
Legian, Bali
You're correct Markit, Rp400.000 is about US$47 per month which is about US$1.56 per day, so odez999's calculation is not so far off. (I'm assuming that odez999's "1.6 USD" means US$1.60)

People in glass houses and all that...??? :icon_wink:

alphonso

May 26, 2011
I can see that maths here is not a big deal - 400,000 IDR is actually $47.00 at today's rate... duuuuhh. Still so cheap?

Compared to Oz, that's about $44 per month and yes it's very very very cheap.

What's the going monthly rate then for a low kms scooter including insurance that is so much cheaper?

gilbert de jong

Jan 20, 2009
Panji, Singaraja.
not cheap - not expensive, just the normal price wich one would pay for a monthly scooty rental...
the amazing part is (imho) they give you the complete original STNK, so you can take it out of Bali...

odez999

Jul 4, 2011
Rayq - Go rent a bike from Mutia Rentals on Jln. Oberoi I think it is its maybe 100 metres passed Red Carpet but on the left not the right. I rent a Vario (7000km on speedo) for 400k a month and can take it out of Bali whenever, I can swap it whenever.

His cars are also quite cheap I think as an Avanza is 150 a day to rent.. also can take it outside of bali no problems

I live In legian - Jln Padma Timur - so very very quiet you would forget you were in south.. However walk 100 metres towards the beach and you are very quickly reminded of where you live.

I like the central location but the ability for you to forget your here, I dont like that where I live feels like a brothel as we have 7 ladyboy prostitutes and 4 lady prostitutes..

I tried to rent on Mutia Rentals but was told that monthly rental is 600k !!! :(
anyone know any other cheap monthly rentals wich include insurance ?

BTW ..
ATM I am in Gelogor Carik (In between Kuta and Denpasar) and I like that warung food is so cheap and affordable !

soontobeexpat

Dec 30, 2010
Perth, Australia
I tried to rent on Mutia Rentals but was told that monthly rental is 600k !!! :(
anyone know any other cheap monthly rentals wich include insurance ?

BTW ..
ATM I am in Gelogor Carik (In between Kuta and Denpasar) and I like that warung food is so cheap and affordable !

Did you speak to Wayan?? I wouldnt be so fanatical about insurance. You break or have the bike stolen and its likely you will have to just buy a new bike.

Go back to wayan and say people you know rent varios every month for 400,000 idr a month.. Bali is a nego island.. Im not too sure because I only ever used Wayan and as gilbert says it was great that I was able to take the bike out of Bali.. No body else has let me do that and one person who said we could go to Java with there car ended the conversation with Hati Hati This is Laskar car.. so Ive not tried that again.

The bike that is 600,00 IDR is the charcoal vario with under 2000kms on the clock.. its BRAND new

mugwump

Mar 15, 2011
seattle pekutatan
Original post.....where do you live and why?

My place is in Pekutatan in West Bali after living in Penestanan and Mas (near Ubud). Everyone has their own preferences, but I like being on the beach and away from heavy traffic and Balinese that have become a bit jaded with the proximity of so many tourists, as is sometimes the case in the South. Here the people are genuinely friendly, but not intrusive, costs are less, great scenery and cooler temperatures ( no AC in my bedroom). The downside is a 2 hour drive for provisions other than the basics. But even that is becoming more acceptable if your drives are timed to avoid heavy truck traffic, and the change of scenery more of an excursion. Good luck!:icon_biggrin::icon_biggrin:

odez999

Jul 4, 2011
Did you speak to Wayan?? I wouldnt be so fanatical about insurance. You break or have the bike stolen and its likely you will have to just buy a new bike.

Go back to wayan and say people you know rent varios every month for 400,000 idr a month.. Bali is a nego island.. Im not too sure because I only ever used Wayan and as gilbert says it was great that I was able to take the bike out of Bali.. No body else has let me do that and one person who said we could go to Java with there car ended the conversation with Hati Hati This is Laskar car.. so Ive not tried that again.

The bike that is 600,00 IDR is the charcoal vario with under 2000kms on the clock.. its BRAND new

Yes I spoke with wayan ! He said its 600k ! (probobly did not had any used one ATM) And I said that I was pointed to him by people who rented for 400k there .. but he smiled and said its 600k .. And I said what is the price on low season .. he said like 500k ! I said .. OK THX and left !
I know maybe he was renting at 400k before . .but he decided he could catch 600k these days I guess .. so he decided to go for that !

Later I found used Yamaha Mio for 500k in Legian and thats was it !

soontobeexpat

Dec 30, 2010
Perth, Australia

Yes I spoke with wayan ! He said its 600k ! (probobly did not had any used one ATM) And I said that I was pointed to him by people who rented for 400k there .. but he smiled and said its 600k .. And I said what is the price on low season .. he said like 500k ! I said .. OK THX and left !
I know maybe he was renting at 400k before . .but he decided he could catch 600k these days I guess .. so he decided to go for that !

Later I found used Yamaha Mio for 500k in Legian and thats was it !

Hmmm sounds like hes playing games with you.. He does still rent them at 400 so Im not sure why hes not doing it.. Maybe because your not local/have a local with you??? I have no idea! sorry