swiftvin

May 12, 2011
hi - how concerned should one be about security when looking for a house/villa to rent?
e.g. is it that risky not to be in a gated community? as i see rents are higher for those gate types.

i'm planning to stay for 6-12 months.
cheers.

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Security here on Bali is a funny old thing - in short, the easier it is for you to find a rental property, the more you're going to need security.

What I mean is, for instance, I'm out in the boon-docks in East Bali - not much in the way of long term rentals, lots of luxury villas for holidaying, but no noticeable security risks - none!

Now if you are in Seminyuk or Kunta then you're gonna find lotsa rentals but it's not anywhere most of the long termers here would care to live. And there is lots of crime and problems.

So probably not what you need to get on with but it's the best I can do. Your choice is gonna probably be somewhere in the middle. Just make sure you have a tight-nit local community around you, go visit the head man and pay your respects (and a small token of your estimation). Be friendly and helpful to all but don't let em take advantage and they will look after you - as you do them :icon_biggrin:

swiftvin

May 12, 2011
good advice thanks - i will pay more attention to the better areas .

can anyone recommend 'good areas' to consider long-term (as i have no idea), i have only visited a few times.

much appreciated:icon_lol:

Last edited:

matsaleh

Super Moderator
May 26, 2004
Legian, Bali
If you're planning to stay anywhere in the south of Bali, I suggest you employ full time security staff. My neighbours (in a villa here in Kerobokan) have been robbed 3 times in the past 3 months. They have now employed a guy to watch their place, whenever they go out.

We also never leave our place unattended. There's always a staff member here, day or night.

okaislands

May 12, 2011
good advice thanks - i will pay more attention to the better areas .

can anyone recommend 'good areas' to consider long-term (as i have no idea), i have only visited a few times.

much appreciated:icon_lol:

Hello.

just come to Ubud area! and spend a few days to take look around. many interesting places There! before you have something to decide. best regards

Oka