dingo

Nov 1, 2010
Hello,

Does anyone else make their own beer here? If so Does anyone have a bottle capper they may like to sell??

cheers
Dingo

DelMundo

Mar 31, 2011
Hello,

Does anyone else make their own beer here? If so Does anyone have a bottle capper they may like to sell??

cheers
Dingo

I'm very keen to do some homebrewing, I did lots back in the States. My capper is at home, but you could use water bottles with screw on caps....get creative!

I've got a plan to make some mead....any idea where I could get some decent yeast? Interested in helping out or trying let me know!

mat

Dec 18, 2008
Singaraja
Yeast; I use 'Bakers bonus' from ABD in Singaraja. Perfect.
Bottles used plastic 1.5 litre fanta, sprite or **** bottles work fine with the top screwed on tight. [have had aqua bottles explode.]
I Make ginger beer.
All you need is a dustbin, black bin liner, a pin, 20+litres of water, kilo ginger, 4 kilos of sugar, 1 table spoon of bakers bonus, some lemon grass, bottles, siphon tube and a funnel.

DelMundo

Mar 31, 2011
Yeast; I use 'Bakers bonus' from ABD in Singaraja. Perfect.
Bottles used plastic 1.5 litre fanta, sprite or **** bottles work fine with the top screwed on tight. [have had aqua bottles explode.]
I Make ginger beer.
All you need is a dustbin, black bin liner, a pin, 20+litres of water, kilo ginger, 4 kilos of sugar, 1 table spoon of bakers bonus, some lemon grass, bottles, siphon tube and a funnel.

ABD - nice - I'm sure i can find that down in Kuta.

Ginger "Ale," yeah that was also on my list - and sounds like a good starter one.

I'd planned on getting one of those 20L Aqua bottles. I brought an airlock back with me. I suppose the recipe goes like: Boil 5L water, sugar, shredded ginger, lemon grass for a half hour to make a nice sugary tea. Mix with 15L water, add yeast at 70F if you can find it that cool anywhere :) Ferment for a week and bottle it up!

Any tricks on fermenting? Does 8kg sugar give ya a nice 7% alcohol and still have a sweet taste? Do you have to reprime the bottles with sugar, and with 1.5L bottles, is that what, 4tsp sugar each?

All very exciting, a cheap and easy way to dodge the sin tax around here :p

mat

Dec 18, 2008
Singaraja
Lets make ginger beer.

ABD - nice - I'm sure i can find that down in Kuta.

Ginger "Ale," yeah that was also on my list - and sounds like a good starter one.

I'd planned on getting one of those 20L Aqua bottles. I brought an airlock back with me. I suppose the recipe goes like: Boil 5L water, sugar, shredded ginger, lemon grass for a half hour to make a nice sugary tea. Mix with 15L water, add yeast at 70F if you can find it that cool anywhere :) Ferment for a week and bottle it up!

Any tricks on fermenting? Does 8kg sugar give ya a nice 7% alcohol and still have a sweet taste? Do you have to reprime the bottles with sugar, and with 1.5L bottles, is that what, 4tsp sugar each?

All very exciting, a cheap and easy way to dodge the sin tax around here :p

I put the 19ltres of water in the bin liner in the dustbin, chop up ginger and lemongrass [to taste] cover ginger and lemongrass in a pan with water. Boil for 15 minutes add 1kg of sugar, boil till dissolved. Add to bin liner of water [keeping ginger and lemongrass] repeat a total of 3 times, the last time put the whole contents of the pan into the mixture. Add a table spoon of bakers bonus [yeast] and seal the bag tightly. Wait, the bag will blow up like a balloon, Add one [only one pin or needle] prick to the bag, the bag will not deflate. Wait 10 days-3 weeks and the bag will start to deflate, siphon off into plastic bottles that have had 1-2 tablespoons of sugar added. [Don't worry about the sediment , it will go to the bottom or can filter if you like.] This is for the secondary fermentation and to make the beer fizzy. TIGHTEN THE TOP FIRMLY. Store at room temperature. Wait 2-3 weeks, chill and enjoy. Produces a dry [definitely not sweet] fizzy and very strong ginger beer. Orange zest and other ingredients can be added to taste.

mimpimanis

Nov 4, 2003
Kuta, Lombok
www.mimpimanis.com
Thanks Mat - I may have to try this too :) I bought over a wine making kit with me from UK but produced really undrinkable rubbish. Not sure where I can get the yeast in Lombok but I am sure I can find out :icon_biggrin:

spicyayam

Jan 12, 2009
Having tried Mat's home brew, I can say it is an excellent drop. Just waiting for him to bring round some more :icon_biggrin:

JohnnyCool

Jan 10, 2009
Sanur
Hi dingo

I have a hardly used bottle capper, bought it in Darwin several years ago. Made a few batches but gave up in the end. Maybe I drink too fast.

Send me a PM if you're still interested.

:icon_razz:

jadebecca

Apr 6, 2010
kalgoorlie
Hi dingo

I have a hardly used bottle capper, bought it in Darwin several years ago. Made a few batches but gave up in the end. Maybe I drink too fast.

Send me a PM if you're still interested.

:icon_razz:

My husband is loving making homebrew from scratch at the moment,he cant wait to get over there and make some!

spicyayam

Jan 12, 2009
Good blog post. Mat does suggest using soft drink bottles rather aqua bottles. Thanks for the reminder about this, because I want to give it a try.

no.idea

Feb 22, 2011
Sanur
I know this place in Java. It is called Bintang Brewery. They send beer to me already capped in pretty little green bottles. It costs 9,500 rupiah a bottle. Wonderful stuff.
:icon_lol:
24 of the little devils every day only costs me 230,000.
:icon_biggrin:

no.idea

Feb 22, 2011
Sanur
Gilbert, yes the small bottles. The big ones get hot too quick.
Goldminer, yes cutting back to 24 a day. It is my new diet. No beer before breakfast.
:icon_rolleyes:

gilbert de jong

Jan 20, 2009
Panji, Singaraja.
Gilbert, yes the small bottles. The big ones get hot too quick.
Goldminer, yes cutting back to 24 a day. It is my new diet. No beer before breakfast.
:icon_rolleyes:

a solution to the getting hot fast, drink faster :icon_lol:, just joking..
I always drink the small ones too for the same reason as you.

was asking about the/your price, cuz I'm in the process of setting up a klubhouse/bar..

no.idea

Feb 22, 2011
Sanur
a solution to the getting hot fast, drink faster :icon_lol:, just joking..
I always drink the small ones too for the same reason as you.

was asking about the/your price, cuz I'm in the process of setting up a klubhouse/bar..

I tried the drinking faster routine. Alas all that did was increase my daily intake to a ridiculous amount. If you are setting up a club house or bar, keep in mind that there is very little profit in selling beer.
Spirits and cocktails are where the profits are.

gilbert de jong

Jan 20, 2009
Panji, Singaraja.
thanks for the heads-up no.idea..
I'm not doing it for the money, if it breaks even I'm ok with that.
The plan is to buy the beers for 10k a bottle, and sell 'm for 18k (2k below all the other establishments).
Also fruit-wines (coconut/pineapple/melon) buy per bottle 50k, sell per glass 30k (10k below what others charge for a horrible hattenwine per glass)
There's a 'new' factory uphere close to Lovina that makes whiskey/sambucca/malibu/blue curacao and other spirits, if I remember right under the name of Gilbey, bottles between 200K and 275K, and can get the walkers red/black/blue somewhere else for 350k (maybe cheaper when buying alot).
the place ain't that big, but in a good street...so we'll see how it goes,
as for now stil negotiating on lease-terms