balibob

Aug 14, 2010
Ubud, Bali
This is Pollyanna writing from my husband's account because I can't remember my user name and password combination. I'll be off the air for a while. My locked car was broken into, window bashed, and my computer stolen. So ... until the thiefs are nabbed and my goods recovered or until I give up and buy a new computer I am going to be missing my daily BaliPod chats. "See" you as soon as I am reconnected to the world.
And if you hear of an unbelievable Apple MacBook Power PC that fell off the back of a truck please notify the Ubud police.

spicyayam

Jan 12, 2009
Sorry to hear. You could try checking the pawn shops to see if turns up. Slim chance, but you never know.

mobilemama

Jul 25, 2010
jimbaran
car theft

We were told by our indonesian friends never to leave anything on disply in our car, especially around ramadam as thieves become desperate and its an easy target for them. Not only moslems. Balinese will steal as well if they want, we have taken this advice on board and never leave anything in our car, unless in security parking.

Sorry about your loss, forget getting it back, its gone get yourself another laptop and talk to us again soon.
Can you claim on insurance. probably not, but some travel insurance may cover it.

balibob

Aug 14, 2010
Ubud, Bali
We were told by our indonesian friends never to leave anything on disply in our car, especially around ramadam as thieves become desperate and its an easy target for them. Not only moslems. Balinese will steal as well if they want, we have taken this advice on board and never leave anything in our car, unless in security parking.

Sorry about your loss, forget getting it back, its gone get yourself another laptop and talk to us again soon.
Can you claim on insurance. probably not, but some travel insurance may cover it.

Mobilemama, I don't know yet about whether our car insurance covers the contents but I'll find out. And, of course, you're right about leaving things visible. My big mistake. And since this happened I've heard from others that crime goes up during Ramadan.

@Spicy, i didn't even know we had pawn shops in Bali so I will check that out also. I very much would like to have the contents of my computer back.

@Hermit, can you please send a PM with your email address. I cannot respond to PMs with this user name since Bob hasn't sent out enough messages. I talk enough for the two of us.:icon_wink:

zoyra

Jun 24, 2010
Bali
This is Pollyanna writing from my husband's account because I can't remember my user name and password combination. I'll be off the air for a while. My locked car was broken into, window bashed, and my computer stolen. So ... until the thiefs are nabbed and my goods recovered or until I give up and buy a new computer I am going to be missing my daily BaliPod chats. "See" you as soon as I am reconnected to the world.
And if you hear of an unbelievable Apple MacBook Power PC that fell off the back of a truck please notify the Ubud police.

Oh, Polyanna, I am so sorry to hear this. Re: pawn shops - there are several 'penggadaian' in this area. I'm not sure how it works though - it looks like a government institution, so I am assuming that a thief won't bring their goods there..
Thanks for sharing, this is a wake-up call for all of us. Hope you'll be online again soon.

ronb

Aug 14, 2007
Ubud, Bali
Hey Pollyanna, that's really bad luck - hope you get it sorted soon. But you say:
......................I can't remember my user name and password combination. I

Am I missing something - but the user name is pollyanna is it not? So it is only the passwoprd you are stuck for. If you try logging in and get the password wrong - then you get a page that says click "here" if you have forgotten your password. Then it wants your email address. I didn't follow the process any further - but I think it will allow you to reset the password. Then you would be back with the name we all know.

spicyayam

Jan 12, 2009
You can reset your password here: https://balipod.com/forum/lost-password/

You are probably right about the penggadaian shops, maybe there are some other second hand dealer shops that you could try.

A couple of weeks ago a man robbed the penggadaian shop in the Singaraja Hardy's and he killed the worker there. The police caught him soon after because he took a phone he stole to a second hand dealer and the second hand dealer recognized the owner of the phone from the pictures stored in it.

pollyanna

Feb 8, 2010
Ubud, Bali
Am I missing something - but the user name is pollyanna is it not? So it is only the passwoprd you are stuck for. If you try logging in and get the password wrong - then you get a page that says click "here" if you have forgotten your password. Then it wants your email address. I didn't follow the process any further - but I think it will allow you to reset the password. Then you would be back with the name we all know.

Ron, I'm thicker than a Texas t-bone steak. You're not the one missing something. I am. And its called brains. Yes, you're right. The user name is pollyanna and from there I could guess the password. Now I'm back on BaliPod as me. And I thank eveyone for your very good ideas. We'll start going around to the second-hand goods dealers tomorrow.

spicyayam

Jan 12, 2009
When I lost my laptop I lost some stuff I was working on at the time. That was worse than having to buy a new laptop. I am now using a service called Syncplicity which can automatically synchronize and back up your selected folders to the internet. The first 2GB of storage is free. So far, it seems like a great service.

pollyanna

Feb 8, 2010
Ubud, Bali
When I lost my laptop I lost some stuff I was working on at the time. That was worse than having to buy a new laptop. I am now using a service called Syncplicity which can automatically synchronize and back up your selected folders to the internet. The first 2GB of storage is free. So far, it seems like a great service.

Spicy, I took the Syncplicity tour and it looks like a great service for anyone using the Windows platform. Something like that would have saved me a lot of anguish.

Canggu

Aug 25, 2010
My sympathies, Pollyanna - I've just been through similar in Thailand. It's a total pain in the ...
Fortunately, my A$4500 worth of SLR body and lenses wasn't in a car, so my travel insurance just came through. A brief shout-out to HBF in Western Australia - as it was a painless claim process and I received immediate payment. I was expecting it was going to be exactly the opposite. 'Canggu'