Legal Clause - This Power of Attorney is given with the right of Substitution

blightyboy

Feb 10, 2011
Ubud, Bali
I have just been offered a supposedly irrevocable POA by a lawyer to have the exclusive right as agent to market and sell a property for one of her clients. The very last clause in the POA says "Surat Kuasa ini diberikan dengan hak substitusi" and in English "This Power of Attorney is given with the right of Substitution". When I asked what this meant I was told it was an essential because there was no such thing as 'irrevocable' POA under Indonesian law.
Call me an old cynic, but sounds fishy to me. Anybody come across this or maybe knows what it means?
Thanks guys.

sakumabali

Apr 2, 2010
When I asked what this meant I was told it was an essential because there was no such thing as 'irrevocable' POA under Indonesian law

Don't know about the rest but this above is a fact! Same thing with the nominee giving the plot "irrevocable" to the foreign "owner", theoretically the nominee can always change his mind and tell the judge that "they forced him to sign this paper" and will own the property himself afterwards, all he need is some cash to "convince" the judge, as land prices are soaring this will happen more and more often in Bali in the near future....