Relocation questions

I have one open kitchen and one closed and honestly the closed kitchen is the harder to keep clean as all the wildlife hides in cupboards and drawers whereas in the open kitchen it's well open and I can see immediately when mice or toads have taken up residence. I much prefer the open kitchens also from the safety standpoint because everyone here cooks with bottled gas and they all leak, some more, some less but all leak latest when they are headed towards empty and the internal pressure isn't enough to ensure a good seal. Lot of fires and some deaths are caused by them but not in open air kitchens.View attachment 3733
I don't exactly know how to say this but your kitchen looks messy and organized at the same time.

Thanks again to everyone for answerping my questions. I’m enjoying the banter as we go along.
I promised you updates. We took the advice of many of you and will be there in November for a month before going on to Australia to spend Christmas with our daughter.
Can any of you recommend a lawyer? We want to set up appointments before we get there.
Thanking you in advance

Thanks again to everyone for answerping my questions. I’m enjoying the banter as we go along.
I promised you updates. We took the advice of many of you and will be there in November for a month before going on to Australia to spend Christmas with our daughter.
Can any of you recommend a lawyer? We want to set up appointments before we get there.
Thanking you in advance
Dori,

is it a lawyer or a Notaris that you actually want . . . or both?

A Notaris normally handles formal property transactions - in fact only a registered Notaris can lodge a land office transaction - often including rental contracts though a lawyer probably has a deeper understanding of the law including contract law.

The reason I raise this is because if its a Notaris you want, a Notaris can only practice in the regency in which they have their office, hence without knowing broadly where you to intend to set up home (regency) , its hard to offer meaningful advice.

As an example a Badung based Notaris cannot operate directly in Gianyar nor Denpasar (including Sanur) and vice-versa.

Not promoting the site - only just googled it a moment ago - but please see maps for the location of each regency - https://www.balicasa-properties.com/bali/

Hi Dori, Someone in a previous post recommended Southeast Asia Business Advisors (SABA). Ingo Muller is one of the attorneys and my primary contact. I've used them extensively and can highly recommend them. Good luck with your new adventure!

Thank you very much for that. It’s a lawyer I want first.
Hi Dori, Someone in a previous post recommended Southeast Asia Business Advisors (SABA). Ingo Muller is one of the attorneys and my primary contact. I've used them extensively and can highly recommend them. Good luck with your new adventure!
yes Dori please read your posts ;) I indeed recommend him

Good joke:

What's 5000 lawyers at the bottom of the ocean?

A good start.

Why do you need a lawyer? They are only to be used here as an absolute last resort.

For land and property questions find all the answers you want/need in open forums (such as here) and once you know exactly what you want and how you will go about it then and only then go to a well recommended Notary - in the area you plan to reside.

Lawyers are the worst IMHO

Dorothy you aren't in Kansas anymore!

Good aint it!

From the horses mouth. Indonesian top lawyer and part owner of Atlas beach club, Canggu, Bali:
1688889334860.png

The same Indonesian top lawyer hard at work / getting a tan in front of his Lambo. It could be your casefile spread out on the lambos bonnet/hood!

1688889548976.png

Last edited:
Over 30 years in Asia in various countries,I have heard too many horror stories with lawyers.
Once you (think) you need one, you're in deep shit. VN, Thailand, Cambodia, even South Korea.
Never used one.

But again, to each his own.
Simply remember this isn't Amerika !

Care to share the details of why you needed/used a lawyer?

Hey Dori, I'd agree with most of these posts. Still I wouldn't focus on east of Bali. If you really like the remote areas w/o any infrastructure you might give it a look. However if I would be over 60 years old I really would want a good hospital nearby. Plus sometimes a western restaurant and supermarket.
So I always found Sanur rather boring (but fun on a lazy Sunday afternoon)...I'd consider the areas up north & east from Canggu as well towards Tabanan if you like it quiet. Downside: Jalan Canggu is a nightmare! so need to find other roads BEFORE you move. So rent first, don't buy!!
hey some of us have spent our lives living without hospitals and doctors (on purpose) and learning the ropes of eating bio-organic, raw and soul-loving food (all home grown of course); homeopathy, charcoal, fasting etc so we don't need western manufactured products such as GPs (who don't have to study chemistry ... eeeeek!) and 'hospitals' where 90% of entrants come out worse than they went in). why would we go to a different place if we didn't wish for different? different means learning so we can climb mountains and scour streams for gold! ; )

Thanks all for keeping me on the straight and narrow.
Dori / Chris (Significant other I assume),

sounds like you have been and are continuing to do your research so that's great.

If you'll indulge me, I am genuinely intrigued as to why you prefer the PT-PMA route unless of course you want to legally operate a rental or resort business or do other things (none of my business) in which case kudos to you.

This is predicated on the assumption you are acquiring a place to live in.

If you enter the country on a retirement visa or the swanky new 2nd home visa ( or even a stay visa I just learned) you can acquire property in your own name under HP which confers ownership rights (identical to HGB) to you directly and not to a separate legal entity - the PMA. For the 2nd home visa you can use the property instead of the funds deposit which seems very effective.

There is no 10B paid-up capital (yupe I know there are wheezes here).

There is no company set-up costs, business plans, ongoing monthly reporting and ongoing legal costs.

No legal implications associated with being company directors signing-off legal docs in Indonesian which might come back to bite you.

There's no non-performing business sitting there generating no income though potentially reporting nice unrealised capital gains.

You aren't living rent free in a supposedly income generating commercial property (according to your business plan) owned by your company.

Most importantly, to my mind, there's no potential loophole, assuming the villa is for personal use, whereby your business licence might be revoked as there isn't actually a legit income generating business operating (if that makes sense). I assume if things went that way the asset which is owned by the separate legal entity, the company, would be seized as the company was dissolved.

I confess to being overly cynical and my scepticism is more to do with what could happen in the future, as rules and taxes evolve rather than what is happening now potentially rendering PMA for personal ownership a risky idea.

Just my thoughts

Back