spicyayam

Jan 12, 2009
@DelMundo What did you end up using to sanitize your bottles? The article you linked to in your blog said "unscented, household bleach". Is there any particular brand you used?

@Gilbert The new bar sounds good. Any hint to the location? :icon_biggrin:

Dick Rector

Feb 26, 2011
Sanur Bali Indonesia
Spirits or spiritus

thanks for the heads-up no.idea..
I'm not doing it for the money, if it breaks even I'm ok with that.
The plan is to buy the beers for 10k a bottle, and sell 'm for 18k (2k below all the other establishments).
Also fruit-wines (coconut/pineapple/melon) buy per bottle 50k, sell per glass 30k (10k below what others charge for a horrible hattenwine per glass)
There's a 'new' factory uphere close to Lovina that makes whiskey/sambucca/malibu/blue curacao and other spirits, if I remember right under the name of Gilbey, bottles between 200K and 275K, and can get the walkers red/black/blue somewhere else for 350k (maybe cheaper when buying alot).
the place ain't that big, but in a good street...so we'll see how it goes,
as for now stil negotiating on lease-terms

Hi Gilbert, do you know ecxactly where that 'Gilbey' is.
After living in Spain for 8 years I am spoiled for a good glas of wine or something else. Can't digest the rubbish they call local wine here.
Regards
Dick

gilbert de jong

Jan 20, 2009
Panji, Singaraja.
Sorry dick, been away for a couple of days...

yeah, if coming from singaraja into Lovina at the traffic-lights make a sharp left (real sharp), follow that road (new wide asphalt) for about a kilometer or so, and then you will see it on your rightside. It's on the corner with an even wider new asphalt road...
but if it's wine you're after, I have no idea how their wine is..the wine I mentioned is from a german friend who makes his own.
For the other stuff like walkers/smirnoff/kahlua etcetc... you could try next to the 'new' diveshop on the mainroad, he has alot of choice in spirits and at reasonable prices :)

mat

Dec 18, 2008
Singaraja
fill them up.

I forgot to add with the ginger beer recipe; when filling the bottles, it must br to the very top before the the tops are tightly screwed on. Also for cleaning the bottles; a good wash out under the tap does fine and the alcohol will then kill any stray bacteria.

calitobali

Jul 10, 2008
I made this myself recently. Super strong, I have no way of measuring the alcohol content but definitely above 10%, maybe even above 15%. Why do you say to fill up the bottles all the way to the very top though Mat? We left a little room, just in case anything expanded, but it was my first brew.

By the way, do you tend to get bloated or gassy when you drink it? Everyone I have given it to does, we chalked it up to the ginger, but wondering if yours does that as well.

mat

Dec 18, 2008
Singaraja
Fill to the top not only because it will expand, but to keep the air out. Only Co2 will be produced to make your bubbles. Air is notoriously full of bacteria and bugs so it is your enemy in home brew.

Jin

Aug 19, 2011
I made this myself recently. Super strong, I have no way of measuring the alcohol content but definitely above 10%, maybe even above 15%. Why do you say to fill up the bottles all the way to the very top though Mat? We left a little room, just in case anything expanded, but it was my first brew.

By the way, do you tend to get bloated or gassy when you drink it? Everyone I have given it to does, we chalked it up to the ginger, but wondering if yours does that as well.

Hi calitobali and all others. Ok, the percentage of alcohol in your brews is relative to the amount of sugar used in your total batch. 1 kilogram of sugar can be converted to about 500ml alcohol (100%). For simplicity we'll call those aqua gallons at 20 liter, so that each kilo of sugar will be equivalent of .5 liter alcohol (100%) / 20 liter. This equals to about 2.5% alcohol of that 20 liter batch. So just multiply by 2.5% for each kilo of sugar used per 20 liter batch to figure your alcohol content. Bakers yeast does have a high tolerance to alcohol. Most are viable to between 13 - 18 % alc. Beyond that and fermentation stops. Those 6 kilo sugar brews are "kerpow" for sure.

If you have a bit of space in the plastic bottles, they can be squeezed till the content reaches the top and then capped. The bottle will expand as the CO2 is produced.

The gassing, bloating (and loose stool) is from the live yeast that you have consumed. The little guys are having a hey day in your guts ;)

Cheers,
Jin

calitobali

Jul 10, 2008
Any ideas on where to get bottle caps? Johnny Cool was nice enough to give me a bottle capper today, just don't know where to get the caps at!

Adam

Jul 21, 2006
Western Australia

Hi Dude,

Anyways, the reason you are getting too gassy and bloated is you are trying to drink your brew way too fast. By that I don't mean the way you open your throat and pour that sucker down (which we both can be pretty good at :) ), I mean you should be letting your brew sit for ideally around a month, although the longer the better.

The problem is the yeast is still alive when you are consuming it (as Jin mentioned earlier) and they are continuing to ferment in your guts. Back here we call them 'greenies'. You need to let the bottles wait long enough for all the sugar to be consumed in the secondary fermentation and the yeast to die off before you even consider touching it without the nasty side effects. I spoke to crazy Dave (you know who I'm talking about about), who is a bit of a home brew guru, and he recommended no more than a tablespoon per large Bintang bottle for your secondary fermentation. I don't know if you can remember back, but we were all complaining of your very same complaint way back in the day when we stayed at Suriwathi. The Bintang stubbies coming thru were way to green and we were forced to drink the cans (and lots of Beam and Ouzo). It's a horrible feeling when you dread sucking the guts out of a cold bintang.........

As for caps, let me know how you get on, can be arranged to get some from my side of the ditch. I'd be starting at consulting packaging type wholesalers first, if I was you.

Adam

Jul 21, 2006
Western Australia
Hey Cali,

Why don't you post up your recipe for your Green Tea home brew so other people don't make the mistake of trying to brew it for themselves. Definately on the same echelon alongside Southern Comfort and low-carb beer as one of the worlds worst alcoholic drinks ha ha ha.

The mango and passionfruit was great, but! ;)

calitobali

Jul 10, 2008
Hey Cali,

Why don't you post up your recipe for your Green Tea home brew so other people don't make the mistake of trying to brew it for themselves. Definately on the same echelon alongside Southern Comfort and low-carb beer as one of the worlds worst alcoholic drinks ha ha ha.

The mango and passionfruit was great, but! ;)

I think the only thing people need to know is don't go too crazy with the citric acid. Besides that the only ingredients were green tea, sugar and yeast. Don't worry I should have the recipes perfected and not overflowing upon opening next time you are over here.

TomYum

Feb 10, 2012
Bali
Isn't weather here too hot for homebrew? How do you regulate the temperature? Seems too cold is the overseas problem, but it's easily 25-30 degrees here every day

Sarahfrijole

Feb 21, 2013
Still searching for capper

I know this post is a bit old, but am still searching for a capper and caps. Anyone have or find a place to buy one?