"It's a wise child that knows its own father" - a clever Greeks once wrote.

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
This has been intriguing me for years here and I am willing and happy to hear more from those that know more.

Let me set the stage first: If you had two Balinese brothers and their respective families (each brother has a wife and 3 children) in one room.

Looking only at the names on the identity papers there is no way that an outsider would or could know which children belonged to which family or which wife belonged to which husband.

In fact it would be impossible for the outsider to know that the two brothers were even related to each other.

As far as I know this is unique in the world - every society that I know of makes the familial relationships as evident as possible. But not Bali!

And that is even more bizarre when you consider how involved they all are in their families.

I have been reliably informed that, for instance, if a member of the family goes off to say Jakarta and lives for 10 years his relationship book/family tree which is kept at the village where his family lives (and where he was born - in Bali), will be updated only when he returns. That is the only source of his "true" relationship record.

If that gets lost or burns down then wheeeehey everybody belongs to everybody.... or nobody! There are apparently moves to bring this system online and into the 21st century - kind of a pity really.

gilbert de jong

Jan 20, 2009
Panji, Singaraja.
there's such a thing as a kartu keluarga...and records are being kept of wife and children at the kantor kepala desa and the xxx (forgot the name)..
but you're right an outsider wouldn't know who is who.but that's not only in Bali, right?

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
It's only Bali that I've heard anything like this.

In any other country that I have heard of there is always a name that follows the generations - be it maiden name,surname or patronymic (fathers name with ending - Gregoravich, ie son of Gregory).

Let's be honest fathers are a proud bunch and usually want everyone to know how "fertile" they have been.

Apparently not true here in Bali - which I find kinda nice too...

Fred2

Oct 13, 2010
Surabaya/Australia
Indonesia people just use any name they find, without a family card you would not know who is who. My wife has one name, that was great in Australia, had to use her passport a lot, the bank wanted 2 names for a account, airlines the same, had to show her passport with one name. The only things that are common with her father or brothers names is they all have a S.:icon_mrgreen:

no.idea

Feb 22, 2011
Sanur
Then your wife and I must be related as I also have an "S" in my name too.

Markit Sh*thead
This saddens me. My wife also calls me similar names. Please Oh please! do not tell me that we are related. Even worse we may have the same wife and actually could be husbands in law.
Suicide suddenly looks a far better option....:icon_biggrin:

kayoticlaudia

Mar 10, 2011
Indonesia & Germany
Before 1811 surnames were not a requirement in the Netherlands...... Just a little bit of history.... Some had surnames but many did not. And it was common that surnames changes - ie when the son of a baker (Baker) became a fisherman (Visser).