Lea

Jun 11, 2012
For the last six months we have been using BALI IDE, and to be honest it has been a terrible
struggle each month to receive my passport back...It was never ready to be picked and most months
they held on to passport ready for next extension, so in the six months I never had my passport, which
is very silly incase you need to vacate country quickly because of emergency..

I have been doing small amount of research and it seems people have had same problem with BALI MODE..

All you expats out there can I please have your opinion on who you use, and how you rate their services..

Thanks..

matsaleh

Super Moderator
May 26, 2004
Legian, Bali
Since I've been in Bali (over 6 years), I've used several agents and always had the same problem. I only seem to have my passport for about 2 to 3 days a month, even with extensive prompting to the agent.

I really don't think it's the fault of the agents, but with the immigration department itself. Passports now have to be submitted 2 weeks prior to the visa expiry date and immigration only process the visa extension around 1 week after the due date, unless you're willing to pay more for "expediting". It's the same as everything here; it's all about money.

Dick Rector

Feb 26, 2011
Sanur Bali Indonesia
I used nearly 6 years Mr. Henk de Nes for all my visa stuff like sosbud, extensions, re-entry permits and retirement visum and can really recommend him. He is Dutch/Suriname lives here with his family for years, speaks English, German and Dutch of course. His hp-number is 818358707. Just give him a ring or sms, it won't hurt to get information.

no.idea

Feb 22, 2011
Sanur
It becomes a fact of life. I have not seem my passport since April the 10th.
Having no passport, I have to look in the mirror to recall what I look like some days. Now there is a scary thought.

Lea

Jun 11, 2012
Matselah, maybe its best to stay with the devil you know than the devil you don't..!!

Its just so frustrating as I feel very 'naked' without my passport...

At Bali Ide the last two extensions are 50, 000 more expensive..
I asked why and the reply was " A lot more paper work for the last two extensions"

I pay 800,000 for each extension and then 850,000 for the last 2...!!

Is that more than the average Visa Agents charge..??

Lea

Jun 11, 2012
No Idea I couldn't possibly look in the mirror and see the reflection especially feeling
so 'naked' without my passport...!!

I am starting to understand more clearly now...This is the norm not having your passport and here
I was thinking Bali Ide were incompetent...

Once I find out if I am paying more than other agents I will make my decision...

Dick thanks for the advice, have taken note of the phone number...

matsaleh

Super Moderator
May 26, 2004
Legian, Bali
Matselah, maybe its best to stay with the devil you know than the devil you don't..!!

Its just so frustrating as I feel very 'naked' without my passport...

At Bali Ide the last two extensions are 50, 000 more expensive..
I asked why and the reply was " A lot more paper work for the last two extensions"

I pay 800,000 for each extension and then 850,000 for the last 2...!!

Is that more than the average Visa Agents charge..??
Lea, give my visa agent a call. He is way, way cheaper than the price you're paying. Although he does charge extra for the 3rd & 4th extensions, as the passports must go to Denpasar for processing.

His name is Aris and his company is Immigration Service Bali - Expatrust Bali - Social Visa His mobile number's on the website.

I've recommended him so many times now, I think I'll ask for a discount! :highly_amused:

davita

Mar 13, 2012
Seeing as members feel free to promote or advertise agents I will input.
I have used Bali Mode for a couple of years for our retirement visa and recommend.
The owner is Didik Supriadi. He has offices in Jl Sriwijaya, Kuta. Jl. Hanoman, Ubud and in Jakarta Timur, 13240.
I'm guessing he has over 50 employees so is not a one-off agent. He is also a retired Immigration officer who still has connections and I've just been told he was voted chairman of the 'The Immigration Affairs Association.'
I'm awaiting some verification of the latter and will amend or repost.

edit: he is chair of Ajakindo. ajakindo@hotmail.co.id
email: infobalimode@gmail.com

Last edited:

sugarbear

Mar 4, 2011
I followed Matsaleh's recommendation of Aris

Lea, give my visa agent a call. He is way, way cheaper than the price you're paying. Although he does charge extra for the 3rd & 4th extensions, as the passports must go to Denpasar for processing.

His name is Aris and his company is Immigration Service Bali - Expatrust Bali - Social Visa His mobile number's on the website.

I've recommended him so many times now, I think I'll ask for a discount! :highly_amused:

I used IDE in the past and found their services adequate, but got charged for everything. I have been using Aris's since my last visa run and have been very happy and the cost is much less, percentage wise. All in all I give him 2 thumbs up!!

I also experience a delay in receiving my passport back, but in Bali there is a delay for everything. The immigration department is just as efficient as everything else, and head and shoulders above the traffic and police.

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Yeah, time wasters.

As usual I'm always put off by these groups that want foreigner business but are too fecking lazy to ask someone who speaks English to check their grammar/spelling/usage.

You gotta ask yourself how much trouble will they go to help you/us?

alex margou

Jul 20, 2013
All you expats out there can I please have your opinion on who you use, and how you rate their services..

I take you are asking about extending a SOSBUD visa (60 days to start with and then up to 4 x 30 day extensions). For about 4 years I used that system and can tell you that I used a really shit hot agent to do all my extensions ...... me!

Seriously guys, I don't know why anyone uses an agent for doing something that is very simple and easy to do. I did my extensions at the main Immigration office in Panjaitan, Renon.

1. Before you start the process go to the office and pick up a folder full of forms. Tell them that you are doing a SOSBUD extension and which one it is 1, 2, 3 4. The forms needed are slightly different. I used to pick up the whole collection of 4 folders of forms for extensions 1 to 4 in one go to save visits to Renon.

TIP on this first visit to the Immigration office ask where the window is for doing SOSBUD extensions. Go to that window/loket and ask about the time scale etc so you know when to turn up with your forms. Ask what ID photos you have you supply and so on. ASK! I found them really friendly and helpful - especially early on when I was learning the process. 30 minutes

2. Get your sponsor to sign the sponsor letter which you keep in your computer and run off each time (don't have that letter? The guys at Immigration will give you a sample!) and attach a photocopy of their UP-TO-DATE (not expired!) KTP. I always kept a load of these in the cupboard with the forms.

3. Pour a large Bintang. Sit down with your Bintang and fill in the forms. It'll take about half an hour - it's very boring and repetitive - but it's easy - Hey guys, the forms are in English (!) as well as in Indonesian. If you don't understand any part of it, just leave it blank and ask when you hand the forms in. 30 minutes

TIP make a photocopy set of these filled in forms to keep at home to help you next time, to remember what you did last time!

4. Go to the office and hand in your folder of forms and passport. They will send you to the photocopy bloke round the back. He's knows how many copies of each are needed. Then back to the loket and hand it all in. They will give you a receipt and tell you when to come back for the next stage. 15 minutes

5. Come back to the office a week or so later (doesn't have to be exactly the day they said - but don't go before). Hand in your receipt - they'll give you a piece of paper which you take to the cashier and pay the fee (used to be Rp.250,000 per extension). Take your receipt from the cashier and hand it in at the loket. They'll tell you to go away and come back again in a week or so. 15 minutes

6. Come back to the office a week or so later - pick up your passport - done! 5 minutes

EXTRA STAGE FOR EXTENSIONS 3 AND 4

5a. At the end of stage 5 above they will give you a letter in an envelope. You take it to the local office of the Ministry of Law and Human Rights (go out of the Immigration office and turn left. At the end of the road turn right - past the Post Office - it's a few hundred yards further down the road on the right hand side (look for KANWIL KEHAKIMAN DAN HAM). Go in the main door - the receptionist will tell you where to go - hand in your letter. They will tell you to come back in one or two days. 15 minutes

5b. Come back 1 or 2 days later - pick up a letter - go to the Immigration office and hand it in - go home and wait for stage 6. 15 minutes

So there it is. Very easy - but a bit time consuming. Do it yourself for Rp.250,000 - or pay some agent Rp.XXX,XXX - it's your choice!

NB What I've written is my memory of how it was 10 to 5 years ago (now I'm on a KITAP). Of course it will be a bit different now but not significantly so.

Hope this helps!

Last edited:

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
You are correct for those of you unlucky enough to live near the Imi - for the rest of us it is a 3 day-a-month torture drive to Dumpasar.

I was always happy to pay the extra $25 a month NOT to have to go there 3 times/days.

But I like how you work "pour a large Bintang...":icon_wink:

alex margou

Jul 20, 2013
You are correct for those of you unlucky enough to live near the Imi - for the rest of us it is a 3 day-a-month torture drive to Dumpasar.

I was always happy to pay the extra $25 a month NOT to have to go there 3 times/days.

But I like how you work "pour a large Bintang...":icon_wink:

Yes, you're right, of course. I know this is really only an option for folks living in Denpasar and Sanur - maybe Legian/Seminyak too?

But folks living anywhere could at least do the first sentence of part 3!

I thought I'd write it all down now in case it is of any use to folks living nearby, and before senility wipes it entirely from the memory banks!

Cheers!

QuestionMark

Feb 11, 2012
Waiting for my passport almost for 4 weeks now (it's the 3rd extension), I'm supposed to send it it again on like Monday or Tuesday. Agent says it's standard that it's takes so long for 3rd/4th extension but I'm starting to get slightly worried...

sugarbear

Mar 4, 2011
Unfortunately, that's just the way it is

Waiting for my passport almost for 4 weeks now (it's the 3rd extension), I'm supposed to send it it again on like Monday or Tuesday. Agent says it's standard that it's takes so long for 3rd/4th extension but I'm starting to get slightly worried...
Questionmark, I understand your concern, the time that a passport is delayed at the immigration office seems to be growing longer and longer, not too much we as foreigners can do about it, well actually NOTHING we can do about it. I doubt that changing agents will help at all, but building a working relationship with an agent might help. They seem to be able to "nudge" to immigration workers when necessary, IF the passport is not temporarily lost in the system. My advise is find an agent that you trust and make him aware of the date you plan to leave for your social visa run, I plan about 3 months in advance and travel on the cheapest flight available in about a two week window, BEFORE my last extension is up. As long as you have your passport in your hot little hand before you arrive at the airport all is good. AND you have checked the dates stamped in your passport!!

QuestionMark

Feb 11, 2012
Yeah I went there today and my passport arrived "yesterday afternoon" so just in time to send them back in on Monday :)
Need to get it earlier next time because I'm leaving for a trip to Europe, they said they will put a note and it's not going to be a problem, fingers crossed...