no.idea

Feb 22, 2011
Sanur
Mat, it may be worth contacting Sven Hollinger. He is the German guy who operates Sven's Choice, this is also known as SPS Quality Meat Processing. He is situated to the rear of Pepito supermarket in Tuban.
He employs a couple of hundred workers to assist him in his wholesale meat production. I reckon his products are the best on this island. He also sends meat to Jakarta and Surabaya.
By offering to buy him a few beers he may be willing to give you a good idea if what you are planning is a pipe dream or reality.

Last edited:

ronb

Aug 14, 2007
Ubud, Bali
Hi Mat. I have just be re-reading and thinking a bit.

I... My early thinking was to partition a shop, different prep areas, not do goat or chicken, just Beef, pork, duck, maybe some smoked fish.

I don't think a partitioned arrangement would work well with the Muslim customers. It is a matter of trust. They regard pig products as like sh*t - so don't want it anywhere near. How can they be sure that the same utensils that were dealing with pork have not been brought to the beef - or that the same butcher has been working both sides touching the pork, then the beef.

mat

Dec 18, 2008
Singaraja
Hi Mat. I have just be re-reading and thinking a bit.

I don't think a partitioned arrangement would work well with the Muslim customers. It is a matter of trust. They regard pig products as like sh*t - so don't want it anywhere near. How can they be sure that the same utensils that were dealing with pork have not been brought to the beef - or that the same butcher has been working both sides touching the pork, then the beef.
True, maybe leave out the 'Halal' bit. Still only a seed of an idea at the moment. Looking at other ideas and doing some costing up.

spicyayam

Jan 12, 2009
I think there are a lot of opportunities here, problem is just finding the right one :icon_biggrin: How about making fresh milk as discussed in another thread.

db_aussie

Apr 12, 2010
Bacon

On the subject of meat, does anyone know where to find good Bacon in Bali ??
I've tried SPS and Bali Deli, but just can't seem to find any that compares with the packaged Bacon back in WA.

BKT

Apr 2, 2010
Auckland/Singaraja
Lotus in Jimbaran have a Deli/Restaurant out the back, they have a wide variety of meat.

As painful as it is to say I had the best steak there in my life, even better than what I had back in NZ

db_aussie

Apr 12, 2010
Pepitos in jalan Kediri, Tuban

Sorry for the late reply Matsaleh; I don't get on here much.
I'm pretty sure Pepitos is the same meat as that from SPS.

Recently though, I bought and tried at home some Bacon (freshly sliced) from Casa Gourmet in Seminyak Square which was quite good.

db_aussie

Apr 12, 2010
Lotus in Jimbaran have a Deli/Restaurant out the back, they have a wide variety of meat.

As painful as it is to say I had the best steak there in my life, even better than what I had back in NZ

Funny you should say Lotus, as the wife and I only just discovered Lotus a few weeks ago. The sausages we bought from there (I think we've tried them all now) are the best I've found in Bali since I've been living here.

I also grabbed a steak while I was there too and cooked it at home. I would have to agree that they're pretty damn good.

Cheers,

DB.

Sully

Feb 3, 2010
Oz
Hi guys

Haven't been on for a long time, family matter to attend and still attending . Has this gone anywhere. I work for a company who are suppliers to the food industry, this includes dry goods, marinades etc and packaging. Trying to look for a supplier in Indonesia.

mat

Dec 18, 2008
Singaraja
Hi Sully,
I have given up on this idea, as there seems to be some good suppliers of well butchered meat now available in Bali. I am now exploring other ways of making my money work for me.