soontobeexpat

Dec 30, 2010
Perth, Australia
Okay so in advance I apologise because Im sure out of the 200 pages on this forum 150 pages are probably full of the exact same question.

Im 22, Im moving to Bali I have an unusual commitment that makes me want to live there aswell as I just love the place and spend too much money and heartbreak coming back home and going back again!

We were out drinking one night and apparently I drank too much because all of the information has been syphened out of my head!!

I am wanting to come to Indonesia for roughly 12 months, I am wanting the extendable 60 day visa that can be done upto 4 times I believe without having to fly out of the country. I dont know how to get this Visa, what it is called nothing. All of my Indonesian friends are saying just get a POA Visa and extend it. These Visas I believe are non extendable?

I have tried the consulate for help & all my Indonesian friends and no one seems to be that helpful.

Thanks so much!

BKT

Apr 2, 2010
Auckland/Singaraja
Its called a Social Visa or Social Budaya.

You don't have to fly home to extend your stay in Bali, flying in and out of Singapore in a day for less than $100 is a cheaper option.

soontobeexpat

Dec 30, 2010
Perth, Australia
So how do I go about getting this Visa? Do I get a 28 day from the consulate in AUS first fly there and extend it or do I get a POA Visa and extend it? I really don't want to be flying every month or 2 just to extend a visa that's all. I have called the consulate and they were no help at all.. He told me hed get the information and never answered his phone again?

matsaleh

Super Moderator
May 26, 2004
Legian, Bali
So how do I go about getting this Visa? Do I get a 28 day from the consulate in AUS first fly there and extend it or do I get a POA Visa and extend it? I really don't want to be flying every month or 2 just to extend a visa that's all. I have called the consulate and they were no help at all.. He told me hed get the information and never answered his phone again?
Go to the Indonesian Consulate in your own city and apply for a Sosial Budaya. This visa is valid for 60 days and can then be extended monthly, up to 4 extensions (totaling 6 months in all). You can apply for the extensions yourself directly with immigration or use a visa agent to do the extensions.

To apply for the initial Sosial Budaya you will need a sponsor letter from an Indonesian citizen and a copy of their KTP (ID card). If you read a previous thread on this subject, there are couple of samples of sponsorship letters.

Depending on the Consulate, they may also want to see a return flight ticket or a ticket out of the country. Previously, I applied in Sydney and a return ticket was not required, but I've heard that in other states it is a requirement.

At the end of 6 months, or 180 days to be precise, you will need to leave the country to apply for a new Sosial Budaya. The quickest and easiest way to do this is to fly to Singapore and use an agent who can provide you with a new Sosial Budaya on the same day. There are a couple of agents in Singapore who can do this for you.

Last edited by a moderator:

soontobeexpat

Dec 30, 2010
Perth, Australia
Go to the Indonesian Consulate in your own city and apply for a Sosial Budaya. This visa is valid for 60 days and can then be extended monthly, up to 4 extensions (totaling 6 months in all). You can apply for the extensions yourself directly with immigration or use a visa agent to do the extensions.

To apply for the initial Sosial Budaya you will need a sponsor letter from an Indonesian citizen and a copy of their KTP (ID card). If you read a previous thread on this subject, there are couple of samples of sponsorship letters.

Depending on the Consulate, they may also want to see a return flight ticket or a ticket out of the country. Previously, I applied in Sydney and a return ticket was not required, but I've heard that in other states it is a requirement.

At the end of 6 months, or 180 days to be precise, you will need to leave the country to apply for a new Sosial Budaya. The quickest and easiest way to do this is to fly to Singapore and use an agent who can provide you with a new Sosial Budaya on the same day. There are a couple of agents in Singapore who can do this for you.

Thanks so much!!! Do I need to get the original from the sponsor? This seems so difficult :(

Last edited by a moderator:

matsaleh

Super Moderator
May 26, 2004
Legian, Bali
Thanks so much for your help.. its all seeming just a little bit easier now.. Can my sponsor have me removed from the country like Australia?
Technically, it's possible for the sponsor to rescind their sponsorship, but they would have to give a good reason for doing so. For example, if you were involved in criminal activity.

You would then need to find another sponsor (if possible), or Department of Immigration could deport you. Saying this, I've never heard of it happening here.

soontobeexpat

Dec 30, 2010
Perth, Australia
Technically, it's possible for the sponsor to rescind their sponsorship, but they would have to give a good reason for doing so. For example, if you were involved in criminal activity.

You would then need to find another sponsor (if possible), or Department of Immigration could deport you. Saying this, I've never heard of it happening here.

Cool as! You are so helpful.. if only you worked at the consulate!

soontobeexpat

Dec 30, 2010
Perth, Australia
What do you mean exactly?

In Australia, if you were to sponsor somebodies VISA I guess you can revoke your sponsorship and they are deported immediately.

Im getting my boyfriend to sponsor me going up, we have been together a while but holidaying in bali every month compared to living there will obviously change the dynamics of the relationship - good or bad. I just want to make sure if things were to go bad he couldnt just revoke his sponsorship and have me deported. I dont think he would do that but when your happy together you dont think anything bad do you?

spicyayam

Jan 12, 2009
I can't answer your question, but I imagine it's not so easy for your sponsor to get you deported unless you broke the law or something. I believe you can change your sponsor so that is a possibility if something goes wrong with your relationship.

ScaBa

Jan 4, 2011
60 day visitors visa

Hey, thanks for this.

I have the 60 day visitors visa I got in Los Angeles before arriving here in Bali. So do you mean I can renew it WITH NO SPONSORSHIP for 4 more months on a monthly basis? Then after the 6 months I’d need to get a sponsor, correct? Or do I need a sponsor for the additional 4 months?

Where do I go to renew it, just the office at Denpasar or Kuta? Or is it still better to have an agent do it?

Thanks so much!!!

mat

Dec 18, 2008
Singaraja
Hey, thanks for this.

I have the 60 day visitors visa I got in Los Angeles before arriving here in Bali. So do you mean I can renew it WITH NO SPONSORSHIP for 4 more months on a monthly basis? Then after the 6 months I’d need to get a sponsor, correct? Or do I need a sponsor for the additional 4 months?

Where do I go to renew it, just the office at Denpasar or Kuta? Or is it still better to have an agent do it?

Thanks so much!!!

You need a sponsor to renew in Bali, otherwise you have to leave the country. Getting a sponsor is easy any agent will help you, or make friends here and get one of them to sponsor you. All you need is a copy of an identity card and possibly a letter of invitation.

Fred2

Oct 13, 2010
Surabaya/Australia
Hey, thanks for this.

Thanks so much!!!
There is a difference between a 60 day visit visa you can not extend & 211 sobud visa that you can extend up to 180 days, you need to check which visa they have given you. Soontobeexpat you can change sponser without leaving the country if things don't work out.

soontobeexpat

Dec 30, 2010
Perth, Australia
There is a difference between a 60 day visit visa you can not extend & 211 sobud visa that you can extend up to 180 days, you need to check which visa they have given you. Soontobeexpat you can change sponser without leaving the country if things don't work out.

Thanks so much.. On another one.. How do you go about a bike license? I would rather get one and minimise the about of paying off I need to do.. Can any forigner just go get a local license? Im not going to do Int Driving License..

Fred2

Oct 13, 2010
Surabaya/Australia
Thanks so much.. On another one.. How do you go about a bike license? I would rather get one and minimise the about of paying off I need to do.. Can any forigner just go get a local license? Im not going to do Int Driving License..
You can get a local license but its easy with a Inter driver license. lasts for 12 months & you can renew it from Indonesia. I have been pulled over but as soon as they see I have a inter license they wave you on, never paid cash yet.

matsaleh

Super Moderator
May 26, 2004
Legian, Bali
There is a difference between a 60 day visit visa you can not extend & 211 sobud visa that you can extend up to 180 days, you need to check which visa they have given you....
Fred2, this is not quite correct. Both the 60 day visit visa and the sosbud visa are now 211 status, therefore a 60 day visit visa CAN be converted to a sosbud visa if a sponsor is found before the end of the initial 60 day period.

matsaleh

Super Moderator
May 26, 2004
Legian, Bali
On sosial budaya you can only apply for a Tourist License and it must be renewed at the police station every 30 days. Only those with Kitas can apply for a local license.