josh82

Sep 25, 2012
Hi there,

Forgive me If I'm out of place in this category, but I visited the Ubud Monkey Forest yesterday and was taken in by the close up wildlife.

I'm looking for more similar experiences that can be recommended. I've already done the Bali safari park, I was hoping for something more in the open.

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Try the mountain between Candi Dasa and Bug bug. There's a small temple well above the road way and every night and morning the local apes come down to be fed by passing locals. Quite popular and not touristy, really.

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Agreed Sideman is lovely, I've only recently discovered that myself after going past it many times.

From Sideman go up the mountain towards Selat (center of E. Bali bamboo industry) and there is a new 11 roof Pura being built with the peak of Mt. Agung just behind it on a clear day - wonderfully cool and peace without end. Also a damned good photo op.

jennmark

Oct 12, 2012
Not far from Ubud, in the area of Tampak Siring is a gorgeous place called Gunung Kawi. It is one of our favourite places to visit, and doesn't seem to be terribly well known in the tourist circuit. Be prepared to walk down (and, of course, back up) a couple of hundred steps to reach the bottom. The carvings in the side of the valey are amazing, the ancient Monk caves behind the temple are rather different for Bali, and the scenery of rice paddies is just lovely. Take a dip in the cool fresh water in the river at the base (and if you're really lucky, an old Balinese man might just come in for his bath!). We love it there. Sangeh Monkey Forest (not far from Gunung Kawi) is better than Ubud MF (IMHO) - no-one is allowed to feed the monkeys there, so they are not naughty and behave just like they would if you weren't there.

tintin

Sep 13, 2005
Boston, MA, USA
Starting from Selat, up the road to Sebudi, ending up at a parking lot. Continue up about 300 steps to Puri Pasar Agung (The market of the Gods). Spectacular view of East Bali (you're about half way up Gunung Agung). The keeper of the Pura is a very nice, friendly guy (I forgot his name) and also a guide to climb Mt. Agung. Pura Pasar Agung is also one of the starting point to climb the mountain, a much shorter distance to the summit than from Besakih. I never climbed the volcano, but I met this guy there several times, and he is worth meeting over a cup of tea (he was still there 4 years ago). The additional advantage of Pasar Agung is that there are no hasles like at Pura Besakih! The steep drive up is interesting, riding a motorcycle, but it was more interesting before, when it was a small dirt road, .