sakumabali

Apr 2, 2010
:icon_e_sad:

Bali Post---Pengemban Pengamal Pancasila

6 people died yesterday and a dozen injured just because a truck suddenly couldn´t brake...

The lunatic truck driver hit cars, motorbike, shops...

When the indonesian government will start to check all those stinking, overloaded & broken trucks and cars????? people dying just because some businessmen want to double their profit (and probably bribe the right officials)

Sorry but this really SUCKS!!!!!!!!

sjb1983

Sep 17, 2010
"the lunatic driver" - I don't think that's fair - he is paid to do a job for next to no money, overloading a truck is something he probably doesn't understand the danger of (due to poor education) and the police don't do anything to stop from doing this sort of thing on a daily basis on the Bukit. He is merely a part of a much bigger problem in Indonesia; almost completely unregulated traffic & roads.

sakumabali

Apr 2, 2010
That guy was driving too fast - killed people & destroyed houses and you´ve a problem with the word lunatic? Good for you and me that we weren´t there at that time...

Bali News: 6 Dead in Bali Truck Mishap

Preliminary investigations by police suggest that a heavily loaded sand truck descending down the steep hill near the Garuda Wisnu Kencana (GWK) lost control careening into motorcycles, cars, pedestrians and road-side shops. According to Bali Post, initial suspicions that the truck had "blown" its brakes were discounted by a technician from Nissan the company that manufactured to the truck. Enforcing this viewpoint, Bima Arya Viyasa of the Bali Traffic Police said that it did not appear the brakes were to blame with the more like villain being human error.

Police have inspected the braking system of the truck and found it to still be intact.

Police now believe that the driver of the truck, Ali Mastur, who died in the accident panicked as he struck three motorcyclists, increasingly losing control of the truck as it plummeted down the steep hill. "The driver eventually made a hard turn to the right, causing the horrific crash

That guy was driving too fast - killed people & destroyed houses and you´ve a problem with the word lunatic? Good for you and me that we weren´t there at that time...

Bali News: 6 Dead in Bali Truck Mishap

A good proportion of problems relating to driving techniques in any type of vehicle is the purchasing of driving licenses without tests.

For locals its about 270 k for a five year license

for the bulls its well negotiable and although i have done it for a few years have opted for international driving license from 2011 onwards.

sakumabali

Apr 2, 2010
That´s so true, when my wife got her driving "permit" in 2006 she couldn´t barely drive at all, I had to teach her how to drive and how to PARK (looks like "parking" is not a part of the training LOL)...now she´s driving better than me :icon_e_confused: maybe that´s why all those people driving in the middle of two lanes, they just feel safer there cause they can´t drive!

Last edited:

mat

Dec 18, 2008
Singaraja
That´s so true, when my wife got her driving "permit" in 2006 she couldn´t barely drive at all, I had to teach her how to drive and how to PARK (looks like "parking" is not a part of the training LOL)...now she´s driving better than me :icon_e_confused: maybe that´s why all those people driving in the middle of two lanes, they just feel safer there cause they can´t drive!

I paid for 30 lessons for my wife, they did not even do reverse! 2 accidents later, I suppose i will have to be the unwilling instructer.
and yes parking is not on her list of skills.

pollyanna

Feb 8, 2010
Ubud, Bali
I paid for 30 lessons for my wife, they did not even do reverse! 2 accidents later, I suppose i will have to be the unwilling instructer.
and yes parking is not on her list of skills.

As a bule in Bali I was petrified to drive out of the garage the first time behind the wheel. I couldn't even drive the car I'd paid all that money for home from Denpasar! Drove all the way to Sanur last week for the first time and still don't want to drive in Denpasar.
Now I'm relaxed behind the wheel but still don't consider myself as good a driver here as I was in Oz. Many of the Balinese may not be good drivers but I envy their amazing spatial sense. My little Jazz still feels the size of a semi.

LATAH

Oct 12, 2010
As a bule in Bali I was petrified to drive out of the garage the first time behind the wheel. I couldn't even drive the car I'd paid all that money for home from Denpasar! Drove all the way to Sanur last week for the first time and still don't want to drive in Denpasar.
Now I'm relaxed behind the wheel but still don't consider myself as good a driver here as I was in Oz. Many of the Balinese may not be good drivers but I envy their amazing spatial sense. My little Jazz still feels the size of a semi.

Hi Pollyana. I only just got your message but couldn't reply because I don't have enough posts...or something like that. I realise this isn't the place for it but... I wanted to take a moment to thank you for your welcome. Have fun zipping around in your Jazz...I'm sure one day in not so distant future you'll suddenly realise you haven't been giving driving any thought at all, and wonder when the transition happened.