sayangrosa

May 26, 2009
I remember 13 years ago, first time I arrived to Bali and stopped for some months, I had the chance to visit quite extensively the island and some places impressed me so much that I never forgot them; there was something unique, which belonged totally and exclusively to the island, and somehow the unbelievable feeling it conveyed, I would dare to name it "magic". Years passed, and now it seems increasingly difficult to find those unspoiled spots where people are still smiling, time is still slow, nature is still free of garbage.
Does anyone want to share if they still are lucky enough to have found some places like these lately? Where and what impressed them?
It would be fun to share and useful for who loves to go around Bali looking for something special.

no.idea

Feb 22, 2011
Sanur
This island is still full of beautiful places to visit. The whole of Indonesia is magnificent.
My everyday life is awesome, I meet great people everyday.
Believe me it is still "magic".

Fred2

Oct 13, 2010
Surabaya/Australia
I have always loved Bali, there is so many lovely places to go & people to meet, but step off the island & you will go back in time to beaches that have no rubbish & people that have not seen westerners in real life. Explore Indonesia you will love it.

SallyR

Aug 31, 2011
My most favorite place in Bali is Jatiluwih in Tabanan, amazing views of rice fields and mountains-Starting to get popular with tour buses. Another place I love is Pemuteran on the north west coast and also the west Bali national park. You can get a guide and do some lovely walks in the park, not many people around, it's fabulous.

gilbert de jong

Jan 20, 2009
Panji, Singaraja.
small tip, if you want to keep those "magic,unveiled,unknown places" just like that, I mean the way they are...better not broadcast it out loud here :icon_wink:
with this in mind I would say, Pemuteran, bleh...nothing to see or do there...
same goes for the national park, dangerous walkpaths and killer monkeys there :icon_wink:

SallyR

Aug 31, 2011
Thanks Gilbert for giving me a good chuckle today. I take it you haven't been to Jatiluwih? :highly_amused:

gilbert de jong

Jan 20, 2009
Panji, Singaraja.
hehehe,
No I haven't been to Jatiluwih yet..
but judging from your words 'amazing ricefields', that's where those man-eating snakes are right?
and amazing 'mountain-view' better watch out for those landslides and falling boulders :icon_wink:

hope next time round when you go there it's still as serene as before :highly_amused:

kayoticlaudia

Mar 10, 2011
Indonesia & Germany
We have the rice field views, mountain view and a wonderful breeze at our place. And since I don't want to spoil it too much I won't tell anyone where I am..... But I do advertise on Tripadvisor......:highly_amused:

Oh and snakes..... yes have those too along with scorpios and nasty centipedes......

C

CanonMan

Into the Green

I've been canyoning four times in Bali now and each time is more profound on the calm and beauty of these pristine places. No trash, no noise, wildlife as intended and stunning vistas.

Aling Aling Gorge
Kalimudah Gorge
Gitgit

These being the three, thus far, most astonishing locations I have seen thus far. I will also be going to Flores on a Canyon expedition at the end of October to see something different. Hoping also to travel some more to see those pristine beaches around Indonesia that are a disappearing commodity here in Bali now.

Cheers,
'Cam'

aliciathomson

Sep 15, 2011
I also need some suggestions for this, as I wanted to spend my vacation there in Bali, I want to explore beautiful places and also taste great food there.

matsaleh

Super Moderator
May 26, 2004
Legian, Bali
just rent a car and drive get lost it the best way to travel anywhere

It's impossible to get lost for any length of time in Bali. Well, that's my experience anyway.

I've tried a few times to "get off the beaten track" but always end up back in Denpasar and then it's only a short hop to Kerobokan, Seminyak, Legian, etc

soontobeexpat

Dec 30, 2010
Perth, Australia
It's impossible to get lost for any length of time in Bali. Well, that's my experience anyway.

I've tried a few times to "get off the beaten track" but always end up back in Denpasar and then it's only a short hop to Kerobokan, Seminyak, Legian, etc

I did a pretty good job myself the first time driving there ;) It took me 3 hours to get from Melasti to the jail.. I have no idea where I went however would LOVE to go back there.. every other time now it only takes 10 minutes, which is good when you are within time constraints but shit for rediscovering..

C

CanonMan

Just came back from a weekend in Nusa Penida. Very bleak in terms of vistas, not in a bad way but less 'Tropical' than I expected. Some incredible beaches though especially at the Crystal Bay close to Sakti and Toyapakeh. The island I'm sure is something like Bali used to be some years back, many children not seen white folk in the villages etc. Literally everyone we rode past, took the motorbike, had a smile and a wave. The minute you stopped the questions started, "Where are you from" etc etc, all the norms.

However the only saddening thing is the amount of trash, absolutely unbelievable. In the gorges, on the beaches, on every entry and exit location to villages and just about everywhere else between. On may of the images I took I have had to remove plastic bags etc with photoshop. It really is saddening to see. With such remoteness also comes the issue of trash management. If they want tourism there, maybe they don't, but if they do this is the first issue they need to address.

Cheers,
Mark.

P.S We went for our wedding anniversary, this was the sunset at Crystal Bay on 'our day'.

Penida Sunset Web.jpg