Rangi

May 23, 2011
Legian
Swathes of trash on the beaches and streets of Bali after the island wide Melasti and Nyepi celebrations has caused concern for many, with many beaches affected.

Amongst the detritus perhaps the most visible are remains of the ogoh-ogoh (large hand-made monsters made for the Nyepi ritual) that have been discarded in numerous places after the pangerupukan ceremonies on Monday night before Nyepi day.

“After the ogoh-ogoh processions during pangerupukan, there are still the remains of creepy giant monsters everywhere. Though many were burned, not everything is finished,” stated Made Suci, a resident of Bekul Banjar, in East Denpasar.

According to Made, the ogoh-ogoh costs are quite high, because the ingredients used are stereoform, fabric, paint and other supplies.

Trash after Nyepi | The Beat Daily Bali

What a disgrace by the Balinese

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Guys and girls if you don't like the mess go and fucking clear some of it up!

It makes a difference to the local's point of view if they see us Bule cleaning up after them.

Maybe not the first time or the second time. Perhaps not the 5th time but when they see us (like it or not westerners are a source of "hero" worship here) cleaning up there shite it matters and works.

I go swimming on the beaches here all the time and when I'm wending my tired way back along the sand I just pick up all the plastic shit I can carry and bring it to the next beach warung along the way.

They are always grateful for me doing it and I get no end of beautiful brown girls along the way thanking me too. Well occasionally, one or two... :O)

bjbjrowe

Apr 13, 2012
Kansas, USA
But what do you do with the trash you pick up if there's not a beach warung along the way? I had a problem finding trash cans in Bali. Even in my son-in-law's family home (Balinese), I would have something to "throw away" and could never find a trash can. And do you really think that they are grateful for picking up the trash? Do they even see it? I was surprised to go to beautiful temples and then see a huge pile of trash along side it. Or you see those areas along the streets that look like big dumpsters but they are always overflowing. Do they ever get cleaned out? One day while traveling from Pemuteran to Denpasar, I was shocked to see my son-in-law's mother just casually throw water bottles out the car window while traveling. My daughter (American) claims that one reason they are so casual with throwing their trash anywhere is because everything used to be wrapped in banana leaves and these just composted. Now that everything is plastic, they just treat it the same way but unfortunately, plastic doesn't compost. Yes, Bali does have a huge trash problem and my fingers itch to pick up trash when I'm there, but then I don't know what to do with it....

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Amongst the trash that is lying around is always a plastic bag - I use that to put the other trash in.

About the casual disposal of stuff out the window I've been amazed at that too and have started telling them not to. When I see they have something headed for the window I take it and say I will throw it away - it usually causes embarrassment (I'm not completely sure why, it's either for me or them?). I've subsequently found them trying to "sneak" stuff out the window - they know it's wrong but can't stop, I guess.

"They" aren't grateful for me picking up the trash but many individuals are - they thank me so it must be working it's way into the collective consciousness somehow.