DenpasarHouse

Aug 13, 2013
I've got a normal house with a normal PLN electricity meter using the pulsa/credit system with a power limit of 4400 watts. The only reason we need the wattage as high as 4400 is that when western guests come to stay all the air-conditioners get turned on. The rest of the time the ACs don't get used and we end up paying a lot for our electricity just so we can accommodate western guests a few times a year.

Does anyone know if it's possible to install another electricity meter at a lower wattage and therefore get cheaper electricity?

I often see a single electricity meter for every room of a block of flats(kos-kosan), so I thought it might be possible for a house as well.

davita

Mar 13, 2012
I doubt if there is much advantage in having 2 service lines and 2 meters anymore. It may have been a good idea 3-4 years ago when subsidies were available on electrical capacity below 5,500Watts. Splitting the consumption between meters had an advantage as bigger subsidies were granted.....i.e. 5000W total capacity but split to 2X2500W using 2 meters the bill would be substantially lower even using the same amount.

Every Qtr since Jokowi took office that subsidy has been gradually removed. I believe only those with under 450W total capacity are still subsidized. I doubt if 1 A/C can be run from 450W.

davita

Mar 13, 2012
Factoring the cost of installation of a new line and meter probably negates even that small advantage.
The figures you linked only show the usage rate per KWH and do not add the Admin Fees...it might be that having 2 meters doubles the Admin Fees.

I use the prepaid system (R3) and just today my maid paid Rp500,000 for the pulsa but, when I checked the token, it only allows Rp430,434 usable to provide 282.6 KWHs. The rest is Admin Fee...2,000. Meterai...3,000. PPN (tax)...43,044. PPJ (street lights)...21,522.

btw there are no street lights in my street.:grumpy:

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
What you can do is change your house from Domestic to Business usage (i.e rental villa) and the price drops about a third.

davita

Mar 13, 2012
What you can do is change your house from Domestic to Business usage (i.e rental villa) and the price drops about a third.

Why don't you tell us how that is done and show the cost differential?

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Davita I would happily share this if there was one way to do it. In some areas you need to have an existing pondok wisata in some not. If you apply to PLN as you are building the house it's much easier than if you already have an existing "type" of electricity on an existing house.

I actually have 2 houses (chest waaaaay out!) one which has it and one that doesn't - it took me a while to note the difference and I'm now in the process of changing the other around. Watch this space.

Tobeornot

Jan 4, 2014
Hi Markit, just wondering if you are able to provide an update on the electricity, where you successful in changing the "type" have you been able to save on your electricity bill. That's if you are willing to share your success

Nydave

Jun 4, 2015
I don't fully understand the Op's point,

You have guests and you use extra electric because you are using additional air conditioners,thats normal right?

Is he saying that after the guests leave the electricity usage remains the same as when the guests are there,

Perhaps I'm wrong but say you put Rp 500,000 into the meter at any time, you just burn thru it quicker when you are using more electric like when you have guests,again normal,or is he complaining about the cost of electricity in general,

Or is there something in his post that i'm missing,

or the additional air conditioners being used for the period of time you have guests,thats normal

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Not sure if this still applies but there used to be different charges (higher) for different levels of usage. If you applied, upon completion of house, for the PLN to install 4400 watts of electricity then each watt was one price, if in the same case you wanted to have 11000 watts then the price for each watt was considerably higher. What the poster is after is low charges for his "normal" usage but only to be charged the higher charge in the seldom case when he has wasteful guests using power like it was free.

As to my changing one villa to different usage I've since heard that it can be done but can't be assed to do it - will wait till I have either more energy (power) or the girlfriend leaves.

davita

Mar 13, 2012
Markit has well explained the system that used to be. The tariff applied was conditioned by the capacity 'available' not by actual usage ...

i.e. if the house was wired for more than 5,500Watts there was no PLN subsidy from the government so the rate for each KW consumed was highest. If the house was wired for say only 1,000Watts there was a subsidy and the rate for each KW consumed was less.

This isn't the case anymore as the government has reduced the subsidies over the last year and I believe only houses wired for less than 500Watts actually get a lower rate.

There is a different rate between business use and residential use.