minz56

This may have been discussed here already but as things in Bali can change quickly here goes...

I understand it is possible to set up a WiFi solution in a house with a plug-in device that presumably provides a mobile internet access solution via a SIM card which then can be accessed by a number of devices in the house.

Am I dreaming or does such an option exist? Speed is not the main thing here ... just the option to offer WiFi to guests in my Villa. I don't have a landline and getting one in the short term is very unlikely.

Any information on who does this would be most appreciated!

Thanks in advance
Michael

Yes, they exist. I have 2 ways of doing this.

1. is TP-Link TL-MR3420 - see TL-MR3420 - Welcome to TP-LINK. These cost Rp275,000 at Waroeng Komputer. I use it with a Huawei HSPDA modem - I am not exactly sure which model but maybe an E161 at about Rp250,000. Works fine if your SIM card provider is giving a good 3G service in your area.

2. I have an IDEOS Android phone from Huawei which can act as a wireless hotspot so that nearby laptops etc can use the phones data connection. I think there are a number of Android phones that can do this.

Then, there are single Huawei devices such as E585 that can do it HUAWEI E585 - Huawei Device Co., Ltd... I have not used one, but have no doubt it would work OK if you have a good 3G signal. Waroeng Komputer has a price of Rp381,000 for these.

Where to get them - you will have no trouble getting the TP-Link and the Huawei USB stick at RTC (Rimo Trade Centre), but last time I asked for a Huawei E585 there I could not find it - maybe now you can. Waroeng Komputer in Jakarta has them all and ships by JNE.

Last edited:
Hi ronb ... thank you, thank you, thank you!!

I think option 1 looks good ... I already have a Huawei modem bought here which is currently hooked into my laptop. It's a couple of years old but I am still getting decent speeds where I am on Telekomsel. So ... instead of plugging it into my laptop I plug it into the TL-MR3420 device and off I go!

So, my next stupid question is where is Waroeng Komputer?

Many thanks
Michael

Michael,
All those above suggestions are good..alternatively you can try cdma wifi router from smartfren wifi router HR950b

price idr 899k, free 6 gig for a month..

about the signal is depends on where your villa located, to make sure just check smartfren signal at your villa.

Hope this helps

I think option 1 looks good ... I already have a Huawei modem bought here which is currently hooked into my laptop. It's a couple of years old but I am still getting decent speeds where I am on Telekomsel. So ... instead of plugging it into my laptop I plug it into the TL-MR3420 device and off I go!

So, my next stupid question is w: here is Waroeng Komputer?

Waroeng Komputer is at ::: WARUNG KOMPUTER :: and works like this
1. you search the web site for what you want
2. you email requesting
3. they respond confirming they have it and saying what the JNE cost will be
4. you transfer money to their bank account (they have BCA and Mandiri so if you have either of those an internet bank transfer is immediate)
5. they ship and send you the shipping details
6 it comes in 2 or 3 days

However, as you have the USB stick and SIM card, you may do OK to go to RTC with modem stick and laptop, find someone with the TP-Link and get them to plug it in with your modem stick and see if it all works. Use the Waroeng Komputer price as a guide when bargaining.

I've used Waroeng Computer a couple of times and been very happy with their excellent service. The weak link in the chain from Waroeng to me is JNE. They are s-l-o-w. They also say they can't find my easy-to-find house and want me to pick up from a local JNE office which, as far as I can tell, is never open. But Waroeng is great.

Thanks ronb and pollyanna!
The advice is greatly appreciated.
I'll check out RTC first and if I can't get it there I'll go through Waroeng Komputer.

smartfren

Smartfren also have another new product REV B wifi router, the speed is good although will differ depending where in Bali you use it. You an have up to 5 devices using this service at once and the device is portable. Cost 899,000 for 1 month and I got one month free unlimited, each month now i pay 150,000 for a 12gb package but there are other plans available with unlimited access but a little slower. They have a shop on Sunset road, although they were out of stock of this product, i went to a small shop in jalan raya kuta that is like a smartfren agent.

Waroeng Komputer is at ::: WARUNG KOMPUTER :: and works like this
1. you search the web site for what you want
2. you email requesting
3. they respond confirming they have it and saying what the JNE cost will be
4. you transfer money to their bank account (they have BCA and Mandiri so if you have either of those an internet bank transfer is immediate)
5. they ship and send you the shipping details
6 it comes in 2 or 3 days

However, as you have the USB stick and SIM card, you may do OK to go to RTC with modem stick and laptop, find someone with the TP-Link and get them to plug it in with your modem stick and see if it all works. Use the Waroeng Komputer price as a guide when bargaining.

I have used www.bhinneka.com and was happy. They use TIKI for sending theri parcels

Thanks for the pointer to this on-line store. While I think Waroeng Komputer had more laptops (what I was looking for), bhinneka has lots of cameras which Waroeng Komputer does not do at all. They also have consumer electronics and tools.

Just to update ... I was in Surabaya at the weekend and got the TL-MR3420 router.
It was relatively easy to install although you need to follow the instructions from the manual in the CD that accompanies the router rather than relaying on the printed instructions.
The bottom line is that have WiFi in my Villa! It's working fine although it will be interesting to see what problems I encounter during the remainder of my stay so that I can give guests some troubleshooting guidelines.
Thanks to everyone here for their suggestions ... and in particular to ronb for suggesting this option.

Back