Relocation questions

What do you mean with "open living" ?
I am guessing they are not talking about their sexual predilections so must be referring to the housing style. My guess is if you don't like sharing your food with bugs, lizards. mosquitos , possibly bats and tokays then open living is probably not for you.
Mind you , even with walls and doors , the aforementioned still find a way in , just takes longer.

Not to mention the AC has zero chance of keeping up.

Cheers
Ken

Sorry Balifrog, I thought you’d understand. Properties listed will say open or closed living. Open means the kitchen/sitting room dont have a door/wall. Closed means they have sliding doors/bi-fold door.

I am guessing they are not talking about their sexual predilections so must be referring to the housing style. My guess is if you don't like sharing your food with bugs, lizards. mosquitos , possibly bats and tokays then open living is probably not for you.
Mind you , even with walls and doors , the aforementioned still find a way in , just takes longer.

Not to mention the AC has zero chance of keeping up.

Cheers
Ken
Thanks Ken

Sorry, another question. How do you all manage with the open living?

Dori,

I think it's a matter of taste and many of us simply don't.

Security, smoke from fires, smell from garbage, noise, dirt, rodents, flies, mosquitos (-dengue) and indeed monkeys depending on your location add to the mix.

Bi-fold (or at least sliding) doors are the way to go so you can have the best of both worlds.

Personally I would only consider closed with some form of bi-folding arrangement.

Sorry Balifrog, I thought you’d understand. Properties listed will say open or closed living. Open means the kitchen/sitting room dont have a door/wall. Closed means they have sliding doors/bi-fold door.
I guessed it was that.
Open living (kitchen, living room) no way for me
- Bugs, and all other + cleanliness problem
- Security
- usuable only 10% of the time at best, the rest of the time it's too hot, too many mosquitos, or raining. Except for my breakfast at 06:00 which I eat on the (covered) terrasse we never eat outdoors.

Can't see myself cooking outdoors with a 30C temp !

Pay attention to the presence of noisy nightlife, dogs or motorbikes. Besides the usual daytime visit, plan one at 10:00 pm on a Friday or Saturday night !
Noise environment can be completely different and more "invasive".
Quite a few horror stories about this. Even with places at 300 / 400 m from the location.

Pay attention to flooding during rainy season.

Cheers !

Sorry, another question. How do you all manage with the open living?
Tourist villas often comes with open living as there is limited use of the kitchen area. For long term living I prefer enclosed kitchen as all meals are prepared at home. I also prefer enclosed living area for the tv to survive the humidity. Quite a few villas have enclosed living these days. In any case the hygiene need to be 100% with all food stored in refrigerator and containers. Trash to be taken out in the afternoon and stored in a bin with lid.

I have one open kitchen and one closed and honestly the closed kitchen is the harder to keep clean as all the wildlife hides in cupboards and drawers whereas in the open kitchen it's well open and I can see immediately when mice or toads have taken up residence. I much prefer the open kitchens also from the safety standpoint because everyone here cooks with bottled gas and they all leak, some more, some less but all leak latest when they are headed towards empty and the internal pressure isn't enough to ensure a good seal. Lot of fires and some deaths are caused by them but not in open air kitchens.20220731_104759.jpg

From the safety standpoint, even with a closed kitchen the gas bottle should be outside ! Mine is in a semi enclosed structure on the terrass. And yep one should replace the hose and regulator valve at least every 5 years !

BTW, I have an open "mini kitchen" at the jungle house in Java. It's bearable for a short stay, 7 to 10 day, but that's it.

BTW, I have an open "mini kitchen" at the jungle house in Java. It's bearable for a short stay, 7 to 10 day, but that's it.
Why?

I love my open kitchen and do all the cooking, daily.

There are creatures in both kitchens so that's not a deal breaker.

Why?

I love my open kitchen and do all the cooking, daily.

There are creatures in both kitchens so that's not a deal breaker.
Maybe a cultural difference on the meaning of "cooking" ?
Only creatures in my closed (Bali) kitchen are the Miss and me, 3 cats, and the occasional gecko but less and less of the latter as the cats take care of that.

It could be interesting to open a cooking or "what did you eat today" tread, but I don't want to be the only one posting.

In the "outdoor kitchen" in Java, the menu is very "simplified" but I bring most ingredients with me from Bali.

Good morning from a hot and sunny day in southern Spain. Your lives sound similar to ours. We have an outdoor kitchen, barbecue area, buts its separate from the house.
I like to have the best of both worlds.

So why move from Spain which I thought was a favoured relocation for retiring Brits and other Europeans being relatively easier to manage on a budget but offering a culture that seems compatible for other Europeans?
1688551050560.png You can, of course, respond with, "mind your own business." But curious.

So why move from Spain which I thought was a favoured relocation for retiring Brits and other Europeans being relatively easier to manage on a budget but offering a culture that seems compatible for other Europeans?
View attachment 3734 You can, of course, respond with, "mind your own business." But curious.
Not perhaps relevant to Dori as I don't know her nationality but post-brexit Brits threw away that particular meal-ticket.

Those already there can stay on though now subject to jumping through (bureaucratic) hoops like dolphins at seaworld, as resident aliens rather than European citizens.

There's even now the visa-run, with a 90/180 stay rule as poor old Brits join the non-EU queue at immigration. No right to reside, no right to work, only bilateral reciprocal healthcare and welfare rights.

Lightly stroking my EU member-state passport as I write this :)

HoP read my first post about the reason for moving to Bali. It’s the downfall of some people to assume. What is your budget for living in Bali? It would be good to know if mine can match it. Thanks in advance

HoP read my first post about the reason for moving to Bali. It’s the downfall of some people to assume. What is your budget for living in Bali? It would be good to know if mine can match it. Thanks in advance
Are you aware that your UK pension will be frozen at the level you are getting when you leave Spain {unless you find some way not to tell them}? My wife and I live like moderately well off people on about 1200 quid/month. That's only living not rent. There are other occasional one-off costs that aren't included in that such as flights, visas, transport. We are lucky to (finally) have local health insurance which is super cheap @ IDR 150k/month each.

Maybe a cultural difference on the meaning of "cooking" ?
Only creatures in my closed (Bali) kitchen are the Miss and me, 3 cats, and the occasional gecko but less and less of the latter as the cats take care of that.

It could be interesting to open a cooking or "what did you eat today" tread, but I don't want to be the only one posting.

In the "outdoor kitchen" in Java, the menu is very "simplified" but I bring most ingredients with me from Bali.
Being now the proud owner of an Air Fryer a whole new world of culinary disasters and delights is opening up to me. Post away...

Yes there are downsides to everything unfortunately. Thanks for the approximate budget.
enjoy the air fryer, the last time I was visiting my daughter we had a few ‘ well done ‘ meals. Practise practise practise.

Being now the proud owner of an Air Fryer a whole new world of culinary disasters and delights is opening up to me. Post away...
Yep, have an Air Fryer also. In fact we had it since years ago in HKG but seldom used it.
Nowadays I use it mainly for French Fries (freedom fries for the Yanks...)

It avoids the smell of oil in the house.

Back