davita

Mar 13, 2012
The following was published in BaliDiscovery 16/05/2016....

"Via public announcements in the Bali press, the Ngurah Rai Immigration Office has reminded all accommodation providers and private residence owners in Bali of their legal obligation to report the details and data of all guests.

Signed by the head of the Ngurah Rai Airport Immigration Office, Yosep H.A. Renung Widodo, the announcement dated April 26, 2016, was addressed to all members of the community who provide accommodation, paid or unpaid, to foreign nationals.

The announcement reminds:
Every foreign national staying in private homes and rented accommodation in Bali must be reported to immigration authorities.
A report detailing the personal data of the foreign guest must be provided to the Immigration Office within 24 hours after the visitor checks-in at any form of accommodation in Bali.
Reports can be done online via the Immigration office's website.
Anyone encountering difficulties of filing the information regarding their foreign guests via the online addresses above, should alternatively immediately advise the Ngurah Rai Immigration Office by telephoning 0361-9351038 or 0361-8468395, by facsimile to 0361-9357011 or by email
Accommodation owners or operators who fail to report the hosting of a foreign visitor within the required 24-hour period can be charged criminally under Section 117 of the Immigration Law Number 6 of 2011 with penalties provided of up to three months in prison or a fine of Rp. 25 million."

I tried to find the website quoted to no avail.

This Law is not new, as all hotels do it, but my suspicious mind suggests it could be in conjunction with the amended rule of denying foreign owners, not resident in Indonesia, from renting out villas.....with or without Pondok Wisata.

ronb

Aug 14, 2007
Ubud, Bali
I am aware that one should register ones foreign guests with the police - but this talks of registering with Immigration. So I am confused (yet again).

Nydave

Jun 4, 2015
This is probably already well known by owners of hotels and guest houses,but what about people who will have a foreigner staying with them,for example a foreigner who comes on a social visa and will stay a couple of months,how is that home owner supposed to know that the rules have changed and that they are possibly putting themselves in line for big fines and whatever,

Also when we arrive in Ri and go thru immigration why aren`t we registered then,

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
This is probably already well known by owners of hotels and guest houses,but what about people who will have a foreigner staying with them,for example a foreigner who comes on a social visa and will stay a couple of months,how is that home owner supposed to know that the rules have changed and that they are possibly putting themselves in line for big fines and whatever,

Also when we arrive in Ri and go thru immigration why aren`t we registered then,

Dave you have clearly forgot where you are.

I would bet that 99% of hotel owners have never heard of this and could care less as it's probably come from a bad dream the minister had after a bad curry night.

All of these "new" regulations are written in such a dire tone - "if you don't comply before the guests even arrive your children will be sold into slavery and you life forfeit on the wrack" kind of thing.

I often thing they formulate them so because they know most people will ignore them anyway and if they didn't then ALL would.

I mean, Christ on a Crutch, it was written by: Signed by the head of the Ngurah Rai Airport Immigration Office, Yosep H.A. Renung Widodo

Who the feck is this?

Last edited:

davita

Mar 13, 2012

Exactly nydave...so stupid....but what to do?
I've had literally dozens of foreign visitors, usually for a week or less, and never thought to advise immigration because they sometimes move to other areas of Indonesia.

This isn't a new law, apparently been since 2011 at least, so why is Bali Imigrasi guy now reminding people of the law and its consequences. That's why I said I was suspicious that there is something else going on.
It is well known the hotels are complaining about losing customers to illegal villa renters and this may be an approach to reduce the competition.

spicyayam

Jan 12, 2009
I like the online initiative, but it looks very basic. Why not create a way for accommodation providers to register with the site, so they don't have to write out their details every time they make a report.

davita

Mar 13, 2012
I like the online initiative, but it looks very basic. Why not create a way for accommodation providers to register with the site, so they don't have to write out their details every time they make a report.

Spicy...that's logical, sensible, reasonable, economical and practical...but not to a nonsensical Indonesian political....:icon_wink:

SamD

Sep 7, 2006
Seminyak

I don't. It's yet another pathetic attempt by some minor government munchkin to try and create an empire for himself. Widodo is basically an idiot who, in the real world, would be hard pressed to get a job as a bus conductor. What if every hotel, guest house and private individual in Bali suddenly stoppped reporting foreigners to the police/immigration? What could they do? Arrest every accommodation provider in Bali, including half the local population? The truth is they could do nothing. I wish it would happen.