Sally1

Jun 8, 2013
The owner is 30 years old so hopefully he will make it 55! Unfortunately the Westerners you mentioned did not prevent the owners or their children from taking a mortgage on the land. My lease has terms that disallow these outcomes.

samsiam

Feb 2, 2014
Do you know that some officials are corrupt and assist in these matters ?

As for basing land purchase on rice commodity prices.....where did they go wrong then on land selling for circa $80k per are in various areas ?

Wish you all the best with this obviously Sally.....just do not place to much faith in options, extensions and the system....anywhere in Asia.

no.idea

Feb 22, 2011
Sanur
Okay Sally thank you for your great knowledge on this subject. If you have some spare time could you contact the Hyatt Group and advise them how to secure the beach front land they have in Sanur. This multi billion dollar company that employs full time lawyers can not manage to swing the same deal that you have done.

samsiam

Feb 2, 2014
I was thinking to adopt an Indonesian child and wondering if we could own land then....as family like.

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Okay Sally thank you for your great knowledge on this subject. If you have some spare time could you contact the Hyatt Group and advise them how to secure the beach front land they have in Sanur. This multi billion dollar company that employs full time lawyers can not manage to swing the same deal that you have done.

Don't you just love these people that come here with their, "I'm from the first world and know my corporate hierarchies, international law and have enormous experience in all things legal. So watch-the-fuck-out for me Asia!" ?

Guys and girls, listen to Unkies Markit and No.idea - Forget that shit SOONEST!

You can't own land here FULL STOP. You can OWN THE FECKER THAT OWNS YOUR LAND but that's as good as it gets. Now that happens either through marriage or your studied good choice of a good business partner.

Marriage you can figure out yourself but as to the business partner: find someone of upstanding character that is respected in his (Yes, HIS ONLY) community and a local business man with a good name to keep and a family to feed. Make sure to keep your distance - he aint your "buddy" and never should be!

Keep him paid - Goldilocks principle - not to much and not too little, that will depend upon what you have him doing for you. Keep in regular touch with him so you know how he's doing and if there are any catastrophes on the horizon (debts coming due, papa needs cremating, wife running off, etc.) but don't, ever hire him to work for you, ever!

Support his kids through school - make friends with them, for sure, just don't get too "touchy, feely" with your partner. If you hear yourself saying "My Made (Ketut, Wayan, Nyoman, etc)" or he borrows your car you are already fucked. Sell and leave the county, SOONEST!

Don't buy him anything or partner him in business - you already bought him a villa and are partners in that - any more and you will only get into trouble or piss him off - don't do that! If you do, sell and leave the country.

Leaseholds are cancelled upon the death of the lease holder (YOU!) Just imagine how attractive the prospect of your demise will become to someone in financial straights? People here aren't renowned for their conscientious or considered logical reasoning. They tend to act in the heat of the moment and regret it later - don't be a reason for that regret because it probably won't do you much good when you are looking at the rice plants from underneath.

But what do I know?

Smoke

Dec 3, 2011
Sanur
[MENTION=1532]Markit[/MENTION] dam I need to sell and leave the country 4 times atleast :icon_eek:

But I do understand your points .Hope others can learn from your knowledge

Joe Writeson

Jul 30, 2013
Indonesia
Wouldn't that be "lower limits" being shallowness and all?:icon_cool:

Hmmm thinking ... if the 'shallowness' has no lower limits then it can be quite deep and not imply 'callowness' and 'without thought' whereas if there are 'no upper limits' applied to 'shallowness' then it implies that the description is not profound at all.

Anyway, I think the implications of 'thinking of adopting an Indonesian' child for financial purposes says it all ...