Dyah

Dec 29, 2005
Hamburg, Germany
www.ikat-agentur.com
Discuss on January about residency status for mix marriage spouse and Residency for Mixed-Marriage Spouses Back on the Agenda | The Jakarta Globe

And today I am also happy and excited read some news from Mix Marriage Forum about the good news in order to obtain permanent residence for the westerners and/or perpetrators of mixed marriages in Indonesia that have been approved by government!

Many thanks for Mix Marriage Society like KPC Melati, PERCA, International rainbow Alliance and everyone who fight for this status ...

I´m back soon with other details :)

spicyayam

Jan 12, 2009
The headline of the article sounds promising, but I don't really get what is going to change exactly.

Under the law, foreign spouses of Indonesian citizens are not granted permanent residency and must instead possess a valid work permit to remain in the country.

To remain in the country if you are married to an Indonesian citizen you can get a spouse sponsor visa, but you can't work on it.

Is that article saying foreigners who are married to Indonesian citizens will be free to get PR and undertake paid work? Without the kind of restrictions that is placed under a working visa? Well, that would be nice if that happens.

I don't know of any other country which doesn't allow work on a marriage visa.

It's nice wishful thinking, but I don't think the change will happen quickly.

Savitri

Feb 13, 2011
it does sound promising, but like most things in Indonesia, they happen in sloooowww motioooonn.....

I'm keeping my fingers crossed though!

gilbert de jong

Jan 20, 2009
Panji, Singaraja.
hahaha...well as long as it's not over par, I'll take it :icon_wink:
Yeah..I do understand what you mean, but now they seem to make it even worse...I can't find where they mention changes ?
Permanent residence is already available for spouses, so the only thing what could change is like spicy also asks "foreigners with a spouse-kitas are going to be allowed to work ?"

mat

Dec 18, 2008
Singaraja
hahaha...well as long as it's not over par, I'll take it :icon_wink:
Yeah..I do understand what you mean, but now they seem to make it even worse...I can't find where they mention changes ?
Permanent residence is already available for spouses, so the only thing what could change is like spicy also asks "foreigners with a spouse-kitas are going to be allowed to work ?"
Or own land equally without a pre-nup?

spicyayam

Jan 12, 2009
Becoming an Indonesian citizen is perhaps the only option at the moment. For men, you can apply for it after being on the spouse sponsored visa for 5 years. I think women can get it in one year.

Fred2

Oct 13, 2010
Surabaya/Australia
I think it goes to a vote next month & if passes it will another 2 yrs before its legal.
To have a work permit without all the hassels would be great.
You can apply for your PR after 2yrs of living here but you still cannot own land & can not just work for yourself.
Mat it will not allow you to own land.

Dyah

Dec 29, 2005
Hamburg, Germany
www.ikat-agentur.com
it´s work ... i hear directly from some people there, sorry that i can not explain many details now. We´ll waiting until 5. April to know more about this ... The concept of permanent residence in Indonesia has been promoted by the women’s movement have been aproved by DPR (23.03.2011)

:) I´m realy sooo happy...
-Dyah

spicyayam

Jan 12, 2009
it´s work ... i hear directly from some people there, sorry that i can not explain many details now. We´ll waiting until 5. April to know more about this ... The concept of permanent residence in Indonesia has been promoted by the women’s movement have been aproved by DPR (23.03.2011)

-Dyah

Well, thank you and to the women's movement for promoting this. There was an article in the JP some time ago about how some Indonesian women met and married foreigners abroad and had no way to move back to Indonesia because of this rule. The foreigners were not from US/Australia/UK, but from other developing countries. So it is almost impossible for them to find companies in Indonesia to pay for their work visa, because of the ridiculous cost.

I can't see a foreigner working for the salary that most Indonesian companies are willing to pay their employees, so if the rule was changed, I think more foreigners who have Indonesian spouses would be more willing to start companies, if they could get legally involved with them, which of course could then employ other people.

Of course I am biased, but I really can't see how foreigners married to Indonesian citizens would be taking jobs away from other Indonesian people.

gilbert de jong

Jan 20, 2009
Panji, Singaraja.

-Dyah

dear Dyah...guess we/I have to wait till april to get clarified what will CHANGE....
permanent residence is already available so the only thing that might change is the workpermit thing...which basically won't change anything (IMHO), because I don't see any foreigner going to work 6-7 days per week for a monthly salary of around 1jt/2jt...

Fred2

Oct 13, 2010
Surabaya/Australia
Gilbert, we have UD & CV company's which we employ workers. I cannot work in our own business because I don't have a workpemit. With the change of rules I will be allowed to work in my own company. I also go to a state school & teach my trade 1 day a week, this is illegal but the school is so happy to have a qualified tradesmen to help. The police have been around checking but no problems so far. They asked why I wear work boots, I told them I ride my bike very fast & need safety boots:icon_mrgreen:

gilbert de jong

Jan 20, 2009
Panji, Singaraja.
so finally I get it...not from the article, but from you fred2....the big change will be allowing to work on a spouse-visa...

Sidebar---..fred2, may I ask if your name is on any of the licenses for toperating he business, being it a CV and UD...and asking for my own future situation :)

safety boots, without a helmet and shirt, right :icon_wink:

Fred2

Oct 13, 2010
Surabaya/Australia
Both UD & CV companys are 100% Indonesia owned, but are the best for tax. If you are in the local market its the only way to go.
The only thing that I have my name on in Indonesia is my Kitas & bank account.
Welcome to Indonesia:icon_mrgreen:

gilbert de jong

Jan 20, 2009
Panji, Singaraja.
alright...thanks.
I know it's all in preliminary stage, but if the law would change, you could then work legally in your UD and CV without having to change the business-licensing? and even become owner on paper, or is that pushing the bar?
thanks again fred2...
btw, what name is on your sim :icon_lol: just joking :icon_wink:

Fred2

Oct 13, 2010
Surabaya/Australia
It would be good, just to be at work & not have to look around to see if someone is watching you.
My name will never appear on the paper work.
You would think that someone that is married to a Indonesian person & invests a lot of money to make jobs & train people, the government would make it easier. The other day I had a visit from the fire chief to check that I had everything in order, I mean hello tell me anyone in the the street that compiles. He was a bit peeved that I had everything & didn't buy anything off him.

Dyah

Dec 29, 2005
Hamburg, Germany
www.ikat-agentur.com
I can just tell you here, what i hear and what i read from the concep... but without any article about this. One change in this case is: After 3 years marriage with indonesian citizen foreigner can became permanen resident for 3 years, and than after this 3 years permanent resident without to extended anymore.

Many things in change about this thema, we´ll see ...
I don´t have any experience in apply permanent resident in Indonesia for my husband, than we don´t living there. We plan this year (October) to starting living in Bali about 6 months/year.... But with this change, we do thinking about moving to Bali.

-Dyah