wellred

Oct 6, 2010
Hi there,

I am planning a trip over xmas and was initially set on Thailand again (Pattaya) but think I will opt for somewhere a bit nicer looking so I picked Bali.

I am going to start doing some research on hotels ect but I thought it would be good to join here as I imagine there is some useful around to be picked up. Not sure exactly where I want to go to but im thinking mabye Sanur.

1) Firstly how much are hotels roughly? A lot of places online i've checked are priced in USD, any particular reason for that? I guess I am looking at something around £20 - 35 a night so a semi decent guest house or hotel. As long as it's clean has a bit of space and maybe a pool then im happy, also might bring a girl back there so shouldn't be a shithole. Do I need to raise my budget or can I find plenty for around that price?

2) How much are drinks there? I don't plan to be drinking all day every day but I will probably have a few in the evenings and might hit some clubs at night too. Im not sure if anyone here has been to Pattaya before but there I was budgeting around 7000 bhat a day so 150, sometimes 10000 if it was a big night. Id like to do a few touristy things too, see some sights but also maybe a bit of mongering which brings me onto my final question.

3) What's the P4P scene like in Bali/Sanur or just generally Bali? Im not expecting it to be anything like Pattaya but is there a scene there? I'm travelling alone so some company a few nights would be good.

Thanks for taking the time to read this, hope you can help me plan my trip.

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Welcome to the forum and I have a small feeling, judging from your main points of interest that you will be as disappointed in Bali as it is in you welred.

Thailand is a beautiful country, except for Pattya. If that is your usual haunt then you've wasted your time there and if you are expecting something similar in Bali then you are wasting your time here.

I never understood wanting to go around the world for pussy and beer - because it's cheap? Hell if you spent the airfare at home on local pussy and beer you could damn near kill yourself and save the world from the bad influences.

Consider your options, but welcome to the forum :icon_razz:

SamD

Sep 7, 2006
Seminyak
2) How much are drinks there? I don't plan to be drinking all day every day but I will probably have a few in the evenings and might hit some clubs at night too. Im not sure if anyone here has been to Pattaya before but there I was budgeting around 7000 bhat a day so 150, sometimes 10000 if it was a big night.

Well, let me see.... If you budget for the equivalent of 7000baht in Bali that should buy you about 75-80 750ml bottles of the local Bintang beer in most pubs/restaurants in Sanur. That should see you through the night OK. Don't know what they charge for spirits though, but your budget should be ample if you are only an evening tippler.

wellred

Oct 6, 2010
Wow 75 to 80 beers? That's a lot of beer it really is cheap there.

In regards to me trip I'm not on a mongering trip as such. I'm here for some sun, beaches and relaxation. The girls are really a bonus but I just wanted to know if that scene exists there.

Thanks

scout

Jun 25, 2010
Ubud
Tosser

Hello, and i am being rude here (probably), we dont need your kind to infiltrate our beautiful island, there r enough bogan australian's doing it already. "me trip" get a life, and mongering what does that mean?? girls are a bonus, hey right lets hope your visa is revoked on the grounds of the holder's stupidity.

Note to self: Ok now my sensibiity is in tact and lets hope there is no reply from said loser cruiser :icon_rolleyes:

wellred

Oct 6, 2010
Wow that's a bit hostile. I was just trying to be honest and get some like for like advice. Anyway i've done some searching around and it looks like there is plenty of that there so im heading for Bali!

Don'y worry im not Aussie and im well behaved.

matsaleh

Super Moderator
May 26, 2004
Legian, Bali
Scout, Markit, I think you're being a bit harsh. Most single guys come here for the same reason, they're just not quite so honest about it. :icon_rolleyes:

Welread, when you arrive in Bali, please just be respectful to the local people. Don't walk around shirtless, with a beer in your hand like so many tourists do here. As in your own country, it's really not polite and DOES upset the locals (even if they're too polite to say so).

Hope you have a good time in Bali.

scout

Jun 25, 2010
Ubud
Scout, Markit, I think you're being a bit harsh. Most single guys come here for the same reason, they're just not quite so honest about it. :icon_rolleyes:

Welread, when you arrive in Bali, please just be respectful to the local people. Don't walk around shirtless, with a beer in your hand like so many tourists do here. As in your own country, it's really not polite and DOES upset the locals (even if they're too polite to say so).

Maybe my comments were a bit harsh, but I am just sick of this attitude. What about coming here for the first time, and being excited to see the culture, and way the balinese live, the temples and the ceremonies. :icon_cry:

wellred

Oct 6, 2010

Thanks. If there's one thing I hate it's British yobs who walk around shirtless. I know they can get away with it in Pattaya but the only time id ever be shirtless is if I went swimming. Otherwise id usually be in shorts and a shirt or t shirt.

Maybe my comments were a bit harsh, but I am just sick of this attitude. What about coming here for the first time, and being excited to see the culture, and way the balinese live, the temples and the ceremonies. :icon_cry:

What makes you think I am not also interested in seeing the culture, temples ect...? Because I didn't start with that? I have plenty of info on sites to see so felt no reason to ask anything specifically on that here. But if you feel by me not initially mentioning it that im only coming to Bali for mongering then that's 'up to you'.

cheynewalk

Jun 22, 2010
wellred,

there seems to be many "daniels come to judge" here.. The fact is sanur is absolutely riddled with p4p places ....... they're just a little more subtle than the bars in thailand ........ you can get happy endings in many massage parlours here and a girl short time costs around 200,000 rupiah and a long time about 400,000, depending on your negotiating skills ............. in the coffee shops of denpasar the local men generally pay much less, but these places can be dingy dives ........most of the working girls are not balinese, however you do find the odd one ......... .

small beers vary between 15,000 - 20,000 rupiah ......... cheap guesthouses with fan/cold water shower cost about 100,000 and prices go up from there

have fun!

Effie

Feb 26, 2010
wellred,

there seems to be many "daniels come to judge" here.. The fact is sanur is absolutely riddled with p4p places ....... they're just a little more subtle than the bars in thailand ........ you can get happy endings in many massage parlours here and a girl short time costs around 200,000 rupiah and a long time about 400,000, depending on your negotiating skills ............. in the coffee shops of denpasar the local men generally pay much less, but these places can be dingy dives ........most of the working girls are not balinese, however you do find the odd one ......... .

small beers vary between 15,000 - 20,000 rupiah ......... cheap guesthouses with fan/cold water shower cost about 100,000 and prices go up from there

have fun!

Scout - have you ever considered that people want dfferent things out of their holiday than what you want? People work their ass off all year to save for their holiday - I think they have the right to do what they want.
Welred - Bali isn't Thailand. Sanur isn't hip, hop and happening but you are only a fiver away from Kuta where the action really is.
The prostitutes are based in Sanur. There are bemos that go round Sanur with girls in the back or you can down one of the gangs and find yourself a girl.
The beer is between a pound and two pound depending on the establishment.
You can get a really nice room on Sanur High street at one of the 'Rita' hotels' for about £15 a night which will be nice, really nice actually (no tv) and aircon and very clean.
You could easily stay here comfortably with no prossies for about £60 a day - this is not worrying about budget and spending what you like.
I think prossies are about £20 a go go.
Good Luck.

matsaleh

Super Moderator
May 26, 2004
Legian, Bali
Why dont you tell us about this new venture Mats? Maybe we all might visit! :icon_wink:
It's a bit off topic goldminer, but since you asked, we've taken the contract on a small hotel in Kerobokan. Previously it was a homestay, but after a 5 month renovation(!) we're now advertising as a small boutique-style hotel. We're located in jalan Pengubengan Kauh, not far from the gaol.

Our website is here:
Puri Dukuh Accommodation

matsaleh

Super Moderator
May 26, 2004
Legian, Bali
Here's some more up-to-date photos.

Attachments

• Communal Area outside Room 3.jpg
    Communal Area outside Room 3.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 75
  • Pool by night.jpg