sawbones

Nov 1, 2009
Sorry this reply was written to the first page plagiarism and driving entry - didn't realize that it went on further, whoops.

And you know what I don't believe it! I think it's a made up story. Most of the beach guys I know are way used to people trying to rip them off and the supposed Balinese guy on the bike is more likely to get a knuckle sandwich than any money:icon_wink:

Driving here is a pain, no doubt about it but it's no worse than Italy or Eastern Europe. I have been in several accidents here myself and find that I can usually say "hand on heart" I was to blame in 1 which I promptly paid for (400K rear bumper) and everyone went away smiles. And the others where I've known exactly who was at fault because they ran into my car in the rear or overtook without seeing my turn light.

Both times I didn't act like I was sorry or trying to placate them cause I was fecking mad and showed it - apart from the guilt I don't want to be part of wiping out 3 generations of rice farmers all on the same motorbike so they should fecking learn how to drive and then we will get on - if I have to part of the learning process, then so be it! They didn't like it but the gathered locals seemed to agree - least I wasn't lynched.

There seems to be an extreme resistance to the learning process, especially when it comes to overtaking and passing four wheeled vehicles during glaringly obvious left and right turns. I've read that three scooter riders a day get to meet their maker or maker's here in Bali. If this is true, that's actually a national disaster almost on par with tsunamis and volcanoes, 1,095 people on average per year, probably plus or minus 20 or so.
On Forbes.com Bali failed to make the top 35 romantic getaways list, it's tough to foster romance walking single file down the sidewalk dodging traffic, instead of walking hand in hand together, or running from rabid dogs on the beach, instead of playfully chasing each other.

Bones

jaffa

Jan 15, 2009
Seminyak, Bali
Ok I know this might sound silly, but I know people move/ retire in Bali because they love it, I am curious to know what things people find hard or don't like? I figure one might be the change in diet/ foods available for some? What are others?

Without a doubt ...........CORRUPTION, oh and the Balinese way of making things far more complicated than they are in order to justify more money (corruption again)......

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
I've read that three scooter riders a day get to meet their maker or maker's here in Bali. If this is true, that's actually a national disaster almost on par with tsunamis and volcanoes, 1,095 people on average per year, probably plus or minus 20 or so.

Bones

That's not a national disaster, that's Darwinism alive and living in Bali. Hell in a thousand years Bali will have the best driver in the world. Of course it's kinda sad for the countless generations that have gone to the happy freeway in the sky but nature is cruel:icon_cry:

sawbones

Nov 1, 2009
That's not a national disaster, that's Darwinism alive and living in Bali. Hell in a thousand years Bali will have the best driver in the world. Of course it's kinda sad for the countless generations that have gone to the happy freeway in the sky but nature is cruel:icon_cry:

Holy Schnikeys!

If Darwinism is your own personal rationalization, they could possibly become extinct before developing adequate driving skills. This is an interesting train of thought.

Bones