Relocation questions

sakumabali

Apr 2, 2010
hey some of us have spent our lives living without hospitals and doctors (on purpose) and learning the ropes of eating bio-organic, raw and soul-loving food (all home grown of course); homeopathy, charcoal, fasting etc so we don't need western manufactured products such as GPs (who don't have to study chemistry ... eeeeek!) and 'hospitals' where 90% of entrants come out worse than they went in). why would we go to a different place if we didn't wish for different? different means learning so we can climb mountains and scour streams for gold! ; )
:D that was real funny....I'm sure Marley's Bob had similar ideas when he got that minor football foot injury the first years

meremortal

Jun 12, 2023
:D that was real funny....I'm sure Marley's Bob had similar ideas when he got that minor football foot injury the first years
don't know any thing about marley bob but i've committed my and my rescues life to this way of living for over 15 years now. anyone that can do half of what i've done in the last 15 years deserves more than the Victorian Cross! however, we never did buy supermarket foods and avoid plastic wrapped stuff like the plague. why we're coming to live on a volcanic patch - so we can increase are nutrient values.

meremortal

Jun 12, 2023
don't know any thing about marley bob but i've committed my and my rescues life to this way of living for over 15 years now. anyone that can do half of what i've done in the last 15 years deserves more than the Victorian Cross! however, we never did buy supermarket foods and avoid plastic wrapped stuff like the plague. why we're coming to live on a volcanic patch - so we can increase are nutrient values.
ps i'm the only woman to have surfed north point (one of the most dangerous waves in the world) over 55 years of age so it must be doing some good along with the two hourly daily astanga practice).

meremortal

Jun 12, 2023
From the horses mouth. Indonesian top lawyer and part owner of Atlas beach club, Canggu, Bali:
View attachment 3736

The same Indonesian top lawyer hard at work / getting a tan in front of his Lambo. It could be your casefile spread out on the lambos bonnet/hood!

View attachment 3737
heehee. gosh that looks like togar situmorang

Dori

Jun 28, 2023
Good morning folks. We we’ve been here now for 6 days. It’s been interesting! Spent first 2 1/2 days in Candidasa, decided it wasn’t for us as it would be to far from the airport for the short hops we’d want to make to Perth…..and the hotel was shite.
Now in Kuta…….I’m sick saying no thank you and trying to avoid shaking hands with people I don’t to.
I have to admit, yesterday one man was told to feck off. As I said before it’s a ‘ could we live here ’ visit.
A genuine question….do you ever get used to the dirt.

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Good morning folks. We we’ve been here now for 6 days. It’s been interesting! Spent first 2 1/2 days in Candidasa, decided it wasn’t for us as it would be to far from the airport for the short hops we’d want to make to Perth…..and the hotel was shite.
Now in Kuta…….I’m sick saying no thank you and trying to avoid shaking hands with people I don’t to.
I have to admit, yesterday one man was told to feck off. As I said before it’s a ‘ could we live here ’ visit.
You are suffering the usual "tourist" experience that we (expats) don't encounter and know how to avoid. 1.5 hours to the airport is about normal if you live in the east OR near the airport in Cangu/Seminjak (which are geographically much closer) etc.

We can all spot visitors a mile off and the locals are even better.

The only way to survive here is to build/buy your own place, resolve to travel to Oz with your dedicated driver taking up to 1. 5 hour from Tabanan or the Candi area.

Avoid any contact that isn't necessary with locals (sorry to say we are all "rich" and treated accordingly.

Reactions: YachtRock

Dori

Jun 28, 2023
Thanks gents. Now anywhere I can buy a half decent bottle…. or 4 of red wine?

sakumabali

Apr 2, 2010
There are plenty of options. Supermarkets in Denpasar and KuLeSem are stocked with great stuff! I've been in Teuku Umar in a not so great looking supermarket and was wondering the queue of Indonesian people buying bottles...

sakumabali

Apr 2, 2010
there's a vodka (Smirnoff ? ) and a rum (captain Morgan) produced in Indonesia (others as well perhaps) so the taxes are quite low. Wine is more difficult. I heard the two island grapes brought to Indonesia and THEN make alcohol out of it (lower taxes). This one isn't bad but you can't compare it to a decent European or Australian wine

britoo

Sep 11, 2018
Thanks gents. Now anywhere I can buy a half decent bottle…. or 4 of red wine?
mhhh ...... decent you say .... you are going to have to open your wallet wide I am afraid.

Here's the best I have got;

Bali Wine Cellers: https://maps.app.goo.gl/qU3YuTJcyYPCbe4r5
Wine House: https://maps.app.goo.gl/KwDNDPdUrUnnim6BA
Bintang Supermarket :https://maps.app.goo.gl/9m3WshV7ivYTG7bC6
Sunset Point: https://maps.app.goo.gl/xSZt9QDuDXySt48V6

My faves:
Sehseh Pizza (Like these guys) https://maps.app.goo.gl/eJq5tbgbxvPH5G148
Pizza Bagus (Ubud mind) https://maps.app.goo.gl/pw9NvyyrLjc4ZXBc6
Ultimo Seminyak used to be fantastic but not been in since Covid. Have read they have really ramped up the prices though.

Otherwise Bali bogaloo or there is another online place might be worth a look.

Reactions: Dori

Balifrog

Dec 30, 2017
there's a vodka (Smirnoff ? ) and a rum (captain Morgan) produced in Indonesia (others as well perhaps) so the taxes are quite low. Wine is more difficult. I heard the two island grapes brought to Indonesia and THEN make alcohol out of it (lower taxes). This one isn't bad but you can't compare it to a decent European or Australian wine
The 2 Island wines are drinkable.

Decent reds at Two Island are the Shiraz and Cabernet Merlot.
White wine : Chardonnay blanc. I use it only for cooking.....

Rellek

Apr 28, 2020
Medewi, West Bali
Only 6 days and you reached a point of telling someone to feck off?

You wrote "Do you ever get used to the dirt" what does this mean? It sounds like you may be miserable living here. Is the convenience of short hops to Perth your main reason for choosing Bali? if so, you may be disappointed. Bali has become increasingly expensive by leaps and bounds and more tourists are forecast to arrive in 2024 so plan on doubling your budget if arriving next year. Long term rental prices are skyrocketing around South Bali too. Healthcare on Bali is horrible even with a good private insurance company.

I recently spent a week in Darwin, Australia and found prices there within the range of Bali for short term rentals and food. There's less dirt there, wine is cheaper for sure, and there are frequent domestic flights to Perth.

Maybe cast your net a little wider?

gtrken

Nov 4, 2007
Perth W Australia
Try looking south out of the airport but avoid Uluwatu. Somewhere around Puri Gading or the University is ok. Airport is only 20 minutes away, has a reasonable western population and most beaches on the south and SW coast are 20 minutes or less via motorbike. Plenty of cheap( and expensive ) restaurants and local markets plus upmarket shopping ( Sidewalk mall).
The traffic on JL Uluwatu up the hill after Puri Gading can get bad hence why I suggested around the Uni. There are 2 options to get there or can come via the Toll road.
Nusa Dua is ok but pricey.

Cheers
Apprentice Real estate agent
Ken

Last edited:
Reactions: Dori

harryopal1

Jul 20, 2023
It sounds like you are experiencing a culture shock. You may feel disappointed to the point of depression but allow another week or so to transition.

We are in Jimbaran which is about 20 minutes from the airport. 9 mins from Jimbaran beach. Walkable access to a couple of large supermarkets and market. My wife is Indonesian and acts as an agent for house and villa rentals and land. She may be able to help if you outline what you are looking for, your budget and for how long. If you are looking for short term accommodation while you find your feet you might look at Jims Residence. https://www.jimsresidence.com/ They have overnight, weekly or longer term rentals. If price is not a concern there are the waterfront hotels like Intercontinental and Four Seasons. They are in the luxury class but for far from the airport.

As you are finding Bali is becoming somewhat overwhelmed with tourists and many Russians and Ukrainians have led to rapid increases in rentals as Rellek mentioned. Recently Jalan Uluwatu had the footpaths upgraded. Before you had to watch your step for potholes and broken areas. Now you have to watch your step for motorbikes which skip up onto the footpath to avoid pockets of congestion.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rellek and Dori

Dori

Jun 28, 2023
Only 6 days and you reached a point of telling someone to feck off?

You wrote "Do you ever get used to the dirt" what does this mean? It sounds like you may be miserable living here. Is the convenience of short hops to Perth your main reason for choosing Bali? if so, you may be disappointed. Bali has become increasingly expensive by leaps and bounds and more tourists are forecast to arrive in 2024 so plan on doubling your budget if arriving next year. Long term rental prices are skyrocketing around South Bali too. Healthcare on Bali is horrible even with a good private insurance company.

I recently spent a week in Darwin, Australia and found prices there within the range of Bali for short term rentals and food. There's less dirt there, wine is cheaper for sure, and there are frequent domestic flights to Perth.

Maybe cast your net a little wider?

Dori

Jun 28, 2023
Not sure if you are asking me but if you mean me, yes. I have been living here 6 years. I
Sorry Harry, no I was asking Rellek.
Thank you for the information. I agree with you it’s probably a mixture of culture shock and tiredness from travelling. Thank you again.

Rellek

Apr 28, 2020
Medewi, West Bali
Do you live here?
Yes, I moved here permanently in December 2020 after visiting for holidays for several years. I choose to live in West Bali where there is very little traffic, beautiful and undeveloped land and beaches. It's 3-4 hours to Denpasar from where I live and I love it here but there is a downside with all major moves and no place is perfect. I was going to suggest Candidasa but you have already been there and the place didn't agree with you. If you have never lived (or visited) a third world country then it's good you came and visited first because Bali certainly doesn't suit everyone. I've been 'ripped off' a few times by seedy locals and recently I posted in this forum about Foreigners being targeted by a government official to pay 500% more for medical treatment on Bali than locals pay at the hospitals here.

I've had poor medical advice from Doctor's here on Bali that could have led to serious health consequences, so now I avoid hospitals on Bali and fly to Jakarta for proper medical treatment in a clean hospital with knowledgeable doctors providing care. It's a beautiful place to live if you are flexible with traffic gridlock, bugs, a bit of mold and mildew, and a poor healthcare system for out of the ordinary medical conditions.

You will be viewed here as a rich foreigner so street vendors will harass you constantly to buy something so you'll need to get used to it. Choosing to live on Bali only because it's conveniently close to fly to visit family doesn't sound like a reasonable motivation to me.

Good Luck.